Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2023, 08:02 PM   #1

MX with a stuck mirror

I'm going through all my cameras, sorting through what I inherited from my Dad a couple of years back as well, and doing function checks on things I find that my trusty old MX has gotten its mirror stuck in the up position! The mirror does move, I can put it down with no resistance but then it springs back up when I let it go. Shutter sounds like it's working about right (although I'll test speeds), and the meter is alive when I put in batteries, but without a "reflex" mirror it's going to be hard to shoot any film...

So, do I send it off for a CLA and repairs (if so, to whom? I'm in the US, eastern side) or look around for a replacement? Or is this maybe something I can repair myself - just a spring to replace, etc. maybe...

Short time lurker, first time poster.

03-01-2023, 08:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First, don’t try forcing the mirror to move.

Bumping the bottom of the camera on the palm of your hand a few times can sometimes get the mechanism unstuck if it’s just dirt/grease, then working the winder and shutter a few times can reveal if it’s definitely faulty or not.

For repairs in the US it seems other users of the forum had luck with Eric from https://pentaxs.com/

The MX is a worthy camera to repair if it’s a simple fix.
03-02-2023, 01:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be that the curtain is not quite completing its travel. Open the back. If you can see the left metal curtain edge you could give it the softest of nudges to the left. This may free it up. If it does, then its a lube issue. Once free you could try just working it
03-02-2023, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the camera is cosmetically nice (no dents, no rust, black paint trim on back is mostly there and bottom plate is clean) then I would definitely get it CLA'd. The MX is a great camera and worth the investment. Send Eric Hendrickson a note at pentaxrepairs@aol.com.

03-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
If the camera is cosmetically nice (no dents, no rust, black paint trim on back is mostly there and bottom plate is clean) then I would definitely get it CLA'd. The MX is a great camera and worth the investment. Send Eric Hendrickson a note at pentaxrepairs@aol.com.
It's got some wear, including a (cosmetic) small dent on top of the pentaprism, but it *was* the first camera I bought myself, so I'm probably going to get it cleaned up and tuned. Lots of memories attached to that machine. 8-)
03-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, I'm getting somewhere - the depth-of-field preview lever is sticking, and that is making the mirror lock up. Troubleshooting tips for that? Maybe alittle bit of compressed air, I definitely don't want to be spraying WD-40 in there or something like that...
03-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

DO NOT use wd-40 !!

a small amount of rosonol (lighter fluid) will likely help

03-02-2023, 05:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Lighter fluid? Interesting. I might try that. Might just wait and send it out for a CLA. Let's see if the meter works. Also my shutter speed tester (Photoplug) should be here tomorrow, so I can see how much work *that* is likely to need.
03-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madsox Quote
Lighter fluid? Interesting
yes have used it on many camera body......it magically gets things moving again...evaporates quite well.....usually finish off with a tiny amount of sewing machine oil from a syringe
03-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
yes have used it on many camera body......it magically gets things moving again...evaporates quite well.....usually finish off with a tiny amount of sewing machine oil from a syringe

Remove the bottom plate, clean all the gears there with lighter fluid/rubbing alcohol, dry well with compressed air, small drop of oil at each touchpoint in the gearing?
03-03-2023, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

purdy much although i use a rocket blower.........

this has provided the basic motions i generally go through

How to Fix a Ceased/"stuck" Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic : 8 Steps - Instructables

this is the thread in which i discovered prior link.......the ES and another ES n several other bodies are performing well for me thus far

pentax ES sticky mirror when lens is set to auto - PentaxForums.com

this is another thread dealing with a MX.....sorry for not referencing these earlier!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-film-slrs-compact-film-cameras/451876-...ng-mirror.html

Last edited by Aaron28; 03-03-2023 at 06:16 PM.
03-03-2023, 06:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Excellent! Many thanks for the links, I don't know why I didn't find that earlier thread searching. Must have had a filter on the search, because this is exactly the same topic.

Time to clean and lube...
03-03-2023, 07:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Excellent! Many thanks for the links, I don't know why I didn't find that earlier thread searching. Must have had a filter on the search, because this is exactly the same topic.

Time to clean and lube...
you bet!

good deal!
03-03-2023, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'm getting somewhere - the depth-of-field preview lever is sticking, and that is making the mirror lock up. Troubleshooting tips for that? Maybe alittle bit of compressed air, I definitely don't want to be spraying WD-40 in there or something like that...
No WD-40, IT will cause the shutters to dis attach themselves. There is 2 shutter adjustments at the bottom of the camera, the one closest to the mount is the closing shutter adjustment. Maybe if you tighten it a 1/4 of a turn it will solve your problem . Do It @ your own risk. no more than half a turn.
03-04-2023, 07:36 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
No WD-40, IT will cause the shutters to dis attach themselves. There is 2 shutter adjustments at the bottom of the camera, the one closest to the mount is the closing shutter adjustment. Maybe if you tighten it a 1/4 of a turn it will solve your problem . Do It @ your own risk. no more than half a turn.
Oh, I've worked with enough small mechanical parts and electronics to know how bad WD-40 is for "lubrication" - that will gum things up in no time! Some things it dissolves, nah. It's good for, well, water dispersing but inside a camera? No no no no nope.

I hope just cleaning things with mild solvent (rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid) and then a few very small drops of light machine oil (sewing machine was recommended, that's probably good) will do the trick. If it seems things need more actual adjustment than that, I'll probably send 'er off for a professional CLA. Or buy a non-working body to experiment and learn on.