Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2022, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leica was the brand I really wanted in high school, so Leica is still the brand I window shop
I shot Pentax then, and 40 years later, still shoot Pentax.
If I won the lottery *maybe* I’d rethink my camera brand, but then again maybe not, maybe I’d just buy more Pentax gear

11-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Leica was the brand I really wanted in high school, so Leica is still the brand I window shop
I shot Pentax then, and 40 years later, still shoot Pentax.
If I won the lottery *maybe* I’d rethink my camera brand, but then again maybe not, maybe I’d just buy more Pentax gear
Like the "Ladies" said... you'd eat more Kraft Dinner, with Dijon Ketchup...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Had_%241000000

Yeah, if I won the lottery, I'd still shoot Pentax, but I'd buy at least one Leica...

-Eric
11-25-2022, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Leica about fifteen years ago.
When their prices hit bottom you could buy a nice used M2 for under a thousand dollars.

Leitz lenses are expensive but you can get some nice Cosina Voigtlander M-mount glass at very reasonable prices.

Chris
11-27-2022, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me 2

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Leica about fifteen years ago.
When their prices hit bottom you could buy a nice used M2 for under a thousand dollars.

Leitz lenses are expensive but you can get some nice Cosina Voigtlander M-mount glass at very reasonable prices.

Chris
And i am still kicking myselve for selling my M3 and M4 with lenses for less than 1000€ 15 years ago (needed the money back then) so to punish myselve i've recently bought an M2, M3, M4 and R8 (with lenses) for a whole lot more €€€, because my financial situation now has stabilised i was able to so. Another thing i felt sorry about was when i was on an assignement photographing a famous pianist, the guy wanted to exchange my then brand new nikon D300 against his leica M (can't remember wich), with noctilux 50 0.95. I had to refrain from the deal as i needed the D300 for the job and the leica wouldn't be suitable ( the D300 with 24-70 2.8 then cost me well over 3000€) and leicas did have a serious dip in resale value in those days.

11-30-2022, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even faux-Leica has (or used to have) a certain caché. Some years ago my former employer went out to purchase a new camera for himself. he came back into the office flaunting his "Leica", complete with hard leather case ("leica" embossed on it). I don't remember the specifics of it, other than that it was digital, had a horrible EVF, and some very flaky software for transferring images out of it onto the office PCs. I began to smell a rat when tasked with doing something or other with some of his photos, and the Explorer details displayed something other than "Leica" in the "camera make" display. Long story short, it was in fact a Panasonic in Leica mufti. But people were impressed with the fake name on it; so impressed that somebody stole it when he left it unattended in an exhibit hall.
12-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Even faux-Leica has (or used to have) a certain caché. Some years ago my former employer went out to purchase a new camera for himself. he came back into the office flaunting his "Leica", complete with hard leather case ("leica" embossed on it). I don't remember the specifics of it, other than that it was digital, had a horrible EVF, and some very flaky software for transferring images out of it onto the office PCs. I began to smell a rat when tasked with doing something or other with some of his photos, and the Explorer details displayed something other than "Leica" in the "camera make" display. Long story short, it was in fact a Panasonic in Leica mufti. But people were impressed with the fake name on it; so impressed that somebody stole it when he left it unattended in an exhibit hall.
A number of the Panasonic cameras use Leica-branded lenses, and some of the Leica compacts were (are?) made by Panasonic...
So it's not surprising he had a camera with a Leica-branded lens that fit perfectly in a Leica case...

I had one of the Panasonic compacts, and it was actually a pretty decent camera, though fragile, and the lens did not live up to the Leica name on it...

My most recent compact is a Sony, and I liked the Panasonic a lot better...

-Eric
12-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
A number of the Panasonic cameras use Leica-branded lenses, and some of the Leica compacts were (are?) made by Panasonic...
So it's not surprising he had a camera with a Leica-branded lens that fit perfectly in a Leica case...

I had one of the Panasonic compacts, and it was actually a pretty decent camera, though fragile, and the lens did not live up to the Leica name on it...

My most recent compact is a Sony, and I liked the Panasonic a lot better...

-Eric
It was years ago, I've been retired from there for a couple of years, so I don't remember a lot of the details. I may have a mental block about it, to be honest, but I do recall that I wasn't impressed with it. It was indeed a compact camera, in a very bulky hard leather case. While he had it, boss basically used it as a "point and shoot", the Nikon D80 was too complicated for him (he gave it to me to use for company work). There was no Panasonic identification on it anywhere that I could see, although if I'd been aware, the "Lumix" on it should have tipped me off. After it was stolen he started using his phone for his "point and shoot", and didn't replace the camera. I used the Nikon for many years.