Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak Pony 135 Model B: 1953-1955

Hello,

In 1949, Kodak launched the "Pony" series of cameras. The name Pony was previously used in the late 19th century and early 20th century for some Premo folding cameras but that is totally unrelated. This new Pony series was designed by Arthur Crapsey, one of the most influential Kodak camera designers of the 1940's up to the 1960s. The bodies of these cameras were made of bakelite, a phenolic plastic that was very popular at the time. The first model was the Pony 828: A camera that used 828 film (35mm wide roll film). In 1950 the Pony 135 was launched. It was similar to the 828 but used the 135 format: the 35mm film we know today. All other subsequent "Ponies" used this 135 format we know today simply as 35mm. These cameras were positioned above the basic Brownie line as entry level cameras into the small format of film.
In 1953, the updated Pony 135 Model B was launched. It retained the same basic lens/shutter combo of the Model A and the 828: The 3 element 51mm f4.5 Anaston lens. The shutter was the Kodak Flash 200: A simple leaf shutter with 2 leaves and flash trigger. Max shutter speed is 1/200s. Other speeds include 100, 50, 25 and Bulb. Front element focusing is by guesstimating the distance. There is no rangefinder, just a simple viewfinder on top. Needless to say there is no light meter. The shutter/lens combo retracts for storage. Compared to the Model A, this Model B had minor improvements in the film advance spool and added a spring to keep tension on the film cassette. In 1955 it was replaced with the Model C that used a different shutter and a different lens. This Model B retailed around $35-$39 range.

As a sidenote, I found an error in the reference books I use:
I found an error in Coe's and in McKeown's, 2 main reference books!!! - PentaxForums.com

My specimen:
I received this Pony Model B in exchange for some work. My currency is either coffee cups or old cameras.

It was not working and dirty. Very typical of these. Grime and dirt get to the shutter over the years and prevent proper operation.

Very typical, these viewfinders get moldy inside

After more than half a dozen Ponies serviced, this is now becoming almost second nature now.

Did not take any pics of the disassembled top but it was taken apart to clean the viewfinder lenses thoroughly and polish all metal parts. As a pet peeve of mine, I polish the screws even if not seen. I know, I'm not normal.

The end result:

Shutter speeds accuracy is acceptable, similar to my Model A.

Strap was cleaned and the buckles polished

The leather case that came with it also received a lot of TLC. Unfortunately the thumb screw is missing. I did a temporary one (not shown).

Ready for the world!
I hope you approve not only the camera but also the error found in the books

Thanks,
Ismael

03-31-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy the history that you provide along with your excellent restoration techniques. Your display case must be stunning.
12-18-2022, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PICTURES!

Hello,

While been worked on very early this year, it wasn't until November I was able to get a roll into this camera for testing. So the last 2 test rolls of 2022 were an Ektar roll in the Pony 135 Model C and a Black and White roll (BW400CN) in this one.
Check the results of the Ektar roll with the Model C camera in this link:Pony 135 Model C: 13 years restoration project? The ultimate Pony? - PentaxForums.com
I just downloaded the online scans. Here are some samples.
I resized, added a hint of contrast and the signature. Otherwise untouched. Once I receive the negatives back I'll see if I can improve on these with my own scans. Most of these using sunny 16 and calculating exposure in my head. A few frames have heavy evidence of dust. A common problem with bakelite cameras.

Thanksgiving. Told them not to move, but of course they didn't listen. Bulb exposure of almost a second. Cable release and tripod of course.

MFD

My favorite as I have this thing for machinery...

Who said you can't do panning and tracking with an old camera?

This old aircraft has been there for decades. The day after I took this shot, it burned! Apparently a brush fire got to it.

At sunset, quickly running out of light. The sea was very rough.

I'm very happy with these results!

Thanks,
Ismael