Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kodak Folding Cameras

I recently got a Kodak Special Six-20 folding camera (6x9), and even more recently it's slightly bigger brother the Kodak Special Six-16 (~6.5x11, took essentially "movie" film)(waiting for it to be delivered).

The Six-20 has a Kodak Anastigmat Special 100mm f4.5 lens, Compur Rapid shutter, 1/400 max shutter speed.
The Six-16 has pretty much the same lens as the 620, just with a longer focal length (Kodak Anastigmat Special 127mm f4.5 lens, Compur Rapid shutter, 1/400 max shutter speed)

Was wondering if anybody here shot any Kodak folding camera's before.

04-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I recently got a Kodak Special Six-20 folding camera (6x9), and even more recently it's slightly bigger brother the Kodak Special Six-16 (~6.5x11, took essentially "movie" film)(waiting for it to be delivered).
The Six-20 has a Kodak Anastigmat Special 100mm f4.5 lens, Compur Rapid shutter, 1/400 max shutter speed.
The Six-16 has pretty much the same lens as the 620, just with a longer focal length (Kodak Anastigmat Special 127mm f4.5 lens, Compur Rapid shutter, 1/400 max shutter speed)
Was wondering if anybody here shot any Kodak folding camera's before.
I used the Kodak 66 Model III regularly in the '80's-'90's … a favourite camera of mine for several years … it's still in the cupboard
kodak classics - mischa koning
04-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do and I love them!
For 620 you will need to respool 120 film. For the six-16 you can use adapters and use 120 film. You can check some of my threads for more info.

1937 Kodak Junior six-20 Series II (Resto+Research) - PentaxForums.com

102 years old camera with a surprise! - PentaxForums.com

I'm out of town but I can write some more probably tonight. Let me know if you have any specific question.

Thanks,
Ismael
04-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a big fan of the Retinas and Retinettes if you're into miniature formats

-Eric

04-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I do and I love them!
For 620 you will need to respool 120 film. For the six-16 you can use adapters and use 120 film. You can check some of my threads for more info.

1937 Kodak Junior six-20 Series II (Resto+Research) - PentaxForums.com

102 years old camera with a surprise! - PentaxForums.com

I'm out of town but I can write some more probably tonight. Let me know if you have any specific question.

Thanks,
Ismael
I found a video on youtube from FPP (Film photography project) on how to do the respooling, for me its the easiest one to do compared to other ones Ive seen.

For the Six16, I recently got a 616-to-120 adapter from FPP's website yesterday.

On the plus side, I got a bunch of 120 spools (from a trade) and was able to get some with the backing paper to practice with & to figure out the turns so frames dont overlap. I am looking to get some 620 spools through trade from anybody that has spares/unused ones laying around first to use in the Six-20, but if anything I could just modify some of the 120 spools I got to fit in it.

---------- Post added 04-06-22 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I'm a big fan of the Retinas and Retinettes if you're into miniature formats

-Eric
I liked those too, but for some reason 6x9 folding cameras always peaked my interest, mainly cuz with their aspect ratio being the same as 35mm, I saw them like a "Super 35" and been like "Oooh, shiney! Must get one!"😁 but the prices with some of the more "modern" ones (eg Fuji 6x9) was a pretty penny and a decent amount of folding cameras, well, weren't 😁

And after I got the Six-20, I found the Six-16 camera on ebay a few days after, and I was like "Weeeell, I got the 620, might as well got its bigger brother too while Im at it"
04-07-2022, 04:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Here are some suggestions you may want to consider:

1. Make sure the cameras are in proper working order
-Make sure the lens/shutter folds out and locks in place. Look for crooked alignment issues.
-Make sure the bellows are good. In the dark, shine a bright flashlight inside the bellows from different directions. Point up, down, left, right, etc inside the bellows. Look from the outside for light leaking thru any pinholes or tears. Pay special attention to fold corners.
-Open the lens in T mode and remove the back. Make sure the lens is clean. Minor dust inside may not be an issue. Look out for fungus, haze, cracks etc.
-Test the shutter at the different speeds. Make sure they work and at least "sound" about right.
-Test the aperture and make sure it opens and closes properly.
-Check the backs close tight.
-These cameras should have a small cover for the frame counter red window. Use it! If not, a small piece of electrical tape works fine. You don't want that window exposed more than needed. Only when advancing to the next frame. Keep in mind these cameras were made when film was ASA25, 50 etc. Today's film are far more sensitive and are full panchormatic (sensitive to all colors).

2.Respooling to 620
-Make sure you respool using 2 620 spools. Do not use a 120 as the middle spool as it will make the film bulge.
-When respooling, make sure the film is tightly wrapped in the spool. If the film is slightly loose it can get light leaks.
-After shooting, ensure the film is tight in the spool. Remove the exposed film in the dark if possible or at least not in strong light in case the film is not tight.

3.Using 116 or 616 film
-The adapters will let you use 120 film without respooling
- In 116 box cameras, the rule of thumb is 2 1/2 120 frames per 116/616 images. To play it safe, you can use 3 in the first roll to make sure. That means the first image is shot when the roll is showing frame #3. Next shot when the roll is showing #6 etc. But you will only get 5 images per roll. To squeeze 6 then you need to practice to advance only 2 1/2 frames. Makes sense?

4.Film (particularly negative film) has a ton of latitude. Don't be afraid to slightly overexpose. Better to overexpose a bit than under.

5. The most important part is: HAVE FUN! That's the whole point of this.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks,
Ismael