Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 10:51 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak Pony 135: Interesting 35mm from 1950

In the late 1940's, Kodak launched the first "Pony" camera. This series was designed by Arthur Crapsey, one of the most influential Kodak camera designers of the 1940's to the 1960s. The first model was the Pony 828: A simple camera that used 828 film (35mm roll film). In 1950 the Pony 135 was launched. It was similar to the 828 but used the 35mm format we know today. These cameras are interesting because they were positioned just above the basic Brownie line, but below everything else with limited controls and features.
I personally consider these to be very attractive despite been a simple basic camera design. It is made of Bakelite plastic. The 135 was made from 1950 until 1954. It was replaced by the 135 Model B (1953-1955) and then by the Model C (1955-1958). Pony II and Pony IV complete the series, made until around 1962.
The 135 had a 51mm f4.5 Anaston lens. Rather slow even for its day, but overall decent optical performance. The shutter was a Kodak Flash 200: A simple leaf shutter with 2 leaves. Max shutter speed is 1/200s. Other speeds include 100, 50, 25 and Bulb. There is no rangefinder, just a simple viewfinder on top. Needless to say there is no light meter. The lens in the Pony 135 retracts for storage.

*EDIT* Interesting trivia: In the opening scene of Fresh Prince of Bel Air Will Smith has a camera that I'm sure is a Pony. Most likely a 828.

My specimen:
A friend gave me this as a thank you gift.

It shows signs of use but looks very good overall. However, the shutter is stuck.

Not surprisingly after 70+ years of dust, dirt and grime making its way into it.

I was able to decipher how it works and what every little part does.
So, what can possibly go wrong? I have no idea or previous experience with these. Just going with logic and courage

After an intense battle cleaning the shutter, including drenching it in lighter fluid 3-4 times, I finally won.
The best way to show this is with a short video:

End of the story right? No wait, I need to put everything back together with no missing or extra parts. Everything was cleaned in the process including the viewfinder lenses.

Why am I getting a dentist vibe with this picture?

End of the story, right? Wait! Putting everything together but how about the lens calibration? It had to be taken out so it needs to be collimated. I don't have fancy collimation equipment, so I did my own version.

Presenting my million dollar home brewed collimation setup: Precision Ground glass replaced with sanded down recycled plastic. Target crosshairs replaced with thin strips of masking tape. Fancy fasteners replaced with blue masking tape.

Fancy Collimation equipment replaced with DSLR with manual lens set at infinity.

Looks like a success! I was able to adjust until the crosshairs were tack sharp

Now I can complete the assembly.
The viewfinder had some scratches. I polished them out the best I could but you can still see traces of them.

No issue as it is not seen when using the viewfinder, which is now squeaky clean and bright.

May I present for your approval: My "new" Kodak Pony 135

I may be biased, but I find this camera very attractive and beautiful.

The lens twists and locks into position

All screws were removed and polished.

All systems are GO! All it needs now is to be unleashed into the wild. Can't wait to run a roll thru it!

Its leather case is another story for another installment. It is worn and will need some TLC. But that will be later.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 02-23-2022 at 11:02 AM.
02-23-2022, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing work. Is Kodak Anaston the sister of Jennifer from Friends?
02-23-2022, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother sent me a model C for Christmas last year. No plans to clean it up like you did. Although I might if I knew what I was doing. But I do plan on picking up a roll of film sometime in the near future and give it a whirl. Seems to be in working order and the owner's manual came with it. My lens is 44mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
02-23-2022, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A beautiful piece of equipment/history.

