Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2023, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which Rangefinder or scale focus Camera do you have the most fun with?

Out of my small 16 piece collection of working Rangefinder and Scale Focus cameras I would have to say "for now" the most fun camera for me is a toss up between my 1960 Kiev 4 rangefinder camera and my 1954 Zeiss Icon Contina IIa.
What has been your favorite so far?

1960 Soviet Kiev 4 (Purchased right before the war broke out in Ukraine) $90

1954 Zeiss Icon Contina IIa $45

02-14-2023, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really really wanted to love the Kiev, but I never clicked with it.
I have been rotating cameras, from RF and VF cameras the Ambi Silette,

Jsolette,

and Voigtlander Vito

are the ones I have been enjoying most lately.
02-14-2023, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I really really wanted to love the Kiev, but I never clicked with it.
I have been rotating cameras, from RF and VF cameras the Ambi Silette,

Jsolette,

and Voigtlander Vito

are the ones I have been enjoying most lately.
Yea the Voigtlander Vito II is definitely a winner. I forgot about that one....

02-14-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a Jupiter 3 for that camera!
If you find one before 1956 even better

02-14-2023, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a (made in Germany) Rollei 35 I pulled out of a camera store junk bin and paid $25 for. It had a stripped plastic winding gear (plastic on brass). I first rebuilt to gear using epoxy and a dremel tool. Then I contacted OceanSide camera and they told me a brass replacement gear was issued. I don't think I even paid $5 for it. I still have and shoot the Rollei.

02-14-2023, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
and Voigtlander Vito
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Yea the Voigtlander Vito II is definitely a winner.
Funny how the two of you shot almost exactly the same view of the Vito!
02-14-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

"Which Rangefinder or scale focus Camera do you have the most fun with?"
The question would have to be in the past tense for me … I've used nothing but slr's or DSLRs for the last 15 years or more, but, historically speaking, my Zorki 6 was my all-time favourite r/f, closely followed by my Retina IIIS, with it's coupled exposure system and auto-bright-line viewfinder, not forgetting my Retina IIIC, which could "disappear" into an inside pocket once folded but still "did the business" with it's f/2 Xenon
For scale-focus … 120 film folders … a couple of Zeiss Nettars over the years and a Kodak 66 Model III, all beautifully compact
For candid "street" work, Olympus half-frames and an XA1 … fixed focus rather than scale focus, but again, really compact
One camera I do own but have yet to try is an inherited Rollei B35 … it's tiny, with a scale-focus collapsible f/3.5 40mm Triotar … could well find a place in the scheme of things

Last edited by kypfer; 02-14-2023 at 03:45 PM.
02-14-2023, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

would hafta be yashica lynx-5000....reckon because of the feature set higher speeds, faster glass n built in light meter......

a bolsey B2 was fun but the winding mechanism is kinda a pain.......also enjoyed my grandfathers argus C3 aka the brick.....both lenses can provide that neat swirly bokeh

do have a retina iiic n ricoh 500 but haven't run a roll yet

did cheat with distance with a retina ia.....whatever the 50 had on the K-50 translated it including exposure...worked out great.....super cool camera

Last edited by Aaron28; 02-15-2023 at 05:19 PM.
02-14-2023, 09:58 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My using Rangefinders have been the Konica Auto S2, Minolta Hi-matic 9 and Olympus 35SP. Lately I acquired these two wee ones; Olympus 35RC and Olympus XA. Both work perfectly, fit in my coat pocket and take great photos.
Attached Images

02-15-2023, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #10

My #1 favourite, medium format in the pocket, my goto camera for shooting out of town projects when traveling light is essential.

My #2 favourite, extremely detailed DOF scale, ultra quiet shutter, friend of anyone who loves street photography

My #3 favourite, possibly the smallest full-frame RF, 35mm f2.8 lens with a 6-element/5 groups reversed retro-focus design, only lacking manual exposure and high ISO settings for pushing films, my second favourite camera for street photography

Three more fun to use scale focus cameras that I love:

02-16-2023, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a few but....

These are the RF-VF camera's i'm currently shooting with.
The Leica and Contax are beautifull cameras but i really don't like them (to shoot with),the most fun and easy to use has to be the Konica Hexar it has all the conveniences of a modern AF AE camera and it is as quiet as a M Leica. Still the M4 is more than 50 years old and everything works just fine, i'm afraid the Contax and Konica (electronics) won't survive another 50 years.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800  Photo 
02-17-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
These are the RF-VF camera's i'm currently shooting with.
The Leica and Contax are beautifull cameras but i really don't like them (to shoot with),the most fun and easy to use has to be the Konica Hexar it has all the conveniences of a modern AF AE camera and it is as quiet as a M Leica. Still the M4 is more than 50 years old and everything works just fine, i'm afraid the Contax and Konica (electronics) won't survive another 50 years.
The Hexar looks pretty cool with that extra square block on top.
02-17-2023, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The Hexar looks pretty cool with that extra square block on top.
Errr... the Hexar is on the left, the extra square block on top of the Leica M4 is the Keks EM-01 add on light meter
02-17-2023, 08:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
Errr... the Hexar is on the left, the extra square block on top of the Leica M4 is the Keks EM-01 add on light meter
That's no Leica. Theres no little Red Dot!
02-18-2023, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

The only scale focus camera I used in recent years was the Voigtländer Bessa I, but I never really warmed up to it. I guess I’m a real reflex type, or at least I need a ground glass (with the large formats).