Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 07:25 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agfa Isolette II

I found this camera in a charity shop for £12.50 in 2012. Amazingly, it all worked and had no pinholes in the bellows. I took it around the world with me in 2013 as my medium format option. When I picked-up my Zeiss Ikon Nettar in 2014 I've tended to put BW film in one and colour in the other. They are very similar in operation with no rangefinder or lightmeter. Since getting my Super Ikonta IV recently, they have sadly taken more of a back seat.

As is often the case with post-war folders, the model comes with a variety of lenses and shutters. Mine is the cheaper Agnar lens with a Pronto shutter.

Agfa Isolette II par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Portra 160

Sydney Opera House par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Hercules par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Bethesda again par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Portra 400

A fisherman's house in the Lofoten Islands par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

How modern! par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Ilford Delta 400

Old meets new (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Expired Fuji RMS 100 shot at 64

Mike and the Lotus par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Kodak Tri-X

Wells Cathedral nave par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Wells Cathedral cloister (I) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

02-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super cool! Lovely images. Looks like that lens is really sharp.
Do you have a Lotus 7? As a car guy (petrol head in Europe?) now I like you even more...
**EDIT** It says Mike, I read Me.... but I still like you

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 02-22-2022 at 09:02 AM.
02-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Super cool! Lovely images. Looks like that lens is really sharp.
Do you have a Lotus 7? As a car guy (petrol head in Europe?) now I like you even more...
**EDIT** It says Mike, I read Me.... but I still like you

Thanks,
Ismael
That's my friend Mike. He is definitely a petrol head mainly with an interest in classic cars.

As I was scrolling down the posting just now it struck me how widespread those pictures were: Sydney, San Francisco, New York, the Lofoten Islands (Norway), Frankfurt, New York again... Just makes me realise how little I have travelled in the last two years.
02-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #4

Another motorhead here, and, while I enjoyed seeing the 7, I honestly think the cathedral shots are my favorites of that series.
I once had a video game that allowed me the option to drive that Lotus on various real and imagined tracks, and it was a beast to control at full speed. Very sensitive to input, both steering and throttle. It was still one of my favorite cars in the game. (The Elise was another.)

02-23-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the San Francisco shots as well as the 7. This from yet another motorhead with a few stalled projects, and a closet dream of building my own wooden boat, albeit a very small one. 😀
02-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI
I have a Isolette III. I also have an Ansco Speedex Special R ( another name for the Isolette series). Both have excellent sharp lenses. The triplet design was a solid performer for a number of cameras. They both use series 5 filters which can be found on eBay. The needed holder which is a press-on design takes a little research to find. Both do well in color and also B&W. The usual B&W filters are cheap to get. A polarizer filter can be found but are not easy to use. If you are going to use Cinestill 800 there is a large number of 85b filters available.
These cameras use a lubricant that is green in color and turns into cement making the rangefinder impossible to use. I sent mine out and for a reasonable cost the lubricant was replaced and they work great now. I use both of mine still and am glad to see that others have them and are used.

Herb
02-24-2022, 12:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have a yellow and an orange filter that fit the Isolette. They just push onto the lens. I haven't seen, but haven't looked for, a polariser. It would be a challenge to use as one isn't looking through the lens.

Thankfully mine isn't stiff. Maybe it had an earlier service.

K.

01-08-2023, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Isolettes, I have some in several states of repair. My favorite is the prewar 6x6-6x4 is

FRONT: Jsolette (6x6/6x4) - Isolette II, Jsolette
BACK: Jsolette - ANSCO Speedex 4.5

Last edited by titrisol; 06-18-2023 at 03:03 PM.
02-28-2023, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I found this camera in a charity shop for £12.50 in 2012. Amazingly, it all worked and had no pinholes in the bellows. I took it around the world with me in 2013 as my medium format option. When I picked-up my Zeiss Ikon Nettar in 2014 I've tended to put BW film in one and colour in the other. They are very similar in operation with no rangefinder or lightmeter. Since getting my Super Ikonta IV recently, they have sadly taken more of a back seat.

As is often the case with post-war folders, the model comes with a variety of lenses and shutters. Mine is the cheaper Agnar lens with a Pronto shutter.

Agfa Isolette II par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Portra 160

Sydney Opera House par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Hercules par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Bethesda again par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Portra 400

A fisherman's house in the Lofoten Islands par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

How modern! par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Ilford Delta 400

Old meets new (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Expired Fuji RMS 100 shot at 64

Mike and the Lotus par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Kodak Tri-X

Wells Cathedral nave par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Wells Cathedral cloister (I) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Those images look much sharper than my Yashicaflex A. I may need to upgrade
03-02-2023, 02:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I love Isolettes, I have some in several states of repair. My favorite is the prewar 6x6-6x4 is
I just picked one up on FleaBay for $13 dollars and 50 cents. It's the one in your photo top right hand side. The shutter switch is on the lens itself. It's actually embossed on the back as an Isolette V which I believe is the precursor to the Isolette I. I'm hoping it works
03-03-2023, 11:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Shutter is very easy to maintain and repair, but the bellows is the weak point on this cameras.
Especially in the post-war versions, check for pinholes in the corner and fix with black fabric glue
03-03-2023, 04:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Shutter is very easy to maintain and repair, but the bellows is the weak point on this cameras.
Especially in the post-war versions, check for pinholes in the corner and fix with black fabric glue
I will look for that. Have you run film through yours?
03-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I will look for that. Have you run film through yours?
I have run film thorugh all of them, (I have another 3 or 4 dissassembled or "for parts")

From the postwars Jsolettes, Agnars are surprisingly good lenses in the center, and results have tons of character
Apotars are similar but better corrected, and I only have 1 Solinar (Tessar) which is a very good one.

My favorite is the prewar (black top) 6/4. This one originally had a Jgestar lens, but the shutter was kaput.
Back in 2003 Jurgen Kreckler (CERTO6) helped me restoring that one, and I changed the lens with a post-war Apotar with a compur
Fast forward to 2022, I fixed the shutter and will use it in another one I'm finishing restoring

Prewar Agfa Jsolette - Soldier's camera

Last edited by titrisol; 03-04-2023 at 08:43 AM.
03-04-2023, 03:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just picked one up on FleaBay for $13 dollars and 50 cents. It's the one in your photo top right hand side. The shutter switch is on the lens itself. It's actually embossed on the back as an Isolette V which I believe is the precursor to the Isolette I. I'm hoping it works
I had to find mine, had it in storage. It is labeled Ansco Speedex 4.5 and the top is beautifully brassed.
Lens f/4.5 85mm Agnar, with Vario shutter (B-25-50-200)
The shutter is on the front, and there is a tab to keep the shutter open in B mode (marked T)
Red window in the back has no metal tab to close it.
03-13-2023, 05:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are awesome cameras. Especially when used with B&W film. Quiet and the negative size is easy to work with in the darkroom. In the olden days I wold have been insanely jealous of you.