Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2023, 01:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon IVsb....What should I do?

A buddy of mine just laid this 1952 Canon IVsb serial# 72581 camera and 135mm Canon Serenar F4 lens on me for nothing. The lens is in perfect condition. The camera's winding knob is "stuck" and does not move. My guess is the mechanicals are a little "gunked" up on this camera. We have a local camera store "United Camera" in Rock Island Illinois with Eric as the lead technician who I could have take a look. I'm guessing $150 for a CLA? Is it worth it or should I take a chance and buy another IVsb on eBay and hope everything works on it.

A photo of our victim.....

---------- Post added 02-18-23 at 02:40 PM ----------

The rangefinder dot is still there. Not perfect but I can see it clearly enough for focusing.

02-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
A buddy of mine just laid this 1952 Canon IVsb serial# 72581 camera and 135mm Canon Serenar F4 lens on me for nothing. The lens is in perfect condition. The camera's winding knob is "stuck" and does not move. My guess is the mechanicals are a little "gunked" up on this camera. We have a local camera store "United Camera" in Rock Island Illinois with Eric as the lead technician who I could have take a look. I'm guessing $150 for a CLA? Is it worth it or should I take a chance and buy another IVsb on eBay and hope everything works on it.

The rangefinder dot is still there. Not perfect but I can see it clearly enough for focusing.
Even if you spend $300 on repairs, you will know what you have and what works. An ebay purchase in good, usable condition is based on the seller’s description and no guarantee that you will end up with less money invested to have a good working sample.
02-18-2023, 04:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say definitely get it working if at all affordable. Its has a Leica M39 mount so there are tons of great lenses you could put on it. Also Leica clones have good value, especially the well made ones those from Canon.

02-18-2023, 05:04 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I'd say definitely get it working if at all affordable. Its has a Leica M39 mount so there are tons of great lenses you could put on it. Also Leica clones have good value, especially the well made ones those from Canon.
I think that's what I'll do. I'm dropping it off next week. I can't stand a camera that looks this nice and is not working properly. I run film through all of my vintage cameras. I do have some broken units but those don't see the light of day. Only the working models get a glass row seat in my display cabinet

02-19-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel if you want a working model fixing this one is a no brained, it looks great.
02-19-2023, 06:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Going off topic down the cliff here, but is that a c.1911 Westinghouse Tank Fan?

Thanks,
Ismael
02-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF you got it for free, getting it repaired even for $3-400 is a bargain
Those cameras have a great reputation
Canon II/III/IV - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia says:
Unlike many Leica copies, quality control and finish are fully up to Leitz standards.

Where the Canon cameras surpass the Leica is the finder. Viewfinder and rangefinder are integrated, and a three-way switch allows a view for 50mm, 100mm, and critical rangefinder use.

You can improve the RF dot by using a sharpie and making a dot in the front main window; thus increasing the contrast
It is not perfect but it does the trick

02-19-2023, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Going off topic down the cliff here, but is that a c.1911 Westinghouse Tank Fan?

Thanks,
Ismael
It sure is. I bought it broken for $25. Fixed it up and now it runs like new.
02-22-2023, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I got the estimate back from United Camera Repair in Rock Island Illinois. Only $137 dollars. And it turns out the camera is a Canon IIIa.....not the IVsb as first thought.
02-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck. I have a later Canon P LTM body. It's a wonderful camera.

Chris
02-24-2023, 06:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I got the estimate back from United Camera Repair in Rock Island Illinois. Only $137 dollars. And it turns out the camera is a Canon IIIa.....not the IVsb as first thought.
DO IT!!!
that is a very fair price for such a gorgeous camera
02-24-2023, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
DO IT!!!
that is a very fair price for such a gorgeous camera
Done. Just waiting for the call to pick it up. In the mean time I purchased a Canon period lens from KEH. It's the 50mm F1.8 chrome lens from that time period.