Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2023, 12:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

The best affordable vintage RF

While searching for the best affordable film RF I learned something about the system design, namely the effective base length, RF construction and leaf shutter top speed. I find that pro grade RF such as the Leica has a long base length that the viewfinder is far away from the lens, beside to allow more precise focusing it also reduce blocking of view due to the lens, I don't see that much on vintage RF such as the very best Konica IIIA, the Minolta V2, Hi Matic, Petri 35....etc., but on the Yashica electro 35.

Similar to SLR, on low end RF the rangefinder is made of glass and mirror, on high end ones such as the Konica IIIA it's made of solid glass, so will not have mirror oxidation problem over time and produce clearer brighter image. On the other hand not all RF has automatic parallax correction built in that the viewfinder will shift when focusing, the rest simply provide a 2nd frameline for close distance. Regarding the shutter speed, most of the vintage RF can go up to 1/500sec that suited most needs, except the Minolta V2/V3 can go up to 1/3000sec but seems not necessary.

I am looking for a reliable and affordable vintage RF I guess I will go for the Konica IIIA, it has everything I want except a long base length, since it's a fixed lens camera I don't need high precision focusing. I wouldn't go for the Yashica mainly because it's electronic, I don't trust electronic camera that old, once it failed it will be total lost, that's why I don't consider the Pentax K2 and LX, it must be a fully mechanical one, so my choice is very limited.

Last edited by Adam; 05-10-2023 at 01:08 AM.
05-10-2023, 01:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My "best" rangefinders are my Retina IIIS and my Zorki 6 … never did try any of the Japanese offerings.
The folding Retinas are beautifully compact, but mostly fixed lens … those with the interchangeable front group can become quite bulky with the 80mm unit fitted and the rangefinder doesn't then couple directly.
No slow speeds on the Zorki 6, but it has a nice long-base rangefinder, so easy to use with the Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 and the 135mm Jupiter-11.
Both were accumulated, each with a set of lenses, during that "lull" in the photographic market about 20-30 years ago when anything that wasn't autofocus bayonet mount was being virtually given away
The Zorki 4k is very competent, but slightly "clunky" to my eyes.
The FEDs seem to be very nice, but I never came across one locally until recently in a charity shop. I decided I didn't need it, but someone got a bargain!
Brief research shows the Konica IIIA to have an f/1.8 lens fitted. Experience with the f/2 lenses, both on my Zorki and my Retinas, suggest that you need all the rangefinder base length you can get with a lens like this wide open at short distances
Good luck
05-10-2023, 01:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My "best" rangefinders are my Retina IIIS and my Zorki 6 … never did try any of the Japanese offerings.
The folding Retinas are beautifully compact, but mostly fixed lens … those with the interchangeable front group can become quite bulky with the 80mm unit fitted and the rangefinder doesn't then couple directly.
No slow speeds on the Zorki 6, but it has a nice long-base rangefinder, so easy to use with the Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 and the 135mm Jupiter-11.
Both were accumulated, each with a set of lenses, during that "lull" in the photographic market about 20-30 years ago when anything that wasn't autofocus bayonet mount was being virtually given away
The Zorki 4k is very competent, but slightly "clunky" to my eyes.
The FEDs seem to be very nice, but I never came across one locally until recently in a charity shop. I decided I didn't need it, but someone got a bargain!
Brief research shows the Konica IIIA to have an f/1.8 lens fitted. Experience with the f/2 lenses, both on my Zorki and my Retinas, suggest that you need all the rangefinder base length you can get with a lens like this wide open at short distances
Good luck
My first RF was the Zorik 4 sent directly from my Russian friend in Moscow CLA-ed, it looks nice but the curtain fell apart soon after some 'dry run' without film loaded. Then a Kiev 5, same story, then the Fed 2 which I like most, got two both got light leak on the curtain and fogged up my photos. Also got a Lenigend auto winder, actually two, the first one the ceramic film pressure plate broken during shipping so bought another, with sticky curtain. I also had a set of Keiv 4 with few lenses, it was too complicated and hard to repair, and the focusing knob hurted my finger so much, gave it up and sent to "The Bay", I had enough with Soviet RF, excepted I still want to try the leftover radioactive Industar came with the Fed.

Last edited by lotech; 05-10-2023 at 02:08 AM.
05-10-2023, 06:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on what you call affordable, and per your list
The 1950s german cameras are very sturdy Retinas, Voigtlanders, Agfa Karats, Zeiss Ikons etc with fixed lenses are really good and relatively easy to maintain and

The interchangeables came late with the DKL shutter and I have the AGFA Ambi-silette which I love.

Japanese cameras were also good, and the Konica you mention must be really good (I played with the Hexar in the late 90s and it was amazing)

Don't discount the Soviets... the KIEV cameras are basically pre-war Contax with the longest RF base and very good optics (Jupiter 3 is mind blowing) ; while Zorkis and FEDs are Leica-thread mount style cameras, very affordable and optics are also very good and easy to upgrade to a more modern/pro camera
It all depends on the ergonomics and how they have treated/maintained.

