Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2023, 11:28 PM   #1
Banned

pentax auto bellows A lens choice

the manual if read correctly tells me not to use a 50/mm f1.7 or f1.4 reveresed, but in some spots it also tells me NOT to use these lenses at ALL with the bellows...

so in theory what lens do i want to get

03-04-2023, 02:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BandeauRouge Quote
the manual if read correctly …
For which camera?
03-04-2023, 06:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And which model of Pentax bellows?
To get useful answers, you need to be more specific in the information you provide.
03-04-2023, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Why not?
Those bellows are just air gaps to increase magnification.

I don;t have the A series, but my guess is that all the markings and scales are for the 50mm used in "forward" position,
Objects will have to be almost touching the lens; and focusing might be painful but I don;t see why not

03-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are referring to the Auto Bellows-A manual, it never says you should not use the 50mm f/1.7. Rather, it has detailed recommendations on how to use it. It does however say that the f/1.2 and f/1.4 lenses are not so good due to their field curvature at large magnifications. There are also recommendations on other suitable lenses.
03-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #6

My copy of the manual just says the f1.4 and f1.2 are unsharp for flat subjects and shouldn't be used for flat subjects at 1× or highter.

The f1.7 is shown on the reversed lens magnification tables.
03-04-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn’t the older bellows have specific 100mm bellows lenses without focus rings, like these
Bellows-Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated Bellows Takumar 100mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Bellows-Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated Bellows Takumar 100mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

03-05-2023, 06:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This bellows lenses were a convenience, but any lens can be used. Taking into account that there are advantages and disadvantages on using certain lenses (curved field, too dark, etc)

I have a few of those "bellows" lenses from the Polaroid copy cameras (Tominon M40mount) that I got when those cameras were replaced by digital in the early 00s.
But I dont see much difference in use when compared to a normal lens, as they are usually set to infinity anyway. I guess I could also use lenses from the old folding cameras that were unit focusing (same principle).

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Didn’t the older bellows have specific 100mm bellows lenses without focus rings, like these

Last edited by titrisol; 03-06-2023 at 11:34 AM.
03-05-2023, 08:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
[url=https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Bellows-Takumar-Super-Multi-Coated-Bellows-TAKUMAR-100mm-F4.html]Bellows-Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated Bellows Takumar 100mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The bellows lenses were 100mm macro lenses with no focusing helicoid, in effect, a 100mm enlarging lens.
03-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #10

There's a 100mm bellows lens in K-mount as well.

I suggest you look at Murray O'Neill excellent eBook on Pentax Macro:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/pentax-macro-accessory-ebook.html
03-06-2023, 08:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's a 100mm bellows lens in K-mount as well.

I suggest you look at Murray O'Neill excellent eBook on Pentax Macro:

The Pentax Macro eBook - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
I have both the M42 and K mount bellows lenses. I suspect the optical formula is the same for both, though I could be wrong. I haven't had the opportunity to use the K mount lens as I picked it up when I was in buying a new camera, which is taking up my time at the moment.
I think I lucked out and got it from a guy who couldn't mount the bellows it was attached to to a DSLR because of a redundant aperture control lever on the back of the adapter that would have fouled on the prism extension on a DSLR unless a #2 extension tube was used.
I paid about 1/5 of the going rate for it, and got a free cheap bellows in the bargain.
03-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #12

I got my K-mount version off eBay for $49 free shipping. Near mint condition. As soon as I saw the listing I bought it.