Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2023, 06:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Small flash for Retina lllc and lla

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Dear Board,

I have a restored Retina lllc coming to me soon.

I have older manual flashes that I can use on it, but they are big monsters like Vivitar 283's and 285's. They are just a bit large for a small rangefinder in my opinion.

I know that Vivitar, Sunpak and others made smaller flashes but I am not very familiar with any of the models.

Ideally, I'd like a flash for occasional use that runs on 2 AA batteries. I know that Godox has a small flash called the Junior that is available new. I am interested in hearing if anyone has used it? I am also open to alternative suggestions with the main requirements being small size and pc sync cord capability for use in a cold shoe mount.

Any suggestions?

Regards.

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

03-24-2023, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it need a bounce head? I recall a Nissin I used on my Yashica and Nikon bodies that was small. Also a Nikon. I’ll look.

---------- Post added 03-24-23 at 09:50 AM ----------

Some possible options:
Vintage Prinz Electronic Flash 330-20 Uses 2X AA Batteries | eBay

Used HELIX 100 Thyristor 255 Shoe Mount Flash gun for camera SLR Vintage 18208047079 | eBay

Vivitar Electronic Flash 200 for Vintage 35mm Film Camera Hot Shoe Mount | eBay

Vintage Minolta ELECTROFLASH CP | eBay

Vintage Photography Vivitar 2600 Shoe Mount Flash Auto Electronic Camera | eBay

Vintage Vivitar Auto 252 Electronic Camera Flash Unit With Case | eBay

Vintage Vivitar Auto SMS 20 Flash For Film or Digital Cameras TESTED & WORKING | eBay

Older Nikon Speedlights SB-1 to SB-21A/B

The Nikon sb-9 is great but would require an sc-10 sync cord to make it work (cold shoe to pc cord) that combo is much more expensive than the others I listed. Some of the others may use 4aa but are still small. I haven’t used most of them but they are the right vintage and remind me of units I used in the past.

Modern flashes might be adaptable using a cord like the sc-10 but generic. Something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1650186-REG/vello_hsa_pcu35_universal...981&
03-24-2023, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I don't recall ever using a flash with any of my Retinas, but if I did it would have been my Nissin 360TW simply because that's the flashgun I had (and still have, though it's not been used for many years )
Mostly I relied on the wide aperture Schneider lens and/or a can of HP5 when necessary
Just bear in mind that many (most?) early or contemporary flashguns were fixed output and relied on meticulous operator attention to aperture settings to get the correct exposure.
I'd recommend finding a gun with a modicum of "auto" via a built-in sensor to make life a lot easier.
03-24-2023, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a tiny Vivitar thyristor flash with my Retina IIc.
It works really well, and it replaced a small Honeywell flash that was superb until it stopped working...
I think any of the wide range of tiny flashes with cords would work fine, and I would suggest those over a PC cord adapter.

I will note that one risk of old units (other than failure) is that they often have very high trigger voltages, so if you decide to use the flash on a modern camera, you'll need to watch for that.

I suspect the GoDox does not have that problem, and I'll probably buy one when I kill the Vivitar. But what color?

-Eric

03-24-2023, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I have a small Achiever 115 that works fine, but I'm tempeted by the Godox vintage look.
Either silver or black
03-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a Sunpak Auto 140. I've got one and I like it because it has a built-in PC cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404005117019?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

03-24-2023, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Godox Lux senior with integrated Li battery, this is semi automatic flash (via sensor in flash, not pTTL) or manual . Recently acquired, looks OK after first, basic testing. It is the slightly bigger (but retro-fancier) brother of the junior you mention, it is still small in carrying/transport, but bigger in use due to folded-out reflector.
check here for image
Works on any camera with single contact in hot shoe (or with cable, not tested).
Two minor remarks:
- The manual is basic, but the device is easy to use if you ever worked with older flashes. You need to understand guide number and aperture settings etc... to understand the dial on flash. The manual is not for beginners, new to such a flash.
- Charging with USB-c but not on fast, high power one. No idea why, my phone charges on both, the godox only on slower one. But still quick enough...

I have also an older AAA battery powered small 850 pTTL flash of godox, works also fine on my pentax (needs 5 pins in hotshoe).

I am an occasional flash shooter, wanted smaller simple, cheap flash, and Godox works for me.... I have now one for my vintage and one for my digital pTTL camera.

Last edited by mlag; 03-24-2023 at 03:09 PM.
03-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas!

Dear Board,

Thanks for all the ideas!

I have an older Soligor MK-3 that I found in a cabinet that I can use to get started but if I find I need flash more often I'm sure I'll be able to find something that meets my needs. I like the older Vivitars like the 251 and 252 but a lot of the Ebay sellers never show the battery compartment and some that do show battery compartments that junk.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA
03-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, maybe you should get a bulb flash unit like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195669812528?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

The Kodak Super M40 flash unit and get some Sylvania M2 bulbs.

03-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's just a little too retro for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Actually, maybe you should get a bulb flash unit like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195669812528?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

The Kodak Super M40 flash unit and get some Sylvania M2 bulbs.
Dear tonyzoc,

The camera has a cold flash shoe. Using a handle flash requires the specially made bracket that allows you to mount a handle flash and still be able to use the bottom mounted film advance lever. I'm guessing that would be pretty hard to find?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA
03-26-2023, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the Retinas I've had have the offset tripod socket that sticks out from the bottom of the camera, making it hard for a conventional bracket to mount and keep from twisting.

Most of mine have a small plastic dimple that I think it to counteract this with the official bracket, but I don't think I've ever seen the bracket in person.

That said, the cold shoe works a treat most of the time...

-Eric
03-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great resource for retina cameras (and exaktas too) in Captain Jack's site.

http://exaktaphile.net/captjack/Retina/Retina%20Accessories.htm

Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago, but luckily the web site is still staying up.

This looks just like the flash and bracket set on Captain Jacks Retina page...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265794072610?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by tonyzoc; 03-26-2023 at 10:49 AM.
03-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like there isn't a way to get that Kodak bracket to be friendly with a more modern flash... it only wants a Kodak bulb unit.
That's too bad.
I like how it has the anti-twist, though...

That stereo adapter on the same pages. Awesome. With the little viewfinder mask... wow... and I would love a set of the closeup arms and lenses...

-Eric