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
While searching for the best affordable film RF I learned something about the system design, namely the effective base length, RF construction and leaf shutter top speed. I find that pro grade RF such as the Leica has a long base length that the viewfinder is far away from the lens, beside to allow more precise focusing it also reduce blocking of view due to the lens, I don't see that much on vintage RF such as the very best Konica IIIA, the Minolta V2, Hi Matic, Petri 35....etc., but on the Yashica electro 35.

Similar to SLR, on low end RF the rangefinder is made of glass and mirror, on high end ones such as the Konica IIIA it's made of solid glass, so will not have mirror oxidation problem over time and produce clearer brighter image. On the other hand not all RF has automatic parallax correction built in that the viewfinder will shift when focusing, the rest simply provide a 2nd frameline for close distance. Regarding the shutter speed, most of the vintage RF can go up to 1/500sec that suited most needs, except the Minolta V2/V3 can go up to 1/3000sec but seems not necessary.

I am looking for a reliable and affordable vintage RF I guess I will go for the Konica IIIA, it has everything I want except a long base length, since it's a fixed lens camera I don't need high precision focusing. I wouldn't go for the Yashica mainly because it's electronic, I don't trust electronic camera that old, once it failed it will be total lost, that's why I don't consider the Pentax K2 and LX, it must be a fully mechanical one, so my choice is very limited.

---------- Post added 10-05-23 at 09:51 ----------

Oooh yeah those were the days!!!
I got a ton of toys !

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
------
during that "lull" in the photographic market about 20-30 years ago when anything that wasn't autofocus bayonet mount was being virtually given away
------

05-10-2023, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My first RF was the Zorik 4 sent directly from my Russian friend in Moscow CLA-ed, it looks nice but the curtain fell apart soon after some 'dry run' without film loaded. Then a Kiev 5, same story, then the Fed 2 which I like most, got two both got light leak on the curtain and fogged up my photos. Also got a Lenigend auto winder, actually two, the first one the ceramic film pressure plate broken during shipping so bought another, with sticky curtain. I also had a set of Keiv 4 with few lenses, it was too complicated and hard to repair, and the focusing knob hurted my finger so much, gave it up and sent to "The Bay", I had enough with Soviet RF, excepted I still want to try the leftover radioactive Industar came with the Fed.
My Soviet cameras are mostly (probably) one owner from new … you can tell them 'cos they're often still in the e/r case that looks hardly worn
All bought relatively locally and really cheap
Never had a totally duff one … I'd guess a lot of the gear that's being exported from eastern Europe these days is stuff that's been in a box somewhere for a long time, slowly mouldering away in an attic or garage, before finally finding it's way into the retail chain after a clear-out!
05-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
Unregistered User

I had a Yashica Lynx 1000 and a Lynx 14, both worked OK as far as shutter and film handling, but revisiting them 50 years later I discovered de-silvered pellicle mirrors (essential for RF function) so not recommended, although you can probably find one that works, unlike the Yashica Electro series which are usually DOA.

I also had a Petri, which had a great lens, but the shutter needed an overhaul.
05-10-2023, 06:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most Japanese cameras of the late 1950's simply reek quality.

For $200 or less you can get a Canon P ("Populaire") body, a very nice camera.
It uses interchangeable lenses in M39 LTM (Leica Thread Mount).

There are numerous Japanese fixed-lens rangefinders for $100 or less.

You will want a small handheld or cold shoe-mount exposure meter for use with any of these.

It's hard to find someone who will repair any of the above,
so suggest you be sure whatever you buy is working 100%.

Chris

05-10-2023, 06:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure about vintage German RF and have very little experience with them, I only briefly owned a 2nd hand M2, I can't afford the system so have to let go. I still own couple SLR from the '70s-80s like the Fujica ST-801, the Praktica MTL, and the Pentax Super A. They all worked fine until recently, the Praktica which is fully mechanical stuck up at the winding part, seems something loose inside I can't fix, the other 2 Japanese models are still working fine, except some light leak at the cover on the Fujica and rotten mirror foam damper in all which are expected and easy to fix, so that German made is not always the king except optics and mechanic. In fact, as far as my experience goes, German electronics are not comparable to Japanese one, my Metz 45CT3 and OSRAM BSC 44 big flashgun failed long before my other Japanese ones, but one thing for sure you will get the rated guide no. from German flash gun, my Metz in fact exceeded that by little in full manual I checked with my Minolta flash meter. If you open the case of the Metz and OSRAM you will be shocked by the messy wiring and soldering, even on current Metz hotshoe flash, and the 'tilt sensor' not always work to cause wrong display and reading, where Japanese ones are very tidy and accurate. I worked in a German office machines company as a technician back then. I've seen very primitive designs on the electronic and unreliable buggy design on the logic board (CPU) so I know, but the mechanical parts were overdone so much like a tank. Sorry too much of off topic !
05-10-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry too much of off topic !
You can’t thread hijack your own thread
05-10-2023, 08:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not aware of any others offering a lifetime warranty so the Argus C3 has to be it

Or if you don't appreciate the straight lines how about the BaldaMatic 1

05-10-2023, 09:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I'm not aware of any others offering a lifetime warranty so the Argus C3 has to be it

Or if you don't appreciate the straight lines how about the BaldaMatic 1

The pair of curious eyes of the Argus reminds me of the Mars rover, does it come in DIY kit