Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2022, 08:55 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak Tourist II: The end of an era?

Hello,

Bellows have always been part of photography. From the very early days in the mid 19th century until today's specialty cameras like large format. But for decades, bellows were also an important part of amateur cameras from the 19th century all the way thru the second half the 20th century. Bellows allowed designs to accommodate the required focusing distances from lenses to film planes and at the same time providing flexibility and compactness for storage and transportation. Not surprisingly, bellows were a weak point as the constant opening and closure, combined with less than optimal care, eventually caused them to fail by breaking and developing light leaking holes.
Kodak dominated the market for decades. By the late 1930's, advancements in materials (like bakelite, tenite, diecast aluminum, etc. ) and advancements in technology (like optics and smaller film formats like 35mm) started to pave the way for more complex and higher precision designs that could eliminate the need for bellows.
The Kodak Tourist II was launched in 1951 and was discontinued in 1958. It was the evolution of the Tourist I launched in 1948, which in itself was the evolution of decades of folding roll film cameras.
The Tourist II used 620 film. It has an aluminum body and a plastic top that houses a fixed viewfinder and the film managing knobs. I'm pretty sure the top is made of Tenite, a thermoplastic developed by Eastman's chemical division. This self erecting folder had a tripod socket and incorporated a bed mounted shutter release that was advertised as "jiggle-proof shutter release".
The Tourist II was available in multiple lens/shutter combinations during its production run. From basic single instantaneous speed shutters - f12.5 lens to Syncro-Rapid 800 shutter - Anastar f4.5 lens. All shutters had flash sync ports.
A very peculiar feature of this camera was its back door. It could swing open to the right, to the left or removed completely. Adapter kits were sold separately to allow it to use 828 film.
To the best of my knowledge, the Tourist II was the last folding model made by Kodak that used bellows, marking the end of the era of the folding roll film cameras.
*EDIT* In the US. @kypfer reports below the 66 Model III was built in the UK from 1958 to 1960. Thanks kypfer! .

My specimen:
When I was finishing restoring my Junior six-20 Model II, I ran into a problem with the shutter and had to do a repair. I was not sure if the repair was going to hold (it eventually did). I started thinking I really want a nice bellows folder with real shutter speeds and real aperture control that can withstand some use. So I broke my own rule of no camera purchases in 2022 and hunted this baby down.

Kodak Tourist II with Anaston f6.3 lens and Flash Diomatic shutter
This particular combination was only made from June 1951 to May 1952

The 70 years old box has seen better days but it is still there. The user manual has a print date of March 1951.

LOVE THESE SURPRISES!
A hand written record of several rolls! EXIF from the past!
Recorded the picture, conditions of the day, distance, shutter speed and aperture!
Many pictures of Diane and trains!

Original unused price tag

Oh yes, the camera. Looks used and dirty but solid.

Dirty and dusty but looks solid. Bellows seems perfectly fine. Lens seems to be a bit hazy.

ANOTHER SURPRISE! An exposed roll! But not just any roll. This is a KODACOLOR-X C-22 process roll! This film was discontinued in 1974! So this camera has not been used in at least 50 years!

Signs of use but mostly dirty.

This camera is in remarkably good shape! What I thought was haze was just plain dust. The shutter is working beautifully and the lens is very clean. Bellows are solid and light-tight. No need to take anything apart here! The lens have a little spec of dust inside, but it is not really worth the hassle of a full teardown just for that. I'll resist temptation. Just an external clean job.
The viewfinder is very dirty as well as the rest of the top. I'll try to clean from the outside. I'm inclined not to open this cam...

never mind
But it was only the top to access the viewfinder.

Presenting my "new" c1951 Kodak Tourist II Anaston f6.3 lens and Flash Diomatic shutter

As previously mentioned, a unique feature is the back can open to either side or removed completely

The box was re-glued and carefully cleaned trying to bring it back to life.

I mentioned the shutter was working beautifully.
How beautiful?

I hope you approve. This one is definitely going out soon.

Thanks,
Ismael

P.S. Work, family and other commitments are keeping me very busy. I'll most likely be away from the workbench for a few days.

Last edited by ismaelg; 04-05-2022 at 06:39 AM.
04-04-2022, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As always, Ismael, your work amazes me!

That looks as good as new. Thank you very much for sharing this delightful little camera with us.
04-04-2022, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful time capsule you found. The history that came with the camera is better than the camera itself. Is there any hope of even a few of the pictures on that roll having a chance of being saved?

You are going to make me research mine and see what all it is. You know I hate you, don't you? Ha !!

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 04-04-2022 at 10:41 PM.
04-04-2022, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great finding! Please keep us updated. Fascinating piece of history. I'm also very curious about developing this roll.

04-04-2022, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Looks super! I enjoy using these old folders. Have fun.
04-04-2022, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
To the best of my knowledge, the Tourist II was the last folding model made by Kodak that used bellows, marking the end of the era of the folding roll film cameras.
Kodak in the UK had the Kodak 66 Model III in production 'till 1960 … a favourite camera of mine for several years … it's still in the cupboard
kodak classics - mischa koning
04-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet! How cool would it be to develop the film and the record includes that roll?

04-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Super cool...

I have a Konica Pearl "semi" (645) folder that I'm very fond of.
It came with a roll of the same Kodacolor film (in 120)... let us know if you find a way to develop it...

