Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2024, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

M42 lenses and accessories

So I picked up a couple lenses that are absolute mint, including caps. One is a 200 f3.5 the other is 35 f3.5 both are Takumar M42 mount. I also got a few accessories as part of the package. an old flash as well as a Miranda F clip light meter. So my question is how does the light meter work and can I only use it on a Miranda brand camera? My second question is in regard s to the 200 f 3.5. I am unfamiliar with the aperture settings, it has two setting rings, my only guess is one is used for aperture preview?

Last edited by cuepics; 03-12-2024 at 09:27 AM.
01-07-2024, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the 200mm lens is a preset lens - one ring sets the aperture maximum, the other ring allows you to change apertures up to that max....
01-07-2024, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know about that particular meter, but most of that style of meter will work with any camera.
They generally give you an aperture to use with a selected shutter speed (or vice-versa), given a film speed and light level.

The lenses with two aperture rings are called "preset".
The idea is that you set one ring to the aperture you want to use with the other wide open so you can focus.
When you're ready to take the photo, you move the wide open aperture ring, and it will stop where you have pre-set the other ring.
It is a big pain compared to automatically linked open-aperture metering, where the aperture is stopped down automatically when you take the photo, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

When you see "auto" or "automatic" on an old enough lens, it usually meant that it was not a preset... that it would automatically stop down when you took the photo.
Later Pentax (and other brand) lenses often have the auto/manual switch on the lens to account for cameras that would or would not support automatically stopping down the aperture.

-Eric
01-07-2024, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Its hard to say if the lightmeter is accurate
Set a camera to average metering and compare the readings

The 35/3.5 is a great lens!

01-07-2024, 09:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I don't know about that particular meter, but most of that style of meter will work with any camera.
They generally give you an aperture to use with a selected shutter speed (or vice-versa), given a film speed and light level.

The lenses with two aperture rings are called "preset".
The idea is that you set one ring to the aperture you want to use with the other wide open so you can focus.
When you're ready to take the photo, you move the wide open aperture ring, and it will stop where you have pre-set the other ring.
It is a big pain compared to automatically linked open-aperture metering, where the aperture is stopped down automatically when you take the photo, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

When you see "auto" or "automatic" on an old enough lens, it usually meant that it was not a preset... that it would automatically stop down when you took the photo.
Later Pentax (and other brand) lenses often have the auto/manual switch on the lens to account for cameras that would or would not support automatically stopping down the aperture.

-Eric
Thank you for the concise explanation, I think I get it.
01-08-2024, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cuepics Quote
... Miranda F clip light meter. So my question is how does the light meter work and can I only use it on a Miranda brand camera?
A couple of extra pictures of the light meter would help to be more definitive, but Miranda cameras (the originals, not the later re-badged jobs) often had interchangeable viewfinders, at least one of which (like I've got) has a built-in meter, though it's apparently different in design to this one. There was also a clip-on meter available to fit onto the shutter-speed dial of some models, but again, slightly different to the one I've got documented for my camera.
If the meter needs a battery it may well be a mercury cell, which are no longer available, so there may be a degree of "fiddling about" to get it to work anyway.
01-08-2024, 06:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The clip-lightmeter seems to be a 2 range lightmeter
The instructions are here: Miranda Coupled CDs meter for model F instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual

My guess is:
1. You need to get a battery in there (hearing aid /zinc air) and do a battery check
2. Set your ISO/DIN
3. Set the speed and see where the needle lands Match the f/number to the needle
3. Depending on the light you use the low (red scale) or high (black scale)

ExposureMeter | Miranda

01-08-2024, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The clip-lightmeter seems to be a 2 range lightmeter
The instructions are here: Miranda Coupled CDs meter for model F instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual

My guess is:
1. You need to get a battery in there (hearing aid /zinc air) and do a battery check
2. Set your ISO/DIN
3. Set the speed and see where the needle lands Match the f/number to the needle
3. Depending on the light you use the low (red scale) or high (black scale)

ExposureMeter | Miranda
Also, if you check it against a camera for accuracy, use a flat lighted gray wall or surface. The meter may have some color sensitivity different from your reference so any color cast on the subject could affect the comparison. The metering areas may differ also so get close enough to the wall such that the wall is the only thing being metered.
01-08-2024, 12:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Here are a few pics of the meter in question. It takes a px-13 battery, so I think I will have turn an adapter. But other than to test that the meter functions, I don't have the matching Miranda camera to go with it. I do have Ziess Ikon that also uses that battery, so building an adapter may have more than purpose.
Attached Images

01-08-2024, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Here are a few pics of the meter in question. It takes a px-13 battery, so I think I will have turn an adapter. But other than to test that the meter functions, I don't have the matching Miranda camera to go with it. I do have Ziess Ikon that also uses that battery, so building an adapter may have more than purpose.
Might be a nice collector item for anyone interested in the original Miranda cameras
01-08-2024, 04:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Might be a nice collector item for anyone interested in the original Miranda cameras
Did the F use a m42 mount? (If any one has a Miranda F and is looking for the light meter hit me up with a private message)

Last edited by cuepics; 01-08-2024 at 04:16 PM.
01-08-2024, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Would you share a picture of the clip-on meter on flickr?
That would make this page more complete
Miranda F - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
01-09-2024, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Did the F use a m42 mount? (If any one has a Miranda F and is looking for the light meter hit me up with a private message)
No, the "proper" Mirandas used a unique mount system, comprising an outer bayonet and an inner 44mm thread, (early cameras were 44mm thread only), though an OEM adaptor was available for M42 lenses.
The Miranda F is discussed here Miranda F - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia and a potted history of the Miranda Camera Company can be found here https://www.pentax-slr.com/71760578.html
I enjoy using my Fv occasionally, for that "true waist-level experience".
Seems like a well-built camera, but I only have the 50mm OEM lens for it and rely on Vivitar, Soligor and Tamron interchangeable mount lenses to improve it's flexibility.

Last edited by kypfer; 01-09-2024 at 12:53 AM.
01-09-2024, 05:09 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Would you share a picture of the clip-on meter on flickr?
That would make this page more complete
Miranda F - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
I wouldn't mind doing that, I have never contributed to wiki before so would need some guidance in that regard.