Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2022, 06:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pony 135 Model C: 13 years restoration project? The ultimate Pony?

Hello,

As previously stated in my other Pony posts, Kodak launched the "Pony" series of cameras in 1949. The name Pony was previously used in the late 19th century and early 20th century for some Premo folding cameras but that is totally unrelated. This new Pony series was designed by Arthur Crapsey, one of the most influential Kodak camera designers of the 1940's up to the 1960s. The bodies of these cameras were made of bakelite, a phenolic plastic that was very popular at the time. The first model was the Pony 828: A camera that used 828 film (35mm wide roll film). In 1950 the Pony 135 was launched. It was similar to the 828 but used the 135 format: the 35mm film we know today. All other subsequent "Ponies" used this 135 format we know today simply as 35mm. These cameras were positioned above the basic Brownie line as entry level cameras into the small format of 35mm film.
In 1953, the slightly updated Pony 135 Model B was launched. It retained the same basic lens/shutter combo of the Model A and the 828: The 3 element 51mm f4.5 Anaston lens and the Kodak Flash 200 shutter.
In 1955 the Model C was launched. It was the last Pony 135 and the most advanced of the three. It evolved to a faster Anaston 44mm f3.5 lens and the shutter was now a Kodak Flash 300 Shutter, an evolution of the previous 200 model but with a higher max shutter speed of 1/300s. It was a leaf shutter with 2 leaves and flash trigger. Other speeds include 100, 50, 25 and Bulb. Front element focusing is by guesstimating the distance. There is no rangefinder, just a simple viewfinder on top. Needless to say there is no light meter. The lens/shutter assembly was now fixed, instead of the retracting previous models. All previous ponies had black bodies. The Model C was a dark redish brown, a popular color in bakelite products. This Model C was discontinued in 1958.

As a sidenote, I found an error in the reference books I use regarding Pony 135s:
I found an error in Coe's and in McKeown's, 2 main reference books!!! - PentaxForums.com

My specimen:
Worth noting: I don't have a Geiger counter (yet) but I suspect this lens is radioactive. Another Model C Pony I serviced before had the front element slightly yellowed. That is not conclusive evidence but it is somewhat typical of. My Model C is not yellowed (or it may have the slightest undetected hint of it) but I found an online reference testing one of these and it was in fact radioactive. It has been confirmed that the lens in the Pony IV, the next model after this one, is radioactive because of thorium oxide used in the glass.
This is a very sensitive topic because people jump at the word. The truth is it's been demonstrated these levels are really low and should not pose a health risk to the average user. However, a big risk is if a radioactive lens chips or shatters, then it will create radioactive dust and particles. That could be an issue because you can breathe it or it can travel uncontained. To me it is important to know because I take them apart and I need to be extra careful handling glass elements.

Anyways, my Model C has a long (and hopefully interesting) story on itself.
Somewhere around late 2009, I started to get more interested in vintage cameras. I did not consider my K1000 vintage as I bought it new in '89. This Pony 135 Model C was one of the first old cameras I got with the intention of cleaning and using. I remember purchasing it as part of a junk lot of about 8 old beaten cameras on eBay. Back then, to put it mildly, I had no idea what the heck I was doing! Not surprisingly, the camera was dirty. So was the lens. So I started taking the lens apart. I was able to clean it and thought I was doing great!
The viewfinder was moldy but I had no idea how to get to it. Just cleaned the outside.

Pictures from 2009 (my younger hands!)

I put it back together and cleaned it. Beautiful!

I ran a roll thru it...
Could not get ANYTHING in focus.

Of course! The lens was not collimated. It was simply slapped in place. As I said, I had no freaking idea of what the heck I was doing. Then I joined a vintage camera repair forum where I started discovering just how ignorant I was/am.
So in a box it went. Over the years, maybe once or twice I took it out to look how pretty it was but back in the box it went.

Fast forward to 2022: With a bit more experience, I have already serviced about half a dozen Ponies. I can take another crack at this one.
No pics of the process as it is the same as the others I've done. Took it all apart including shutter, lens and top. Everything was cleaned and reassembled. Then it was collimated.

The end result:

As usual, strap buckles were polished. These were also clearcoated.

The old cover was also worked.
Pic from 2009

As of now

The proverbial question: Is it working?
Look at these shutter speed tests:

Setting___Results
1/25_____1/32, 1/32, 1/34
1/50_____1/51, 1/49, 1/50
1/100____1/97, 1/101, 1/86, 1/98
1/300____1/312, 1/303, 1/264, 1/380

Can't wait to test it! This camera will most likely jump to the front of the line.

I hope you approve!

Thanks,
Ismael

04-01-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can hardly wait to see the pictures. With all these ponies you have under the hood, you can really go places. 😁
12-18-2022, 07:45 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PICTURES!

Hello,

WOW! I was finally able to test this camera with a roll of Ektar. While worked on earlier this year, it wasn't until November I was able to get a roll into this camera for testing. So the last 2 test rolls of 2022 were a Black and White roll in the Pony 135 Model B and an Ektar roll in this Pony 135 Model C.
Check the results of the B/W roll in the Model B camera in this link: Kodak Pony 135 Model B: 1953-1955 - PentaxForums.com

I just downloaded the online scans. Here are some samples. Untouched scans except for resize and added signature.
Many of these using sunny 16 and calculating exposure in my head.

Wow! the reason why Ektar exists

Imagine the feeling of been able to capture a rainbow back in the days when color film appeared!

Who said you can't do panning and tracking with an old camera?

This old aircraft has been there for decades. The day after this picture was taken it burned! Apparently a brush fire got to it.

Golden hour

The sea was very rough

Sorry for so many pics but I am really happy! I see that while the center is very sharp, the sides on several shots are not. Maybe it is related to the aperture used but I did not record anything on these. Just had fun.

Thanks,
Ismael
12-19-2022, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MY MANNN!!!
Well done

Those radioactive Ektars with lead and thorium are amazing!

12-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang! Nicely done Ismael. Great shots.
12-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Goes to show, with proper care(or the Ismael touch), you can get great photos out of old cameras of any kind.