Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #1

K1000 old or newer model?

Hello! This may be a very silly question but my OCD won’t let me rest until I’m assured. As you can see I have a Pentax with the Asahi name and logo on it and it appears to be fully metal as to expect from a K1000. However I know there’s many different versions of these cameras including the Chinese plastic ones which I’ve managed to avoid…I hope. Even though all signs point to it being a Hong Kong made k1000 there’s still a level
of doubt in my mind that it’s metal. Of course it looks and feels metal but I’ve never handled a Chinese model and I know chrome finished plastic can be deceiving. I’m also aware of the serial number forum but I wanted to know what you guys think. I just wanna make sure I have one of the older, metal K1000’s. Thanks!

Attached Images

03-22-2023, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

From your pictures you have a metal body based on these:
-The plastic top has screws on the front sides of the prism
-The plastic cover does not have 2 screws on the top left around the rewind knob area
-The rewind knob base is a separate black plastic part on yours. It is molded-in in the plastic top cover.
-Your battery cover is screw type. The plastic one is bayonet and the bottom cover is different.
-The scratches in your bottom plate are consistent with metal.
-The film release button at the bottom is metal on yours, but plastic and smaller in the plastic version
-Your serial number is consistent with a Hong Kong unit.

Here are some pictures of a Chinese plastic model:
By the way, The last Hong Kong units were also plastic. The change happened before moving production to China.

The main issue with the plastic top units is the prism desilvering. People think it is fungus but it is actually the prism looses the silver. The only fix is to replace the prism.
Here is a very bad example:

Bottom line? Take it out, put some miles on it and enjoy!

Thanks,
Ismael