02-23-2022, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is some history on that little camera. Nice restoration on it as well. Can hardly wait to see the pictures.
02-23-2022, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

51 mm FL seems odd/uncommon. I would have thought it would be rounded to 50 mm.
02-25-2022, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
*MAJOR UPDATE*

This camera has the honor to be the first one to be tested with my new shutter tester!
After years of searching I finally scored a shutter tester! Still need to learn it but I already figured out the basics.
So here are the test result:

Shutter set at 1/20s

Shutter set at 1/50s

Shutter set at 1/100s

Shutter set at 1/200s

Summary:

Not bad for ~70 years! This will give me a good idea to compensate when I shoot with it, but with film's latitude it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Ismael

02-25-2022, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic work, Ismael. I'm no longer surprised, yet always amazed, with your dedication and ingenuity. What a great little camera that is, and a wonderful job you've done revitalising it

Regarding infinty focus setting, I've read about this method before, but yours is a particularly nice implementation with the faux-ground-glass plastic sheet I'll be using your method to check the supposed infinity settings on a couple of my older cameras and rangefinder lenses, and also to work out the marked landscape / group / portrait distances on my "toy" Holga and Diana cameras - so thanks sincerely for the lesson!
03-13-2022, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
X-posted:

Hello,

Pardon the crappy cell phone pic (pretty crappy huh?)

Both the Kodak Pony 135 Model A and the Kodak Junior Six-20 went out today and survived a roll each.
They have submitted their graduation tests: Kodak Gold 200 and Portra 160 (respooled for 620) respectively.
Heading to the post office first thing in the morning.
The 127 squad; Brownie Starflex and Vest Pocket Kodak, the first two graduates of this year, proudly watch in the background.

*EDIT*

Edgar (forum name e_nogueras) was looking for wildlife to photograph when he noticed this monkey using a Pony 135
K3-III and HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm @ 230mm, f4.5

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 03-13-2022 at 07:47 PM.
03-13-2022, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
X-posted:

Edgar (forum name e_nogueras) was looking for wildlife to photograph when he noticed this monkey using a Pony 135
K3-III and HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm @ 230mm, f4.5

Thanks,
Ismael
Wildlife was a bit camera shy and did not smiled for the photo.
03-14-2022, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking forward to seeing the results when you get the film back.
03-14-2022, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #12

My cousin had one of those. I had a later model that did not have the retracting lens. The shutter was sticky and I was going to work on it but some bandits broke into my sister's house and one of the many items they stole was the Pony. I was bummed out.
03-19-2022, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This story is far from over

Hello,

This story is far from over.
Bear with me for a moment.

So I got notification that the online scans were ready to download which I quickly did very excited. But my heart sunk when I saw this:

MASSIVE light leaks on all but the last frame. Panicked for a few minutes, then regrouped myself to analyze what was going on.

These cameras use no light seals. But without the negatives on hand (in transit) I can't tell if the leak is coming from the front or elsewhere. Or so I thought. Then I started looking closely at the frames and the patterns of the leaks. Long story short, after a lot of analysis, I concluded the leak was most likely coming from the latch area. If I had used the half cover, it may have go un-noticed.
Then I took a good look at the camera itself again. BINGO! How on Earth did I miss this?
Bakelite is a phenolic plastic that is durable but very brittle. And this camera is over 70 years old.

I found the back cover has 2 missing chips in the latch that acts as, you guessed it, a light seal.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a simple fix. After the 12 Hours of Sebring race is over (hoping my Corvette team wins), I'll simply add a flat black piece of plastic. Then eventually try again.

The scans also look underexposed, but that could be the roll as it expired several years ago. However, some cropping and there are still a few promising frames.

Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Ismael
03-19-2022, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer, I was hoping they would be perfect. We'll, fix the light leak and try again. 😁
03-20-2022, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

After celebrating the Corvette win at the Sebring race, I did a tape template and transferred to a light seal material.
Light Seal for Pony 135 Model A Patent Pending: 70 years later

And on this episode of "PIMP my ride":

I also had a chance this weekend to work on the original leather case.

Before:

After:

Time Capsule

The belt is a lost cause. Breaking in multiple places. Planning on making a new belt but will try to recycle the hardware.

Ready for Round 2!

Thanks,
Ismael