Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2023, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Restoring a Thayer & Chandler vintage airbrush

Hello,

The airbrush is a staple in the art world and has been around for a long time. The earliest patents date back to 1876, awarded to Francis Stanley. What was the first use? He used it to retouch photographs! He was a photographer and painter himself. Retouching photographs has been a big part of the airbrush history.

I recently acquired this Thayer & Chandler Model A airbrush from eBay. It was very cheap (I am) as it is missing the cup and the description was a bit vague. So it was a bit of a gamble. I have been restoring vintage cameras and other equipment for years but this is my first "vintage" airbrush. I don't consider the previous one I restored "vintage" as it is from the 1990's.
Thayer & Chandler produced the Model A for decades. It's design origins date back to the late 19th century. From what I understand, serial numbers are not very useful in dating them. From the features it seems this airbrush was made between the early 1950's and the mid 1960's.

As with my other restorations, I photograph everything as received, some during the process and the final "after" pictures.

BEFORE: (As received)
The case seems to be in good shape. Only dirty. Some initials written at the bottom.

The airbrush looks complete but a bit dull. As mentioned, no cup or any other accessory included.

Handle threads are a little worn out but still work. Overall, signs of use. Some small corrosion spots but overall, look complete and straight.

Some parts like the tube shank put a fight to come out.

Nothing looks broken. Just dull. Many scratches.

DURING:
Can you tell the difference in the needle tube? I've always been a sucker for shiny brass.

Seems that what I thought was corrosion was just actually old dried paint.

The brassing on the trigger suggests some mileage.

Did not mess with the air valve. Did not cooperate to come out so I left it alone. For now.

Each and every part received personal care while the others patiently waited. The case was no exception.

AFTER: (The end result)
Eventually everything went back together.

Coming up next, once I get the correct cup (in transit) I'll test it.
Hope you approve. I may be biased (and I am) but this is one gorgeous looking airbrush.

Thanks,
Ismael

04-15-2023, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, excellent restoration, I'm looking forward to the test thread!
04-15-2023, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spectacular job!
04-15-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember, you need to test it on a model. 😃