Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #1

A portable vice for clamping lens, or other solutions?

Hello,

I chewed up some mount screws because I'm not getting good enough grip on the lens. Looking for a way to clamp the next lens in place to the kitchen worktop or similar. I did try soaking in wd40, heating the screws with a soldering iron etc. I am hoping to get more purchase with my JIS screwdrivers using an adjustable spanner. Most hobby vices I find (in UK) are not wide enough to hold a lens (I reckon I need jaw opening about 3"). Because the screws are round the edge of the mount, I find that pressing down with any force tips the lens.

I've been trawling through vice listings on amazon and ebay to find something with a jaw opening of more that 2 1/2".

Hopefully this is an okay place to put this thread.

Thanks

08-30-2022, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try a silicone rubber strap wrench. Similar to what's used on oil filters.
08-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can try looking for "drill press" type vices, which usually have a wider opening even on cheap ones. Something like this.

Another option would be to look for a 3 jaw chuck that opens wide enough, and with the right type of jaws (there are lots of different types, so be careful to get something that would work for what you need ), to grip a lens. That's really a much better way than a vice to hold something round like a lens body. I imagine you would want to find an old used one, for cost's sake. You'll need to make sure you get a chuck key with it to be able to use it. Finding a way to connect the chuck to the table may be tough, although it will be a heavy chunk of metal, so just the weight of the chuck itself might work for you. Also because of the weight, you would probably want to find one that you can pick up locally. It would look something like this (although that one has no key with it).
08-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try some acetone on a cotton bud on the screw heads? Maybe someone's used lock-tite on them.

08-31-2022, 01:45 AM   #5
Unregistered User

Here is a Stanley 100mm vice
Stanley 183065 MaxSteel Light-Duty Vice 100mm 4 -inch : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
08-31-2022, 02:04 AM   #6
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello amci, you might get more advice if your thread was in Troubleshooting and Beginner Help forum as it is a forum specifically for helping with problems.

I can move this thread there if you want.