Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2022, 09:18 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very odd couple on a date

Hello,

Here is a very odd couple on a play date. Almost 50 years apart and they couldn't be any more different.

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye flash model from 1956 and a Pentax *ist film, the very last film SLR Pentax did, from around 2003.

The Brownie has a B/W 120 roll of Ilford FP4 Plus (ISO125) with a 620 take up spool.

The Pentax *ist has the very last roll of (expired) Kodak Gold 100 in my stash. For kicks I'm using the XS40 lens which is said to cover the full frame on 35mm.

These could probably be some of the last cameras I field test in 2022. It may take a few weeks to go thru both rolls, then send for development, scan, etc.

Thanks,
Ismael

11-12-2022, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'll be interested to see your results with the *ist.
Mine's still in the cupboard. I often feel I never fully made use of it, but I lost my darkroom facility at about the same time as processing materials became unavailable locally, so was more or less "forced" into digital … I've still got a film tank or two (somewhere) and my film scanner still works … maybe one day
11-12-2022, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wasn't thrilled with my Brownie Hawkeye's results (especially when I popped it open halfway through the roll while getting it out of the bag, but I can't blame it for operator error...)
I think the slow shutter was mostly to blame... it needs a lot of care to keep it steady, but I'm sure you know that

The DA40 does very well on full frame. I've used it with probably every camera I have that will take it except the *ist...
Make sure your hood doesn't vignette, though...

I'm looking forward to the results of the date... if you end up with a Pentax 110, we'll know what happened

-Eric
11-26-2022, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

Here is proof they were together

You can see more details on the Brownie Hawkeye results here:Kodak Brownie Hawkeye: Special Rescue Operation of a 1950's icon - PentaxForums.com

And more on the *ist results here: Pentax *ist: The LAST film SLR from Pentax - PentaxForums.com

Of course the negatives of the Brownie are huge (~60mm x 60mm) compared to the
24 x 36 of the 35mm film.
Two very different experiences a world apart. This is just for fun.

Thanks,
Ismael