Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2022, 09:16 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vintage 1950's era Camera with a History

So I've recently been purchasing a lot of Vintage 1950's era scale focus cameras and rangefinders on eBay and happen to stumble upon a very nice one in great condition. A Zeiss ICON Contina IIa with camera case. As I was looking more closely at the case, I noticed a Name inscribed with pen on the lower inside portion of the camera strap. It was clearly marked "Charles Hirshberg MD Nashville Tenn" So I thought why not google the name?

It turns out he was a prominent Pediatrician in the Nashville area. He passed away in 2020 at the age of 86. His life story listed on his obituary indicated that he joined the ROTC while in college and achieved the rank of LT. Commander before returning to Nashville to begin a career as a Pediatrician. Previous to his move he served the Native American Indian population in South Dakota and several other states.

So now I have history behind the well cared for camera that I purchased off of eBay and will conintue to take care of it so that hopefully the next generation can enjoy this mechanical marvel of the 1950's.

Last edited by Driline; 10-10-2022 at 02:07 PM.
09-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Vintage 1950's era Camera with a History
It would be interesting to know who used it and how many pictures (memories) it took, good buy.
09-03-2022, 02:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
It would be interesting to know who used it and how many pictures (memories) it took, good buy.
Fingers crossed!
09-03-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Gorgeous camera, Driline, and just the kind of thing a heartland doctor would have carried. My grandfather, a deep-south Methodist minister, carried a Kodak Retina Reflex, which I am sure took a substantial share of his income in the year he acquired it. I enjoyed reading the history that you were able to present regarding Dr. Hirshberg. It sounds like he was an exceptional man. Now many of his treasured possessions, the ones his heirs don't need or want, are getting sold at the estate sale and then distributed by antique stores and ebay sellers. It is fortunate that, in the meticulous manner of a good MD, he inscribed his name inside the strap, so that you could put it together with the camera. Who knows, maybe someday a grandchild or some other descendant will get interested in vintage cameras and see your post here.

09-03-2022, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just sent my Grandfather's Retina IIc off for an overhaul (I waited too long trying to get up the nerve to send it to New Zealand).

I would probably never spend that kind of money on a random Retina, but this one has all the stories with it...

I also have a couple of engraved cameras, but I've never looked the folks up. Maybe I should...

-Eric
09-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #6

Thoughtful not to scribe the camera. Must have appreciated how it looked.
09-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gorgeous looking camera in pristine condition!
Just curious: Have you considered reaching out to the family of the previous owner?

Thanks,
Ismael

09-30-2022, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Gorgeous looking camera in pristine condition!
Just curious: Have you considered reaching out to the family of the previous owner?

Thanks,
Ismael
I have not but that would be interesting....

Some photo's taken with this vintage masterpiece:

10-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continas are very interesting cameras, the choice of 45mm was conscious, as it gives you a bit extra DoF than 50 even with a Novar (triplet) lens.

I have a folding one (Ikonta 35), that belonged to my wife's grandfather and was passed unto me, I'm just the steward of the camera for one of my daughters
10-05-2022, 05:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Continas are very interesting cameras, the choice of 45mm was conscious, as it gives you a bit extra DoF than 50 even with a Novar (triplet) lens.

I have a folding one (Ikonta 35), that belonged to my wife's grandfather and was passed unto me, I'm just the steward of the camera for one of my daughters
Very cool camera. I see you also have a Vito II like me. Except I don't have the lens hood. I really like that camera.
10-05-2022, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Very cool camera. I see you also have a Vito II like me. Except I don't have the lens hood. I really like that camera.
I was lucky to find a Vito II in the original box, with a whole plethora of accessories, not only the hood, but filters, Kontur finder, and a rangefinder.
If you want a hood, I can send you a 3d printer file for it, and you can get it printed When I cleaned my Vito, the distance numbers paint had rubbed off, so I used high visibility neon-yellow instead

I see you have a Contessa LK, which for me is the best of the line (LKE has rangefinder) in terms of usability
The Contessamatic is nice but the whole shutter/diaphragm is bulky

Last edited by titrisol; 10-05-2022 at 07:17 AM.
10-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I was lucky to find a Vito II in the original box, with a whole plethora of accessories, not only the hood, but filters, Kontur finder, and a rangefinder.
If you want a hood, I can send you a 3d printer file for it, and you can get it printed When I cleaned my Vito, the distance numbers paint had rubbed off, so I used high visibility neon-yellow instead

I see you have a Contessa LK, which for me is the best of the line (LKE has rangefinder) in terms of usability
The Contessamatic is nice but the whole shutter/diaphragm is bulky
Oh thank you for the offer but I'm good. I'm currently out shooting my Zeiss Icon Contessa LK and hope to have photo's soon.