Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2022, 07:35 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 2022 in review: 36 cameras, 13 rolls of film and a lot more!

Warning: Long post ahead

Hello,

They say time flies when you are having a good time. Well, I think 2022 did come and go rather quickly. That means it was good. We were able to finally do an EPIC family vacation after a 2 year delay due to the pandemic. That was the highlight of the year. Overall, a very busy life with family, work, Boy Scouts, hobbies, automotive work, etc.
My workbench was always busy thru the year. That's my escape from stress and one of my happy places. Like in the last few years, cameras dominated the workbench time, followed by scale models. One of my scale models made it to the cover of Model Cars Magazine this year. This year I also spent time restoring and enjoying stereoscopic gear like View Masters, Tru-Vue, accessories and a 19th century stereoscope among others.
The View-Master thread - PentaxForums.com

There were plenty of digital pictures taken this year. Not only related to the other hobbies like scale models and camera restoration documentation but also family stuff, travel, etc.
For the first time I did some commissioned work on other people's cameras. Unfortunately, I found I don't have the time required so I'm not doing that anymore. At least for the time been. I have no formal camera repair training, so it is rather slow and a lot of trial and error, plus the liability of potentially damaging something that is not mine. Maybe if I can retire someday....

Anyways. here is a recap of the cameras I worked on during 2022, in loosely chronological order, divided in 3 sections:
-Tested cameras with sample pics
-Cameras I worked on, but haven't tested yet
-OPC (Other People's Cameras)

Chapter 1: Cameras tested in 2022:

The honors of the first shots of 2022 went to:
1960 Brownie Starflex from the 127 Squadron

RERA Pan 100S film

More info here:Kodak Brownie Starflex: Cute little camera for display only? - PentaxForums.com

1928 Vest Pocket Kodak Model B (the oldest of the tested bunch)

RERA Pan 100S film

More info here:Project: Vest Pocket Kodak Model B c1928-1932 - PentaxForums.com

1937 Kodak Junior six-20 Series II (Produced my 2 personal favorite pictures of the year beating all others including the digital squadron)

Kodak Portra 160 (120 respooled to 620)
This picture is my favorite of this year!

followed by this one:

More info here:1937 Kodak Junior six-20 Series II (Resto+Research) - PentaxForums.com

Pony 135 Model A (the only one to run a second roll after a light leak fix)

Kodak Gold 200. A massive light leak ruined the whole roll.

After the light leak was found and fixed, a "revindication" roll of Kodak BW400CN was shot.

More info here:Kodak Pony 135: Interesting 35mm from 1950 - PentaxForums.com

Pony 135 Model B (the middle sibling fighting for attention)

Kodak BW400CN

More info here:Kodak Pony 135 Model B: 1953-1955 - PentaxForums.com

Pony 135 Model C (radioactive goodness)

This picture rounds the top 3 of the year
Kodak Ektar 100

More info here:Pony 135 Model C: 13 years restoration project? The ultimate Pony? - PentaxForums.com

1948 Argus A2B (funkiest and pretty much useless extinction meter)

Kodak BW400CN

More info here:1948 Argus A2B: Entry level 35mm popularization camera - PentaxForums.com

Kodak Tourist II (the one that had an exposed roll inside from the late 60's early 70's)

Kodak Portra 160 (120 respooled to 620)

*BONUS!* This camera came with an exposed roll estimated to have been shot about 50 years ago (late 60's early 70's)

More info here:Kodak Tourist II: The end of an era? - PentaxForums.com

1955 Kiev IIa (contender for favorite of the year)
My respectful tribute to Colton Allen. I bought this one from him a few months ago. Unfortunately, he just passed recently.

Kodak BW400CN

More info here:1955 Kiev IIa: Soviet or German rangefinder? - PentaxForums.com

1965 Petri V6 (most colorful and contender for best looking pimped camera)

Walgreens 200 film

More info here:Mild custom 1965 Petri V6: It's a camera, not a car - PentaxForums.com

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye (the biggest jump from trash to treasure of the year)

Ilford FP4

More info here:Kodak Brownie Hawkeye: Special Rescue Operation of a 1950's icon - PentaxForums.com

Pentax *ist film camera (the DSLR that shoots film)

Kodak Gold 100

More info here:Pentax *ist: The LAST film SLR from Pentax - PentaxForums.com

Special category for this year: DIGITAL rescue!
Pentax K200D (from possessed to crippled workhorse)

Also the majority of camera pictures in this thread were taken with this K200 and the M50f4 macro
More info here:My "new" crippled K200D - PentaxForums.com

Chapter 2: Cameras worked on in 2022 but not tested yet

Early 60's Imperial Mark XII 620

More info here:Imperial Mark XII: circa 1961-1965 - PentaxForums.com

1930 Ensign E29 (From UK)

More info here:1930 Ensign E29: A 129 film camera. Yes, 129; not a typo - PentaxForums.com

1952 Brownie 127 (From UK)

More info here:Brownie 127: 1952-1955 diplomat from the British Delegation - PentaxForums.com

1927 Kodak No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version

More info here:c1927 Kodak No. 2 Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B, UK version - PentaxForums.com

Kodak Pony II

More info here:Kodak Pony II: Strange 35mm camera from 1957-1962 - PentaxForums.com

Kodak Pony 828 (missing and broken internal parts, for display only)