-Eric
04-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Sweet! How cool would it be to develop the film and the record includes that roll?
I don't know if there's anyone still processing C-22 film as colour, but it'll give a monochrome image in b&w chemicals if you want to give it a go.
Take a "standard" dev time, add 50% or even double it to bring up the contrast out of the inevitable fog and you should at least get something recognisable, if not printable.
Be prepared for the ink on the backing paper to have adversely affected the emulsion ... the frame numbers etc. may well be clearly visible in any results
04-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey!!! I popped into the world in March of 1951 too!!!!

The Camera Shop in St. Paul Minnesota can still process C-22 films.
05-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #11

Hello,

Bellows have always been part of photography. From the very early days in the mid 19th century until today's specialty cameras like large format. But for decades, bellows were also an important part of amateur cameras from the 19th century all the way thru the second half the 20th century. Bellows allowed designs to accommodate the required focusing distances from lenses to film planes and at the same time providing flexibility and compactness for storage and transportation. Not surprisingly, bellows were a weak point as the constant opening and closure, combined with less than optimal care, eventually caused them to fail by breaking and developing light leaking holes.
Kodak dominated the market for decades. By the late 1930's, advancements in materials (like bakelite, tenite, diecast aluminum, etc. ) and advancements in technology (like optics and smaller film formats like 35mm) started to pave the way for more complex and higher precision designs that could eliminate the need for bellows.
The Kodak Tourist II was launched in 1951 and was discontinued in 1958. It was the evolution of the Tourist I launched in 1948, which in itself was the evolution of decades of folding roll film cameras.
The Tourist II used 620 film. It has an aluminum body and a plastic top that houses a fixed viewfinder and the film managing knobs. I'm pretty sure the top is made of Tenite, a thermoplastic developed by Eastman's chemical division. This self erecting folder had a tripod socket and incorporated a bed mounted shutter release that was advertised as "jiggle-proof shutter release".
The Tourist II was available in multiple lens/shutter combinations during its production run. From basic single instantaneous speed shutters - f12.5 lens to Syncro-Rapid 800 shutter - Anastar f4.5 lens. All shutters had flash sync ports.
A very peculiar feature of this camera was its back door. It could swing open to the right, to the left or removed completely. Adapter kits were sold separately to allow it to use 828 film.
*EDIT* In the US. @kypfer reports below the 66 Model III was built in the UK from 1958 to 1960. Thanks kypfer! .

My specimen:
When I was finishing restoring my Junior six-20 Model II, I ran into a problem with the shutter and had to do a repair. I was not sure if the repair was going to hold (it eventually did). I started thinking I really want a nice bellows folder with real shutter speeds and real aperture control that can withstand some use. So I broke my own rule of no camera purchases in 2022 and hunted this baby down.

Kodak Tourist II with Anaston f6.3 lens and Flash Diomatic shutter
This particular combination was only made from June 1951 to May 1952

The 70 years old box has seen better days but it is still there. The user manual has a print date of March 1951.

LOVE THESE SURPRISES!
A hand written record of several rolls! EXIF from the past!
Recorded the picture, conditions of the day, distance, shutter speed and aperture!
Many pictures of Diane and trains!

Original unused price tag

Oh yes, the camera. Looks used and dirty but solid.

Dirty and dusty but looks solid. Bellows seems perfectly fine. Lens seems to be a bit hazy.

ANOTHER SURPRISE! An exposed roll! But not just any roll. This is a KODACOLOR-X C-22 process roll! This film was discontinued in 1974! So this camera has not been used in at least 50 years!

Signs of use but mostly dirty.

This camera is in remarkably good shape! What I thought was haze was just plain dust. The shutter is working beautifully and the lens is very clean. Bellows are solid and light-tight. No need to take anything apart here! The lens have a little spec of dust inside, but it is not really worth the hassle of a full teardown just for that. I'll resist temptation. Just an external clean job.
The viewfinder is very dirty as well as the rest of the top. I'll try to clean from the outside. I'm inclined not to open this cam...

never mind
But it was only the top to access the viewfinder.

Presenting my "new" c1951 Kodak Tourist II Anaston f6.3 lens and Flash Diomatic shutter

As previously mentioned, a unique feature is the back can open to either side or removed completely

The box was re-glued and carefully cleaned trying to bring it back to life.

I mentioned the shutter was working beautifully.
How beautiful?

I hope you approve. This one is definitely going out soon.

Thanks,
Ismael

P.S. Work, family and other commitments are keeping me very busy. I'll most likely be away from the workbench for a few days.
Fantastic work!!! I have a few of them, fun cameras!!!
06-02-2022, 09:40 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
WE HAVE PICTURES!

Just received the online scans from The Darkroom! Negatives will be here in a few days.
I respooled a roll of Portra 160 to a 620 spool and off I went with this camera. No meter. Just Sunny 16 and adjusted accordingly. These are untouched scans except for resize and signature.

1/100 @ f11

Looks like scratches in the top right but I suppose that's more related to processing and handling than the camera itself. I don't think the camera can cause that.

Love this one!

I think that is a glare reflection. Still, love it!

My classic shot

These last 2 images in the roll don't make the cut but I'll show them anyways.
Failed miserably in vertical orientation.

These are all 8 images on the roll.
I'm very happy! What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael
06-03-2022, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

These are all 8 images on the roll.
I'm very happy! What do you think?
Thanks,
Ismael
Most of the lenses on Kodak cameras of that era were of good quality, especially if stopped down slightly.
Kodak were primarily interested in creating film sales, it made sense to provide cameras capable of good results to encourage their customers to take more pictures!
Your example proves the point
Well done!
06-03-2022, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Super results, you must be pleased.
06-03-2022, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice !