Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2022, 03:42 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zorki 4

According to Wikipedia, the Zorki 4 was made between 1956 and 1973. It was a very popular camera with 1,715,677 made (curiously precise number that ). My example was made in 1965 according to the serial number (the first two digits are the year of manufacture). There are multiple slight variants but I have never bothered to work out which mine is.

The camera works fine, or did when I last used it. I've not used mine very much simply because when I want to use a rangefinder I use my FED2 for the extremely good reason that the FED was a present from my wife, and the Zorki was a case of GAS... I should give it another whirl as it seems to be functionally fine.

Zorki 4 (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Zorki 4 (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Zorki 4 (3) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

And some example photos, all taken on the much missed (by me anyway) Kodak BW400CN film.

Gandhi, Tavistock Square par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The City of London par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Between the Lines, Fisher Square, Cambridge par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Cambridge par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

The Victoria and Albert Museum par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

03-05-2022, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful rangefinder! That Jupiter 8 lens is sharp.
Took a quick look online and there are as many as 32 different variations!
I liked BW400CN too. I still have a roll or two left in my fridge.

Thanks,
Ismael
03-05-2022, 06:01 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
all taken on the much missed (by me anyway) Kodak BW400CN film.
That film is a personal favorite of mine to run through my RF cameras, I still have a few bricks of it left in my deep freezer. Ilford XP2 just doesn't have the same rich tonality as BW400CN does: To my eyes, images printed from XP2 often come out looking rather flat.
03-05-2022, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice example.

My Zorki is a 4K, though I have often wished it were it were knob feed rather than lever. The lever is sort of fussy at times and may require a free "snap back" in order to catch to allow cock/advance. I might also mention that the silver version J-8 is nicer looking in my book than my black version and that I have strap lug envy.

Steve

03-06-2022, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up a zorki really cheap and passed it on to a charity shop. I have since sold my soul to film and want another zorki!

Regrets, I have a few!

I have a lovely voigtlander vitomatic ii but the rangefinder is a bit off. Its a wonderful thing though and currently has some Rollei superpan in it

Quick question, OK, possibly not quick, Fed or Zorki? And are any variants to be avoided?
03-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I never quite "gelled" with my Zorki-4k, just a little too "bulky", despite it having a lever wind and a good range of shutter speeds, but my Zorki-6, with it's longer rangefinder base, somehow captured my imagination, especially with my Orion-15 28mm or Jupiter-12 35mm lens fitted
Happy days!
03-06-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful camera.

03-07-2022, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely camera and images Kris.

I once tried a Zorki 4K with I-61 L/D lens. What I really wanted was a Zorki 6...

Chris
03-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Fed or Zorki? And are any variants to be avoided?
My FED-2 is compact and nimble and I don't miss the slow speeds. It is PEO475 on the page below:

Soviet and Russian Cameras - Fed-2

Avoid FED-2 variants with short rangefinder base (window above lens)
I would not buy a FED model other than the FED-2 unless I had a compelling reason.

If I were to replace my Zorki 4K, it would be with a Zorki 4 2nd Version (1960-1966) having modern slow speed sequence (1s, 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/15s, 1/30s) and engraved lettering and scales and strap lugs. The target variant would be PM1750 on the page below:

Soviet and Russian Cameras - Zorki-4

Other variants in that year range may work, though the engraved markings should be confirmed before purchase. Silk-screened markings (particularly shutter speed) will rub off with use.

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
There are multiple slight variants but I have never bothered to work out which mine is.
Yours is PM1765 at the page at Soviet Cams linked above (assuming your camera's markings are engraved).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-08-2022 at 06:42 PM.
03-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My FED-2 is compact and nimble and I don't miss the slow speeds. It is PEO475 on the page below:

Soviet and Russian Cameras - Fed-2

Avoid FED-2 variants with short rangefinder base (window above lens)
I would not buy a FED model other than the FED-2 unless I had a compelling reason.

If I were to replace my Zorki 4K, it would be with a Zorki 4 2nd Version (1960-1966) having modern slow speed sequence (1s, 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/15s, 1/30s) and engraved lettering and scales and strap lugs. The target variant would be PM1750 on the page below:

Soviet and Russian Cameras - Zorki-4

Other variants in that year range may work, though the engraved markings should be confirmed before purchase. Silk-screened markings (particularly shutter speed) will rub off with use.

Yours is PM1765 at the page at Soviet Cams linked above.

Steve
Brilliant. Thanks
03-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll second the suggestion for a Fed 2. Mine's a PEO395 with no self timer.

It's clunky and weird, like a Soviet camera should be, but it's well made and takes good pictures.

I also don't miss the slow speeds... if I really need them, I'll try it on Bulb and assume I'll be wrong

-Eric
11-01-2023, 06:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have a 1958 example (PM1740 according to SovietCams)
I bought it a while ago and had it in a box since the shutter curtains need replacement
I took it out to see if the Jupiter8 could work on a Leica III I recently received.

It is interesting, it has a heritage part Leica, part Contax and seems to work fine.
Film rewind is weird, and the speeds are somehow off but feels good in the hand.

Now, the lenses are supposedly interchangeable with Leica but it seems not. The cam that pushes the RF has different lengths and while the lens is well focused according to the lens markings, the RF is off by a lot.

Last edited by titrisol; 11-19-2023 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added photo
11-18-2023, 04:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently picked up a Fed 1g for the princely sum of £14 because it was listed as "unknown camera" lol. The vulcanite is falling off, which is fine, but the shutter and rangefinder work great. The only problem is with the wind. When you wind it on and get to the end it unwinds slightly. God knows what the issue is but for the price I paid I can afford to get it sorted. Its a lovely little thing....unless you have just been shooting a genuine Leica in which case it is rough and ready lol
11-18-2023, 05:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sometimes wonder what a fully serviced Soviet vintage camera would be like...
I wouldn't expect Leica-like levels of smoothness, of course, but it would be nice if I knew of someone who could do a really thorough CLA to my little FED2...

-Eric
11-19-2023, 04:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I sometimes wonder what a fully serviced Soviet vintage camera would be like...
I wouldn't expect Leica-like levels of smoothness, of course, but it would be nice if I knew of someone who could do a really thorough CLA to my little FED2...

-Eric
I doubt you would lose the rugged nature of the camera, unless the engineer remachined the whole thing lol. I rather like the feel of Russian cameras. I have a really nice Fed 3 mk1 that is a joy to use. I think the benefit of a cla that I would be hoping for would be reliability. Funny thing is, my engineer of choice loves stripping down leaf shutters but is reluctant to touch my Fed1, despite its simplicity.