More info here:Kodak Pony 828: The first Pony in 1949 - PentaxForums.com

Beseler Topcon Auto 100

More info here:Beseler Topcon Auto 100: Weird 35mm SLR - PentaxForums.com

Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL

More info here:1971 Mamiya/Sekor 500 DTL: Camera and lethal defense weapon - PentaxForums.com

Eastman Kodak No. 2A Folding Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B

More info here:Eastman Kodak No. 2A Folding Cartridge Hawk-Eye Model B: Quite a long name! - PentaxForums.com

Brownie Reflex Synchro 127

More info here:Brownie Reflex Synchro: 127 film Pseudo TLR from 1941-1952 - PentaxForums.com

Pentax ME Super

More info here:ME Super: Refreshing a classic from the 80's - PentaxForums.com

Yashica Electro 35 GSN

More info here:Yashica Electro 35 GSN - PentaxForums.com

Chapter 3: OPC (Other People's Cameras and stuff)

Minolta SR1 Clip On meter (resolder battery wire)

Pony 135 Model A (Full restoration)

Pony 135 Model C (Full restoration)

More info here:Servicing a pair of Ponies for a private collector - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K1000 SE (seals, unjammed, lubed shutter release mechanism and deep clean)

Pentax MX (seals and deep clean)

Pentax ME Super (seals, unjammed shutter release and deep clean)

Pentax Program Plus (seals and deep clean)

Pentax K1000 Hong Kong (Full restoration)

More info here:Camera rescue 911: Another K1000's frantic call for help! - PentaxForums.com

Olympus OM-1 (seals, shutter release lube, and deep clean)
Olympus OM-2S Program (seals and deep clean)
Minolta XD11 (Not working. Sadly, made it to "kind of work" but not reliably. Too far gone)
Konica Autoreflex T4 (seals and deep clean)

Geez! No wonder I'm always complaining of not having time for anything!
That's a whopping 36 cameras, 13 rolls shot and not counting some lenses and accessories. Plus family, Boy Scouts, work, all the stereoscopic stuff, scale models and continuing working on a never ending car restoration.
Where is my coffee i.v. ?

Sorry for the long post. What do you think? Your comments are always appreciated.
Wishing everybody a Merry Christmas season, Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a wonderful and happy 2023 full of health!

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 12-26-2022 at 08:56 AM.
12-26-2022, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Geez! No wonder I'm always complaining of not having time for anything!
Ismael,

You certainly had a busy year!

You also found time to make a special presentation to my camera club -- the Camera Club of Ottawa. We really enjoyed your talk, thanks!

Best wishes for 2023.

- Craig
12-26-2022, 09:11 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What an amazing series of wonderful images from wonderful old cameras!

However, your series is in complete violation of the rules of the Society for Camera Advancement & Marketing (SCAM) that requires that only the latest and most expensive cameras are allowed to post good pictures online. If people discovered they could take great pictures with old, used, consumer-level cameras, they'd stop buying $$$$ new camera bodies and $$$$ new camera lenses. SCAM's massive legal team (paid by the profits from over-priced new cameras) will likely send you a Cease & Desist letter.

Fortunately, I doubt you will listen to SCAM's shrieks of horror and anger.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (filled with more camera resurrections and new images taken with old equipment)

Last edited by photoptimist; 12-26-2022 at 10:37 AM.
12-26-2022, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Thank you Ismael. I have enjoyed reading your reviews this year and am looking forward to more.

12-26-2022, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ismael,

A stunning collection of work for the year. I really appreciate the added background information you provided from your research. It really added to each restoration.

I have to say that the Petrie is my favorite of the lot. Even though the brand did not survive, I feel that the elegance in design put it above its peers.....that and I love the blue. 😃
12-26-2022, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Wow. You’ve had a very busy year. Thinking about how much you accomplished makes me tired. As always your work is fantastic, made even more impressive by the great images your repaired cameras produce.
12-27-2022, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Quit impressive. In 2021 I had planned on shooting a roll in my old cameras, onw camera per month. However in late 2021 had a heart attack and openheart surgery so spent muchbif my free time in 2022 walking working my way up from barely doing one block to doing over 13km non stop.

Thw OP has inspired me to actually so that oroject in 2023. I also have a vest pocket (mine from 1927), a Hawkeye, a tourist 120 and one otner. This year there was a Kodak stereo camera at Value Village we bought and will try it out as the first camera next year.

Forgot to mention that this year I also processed 66 rolls of 120 from a 2021 trip and shot about 4000 images on my K5iis as we went to Antartica. I will use this sub forum in 2023_to post my project and use this thread as the needed motivation and impuness to actualky do it. Thanks

12-28-2022, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW. just WOW, I didn't realize there were that many, I probably missed a few as the came out. If I didn't know better from reading your project stories and the step by step photos on some, I would swear we were looking at old advertising images from the days these cameras were the latest models. They look that good, and your ability with product type photos is pretty well known with your readers, I'm not surprised you got a magazine cover. How did you have time for that well needed vacation?

BTW, that Petri IS a beauty
12-28-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is so refreshing to see constructive endeavours in a world too involved in the opposite. I hope you keep enjoying your productive hobby, you are good at it.
12-28-2022, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep at it, Ismael! You have a gift. - Jack
12-29-2022, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have been busy in 2022. Continue the good work. Your efforts are amazing. Have a great 2023.
Mike
01-08-2023, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Great stuff Ismael. May 2023 be as productive!
01-10-2023, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic recap Ismael. Here's wishing you all the best for 2023 and many more camera rescues!