Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
OttawaPh... I checked from here and it's at least a 14hrs drive from Montreal

Just a bit of along drive for a weekend (plus I'll be on night shift that weekend). Shame though I wish I could go...

Pat
Sorry to here Pat. Maybe I can come up that way sometime I would like to get back up to Canada someday, (have a nice cuban cigar ) its a lovely country.
Your always welcome to join, If your ever in Baltimore Maryland, or are in DC let me know.
Let me know if plans happen to change.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I wont be able to attend, looks like I will be laid up.
Whats wrong? Laid-up is usually not good. Hope all is well.
Hope things change and can make it.
Also we will have to do a day thing like in DC during the cherry fest or something.

03-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We are a go!

NEW 3/8/08 We have had 7 people vote in the pole that the last weekend in June is best. I am going to now decide this will be the weekend we use unless a sudden influx. I will be contacting the park about discounted rates etc. next week.
To all those That have said can make it, I will be PM'ing you asking to email me and than I will pull together details, forms etc and email it to everyone in the next week or so. (feel free to PM me too w/ email address)

Thanks, looks like this will go!

Location will be Shenandoah National Park, info here: Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Details for trip/workshops https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190816-post25.html

To view who will probably be coming: PentaxForums.com - View Poll Results
03-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi all, please confirm w/ me you are a firm go for the weekend (last in june) so I can get a true headcount to tell the place for the best discount on rooms etc.
If you can only make Sat. let me know too.
Please PM me, not posting here
03-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hi Mike,
Yes the spring show is at Langley. It is late this year. Normally it is held the end of April/beginning of May. We'll have to arrange to get together at Oceana in September.

03-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Spring/Summer East-Coast Gathering

I'm definitely interested. I live in no va and this sounds like a great idea. Thanx for posting.
Kim
03-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I will be talking with hubby tonight. We are in Pa but that would be a nice little trip Depends on his work schedule.
03-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
I will be talking with hubby tonight. We are in Pa but that would be a nice little trip Depends on his work schedule.
Spouses are welcome, I think I have enough camera I could even lone a few out for them to use if they wish. Many other programs/hikes they can do to while we geek it up.

Hopefully he will say yes, Its a great place.

03-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kayjop Quote
I'm definitely interested. I live in no va and this sounds like a great idea. Thanx for posting.
Kim
Welcome to Pentax Forums Kim... from another Restonian (for another month or so anyway. Moving to Sterling next month).
03-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Hi Guys and Gals,
This will be one of the best shoots I have been on for quite some time, for a couple of reasons. One To get out and shoot with the people of the forum again, and the second one being, this will be the first outing with my new knee. I'm excited about this and hope everyone turns out.
Brendan and I both know Each other very well and have shot together many times. The experience we will all gain from a get together like this, ranges from gaining some techniques and the experience of each others way of shooting. To skills of professionals willing to help us grow. Not to mention the comradery and friendships we will make. I can tell you all from past experiences with other shoots This is one trip you will want to make. See you all the end of June.
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
NEW 3/21 Ok I am hopefully meeting or will be discussing over the phone w/ the manager of the place next week. I plan on trying to obtain a discounted room rate (10% at least) and set up for a fixed-dinner on Sat. with possibility of a slide-show presentation for all to see that evening in their tap-room (i.e.: use of bigger space for free, nice critique time, etc) Please PM me if you have any special food needs, I will try to get it set w/ 2 options in addition to a special needs meal (vegetarian, allergy etc) if any.
Everyone please email me at bominb@hotmail.com so I can send out forms and final pricing details, numbers etc
Note: Everyone will be responsible for park entrance fee, booking their own room and meal service for breakfast and Lunch on Sat and Sunday. I recommend sandwiches and light fair easily made in-room as the dining hall can get pricey for the weekend and busy too. They do have Ice Machines but no other means of refrigeration; I will bring a large coffee maker or 2 for coffee and hot water. I will only be collecting $$ to cover costs of the dinners and supplies, Reduced “fee” for spouses not participating in workshops but would like to join for dinners.
03-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just checked out the website, looks like a great place for a photo weekend.
Now let me see.............. How long would it take me to get there from Australia, if I left the day before !!Ummmmmmmmmmm

Have agreat weekend all
03-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Just checked out the website, looks like a great place for a photo weekend.
Now let me see.............. How long would it take me to get there from Australia, if I left the day before !!Ummmmmmmmmmm

Have agreat weekend all
I think you would win the farthest traveled award... It will be something good! Hope to see you there

But overall, it is a great place to photograph, opps to get wildlife, mtns. fog etc.
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #43
Inactive Account

you've decided to leave our fair city of Reston for greener pastures elsewhere?? (i've only lived here a year so it's not like I know any difference :-) )
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentaxian Summer 08 Gathering (East Coast) Official Details

We Have Conformation! Ok, I talked with sales today and here is the skinny:
Because we are opting for a weekend (easiest for everyone) they do not normally do discounts on rooms. Even on a weekday we would need 15-rooms for the discount.
Now the good news is that they can do a set-meal plan for us and after I get the menu choices I will post for all to see. I may be able to get them even to “cater” the entire event for a bulk rate if some may wish (breakfasts and bag-lunches, however I think the bring-your-own option is still going to be cheaper.
Also if we confirm it they might be able to arrange with the GM of the resort to allow us to be the evening entertainment by projecting a slide show of photos from the day

Now for the Prices:

I talked about conference-room rental if needed, that’s $200 for 5-6hr, however I do not see the need really with only 10 people (as of now) if I get a semi-suite that has a living room that we all can congregate-in.
Cabins (no real view of valley) 1 or 2 beds $73-94/night +tax
Traditional room [better views] 1-2 beds (doubles or queens per request) $118+tax
Camping, please see Shenandoah National Park - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)
[Booking (You MUST book your own room)
Toll free: 888.896.3833 Please request room for Skyland Resort. Check in is Friday June 27th. Check out Sunday June 29th (or when you wish to leave)
Again sorry they do not offer a group rate, despite my sweet-talk, for weekends)]

I estimate following costs for the weekend $3-500 (depending on options and gas)
You’re responsible for booking and providing
Entrance Fee $15/car
Room $175-250
Food breakfast/lunches TBA
“Workshop-fee” $75-100 includes*
(Reduced for spouses/family just wishing to have meals w/ us)
T-Shirt, 16x20 print Classes, freebees from sponsors Guided hikes, and equipment loaners
Food: Welcome BBQ (at picnic area, they changed the rules), 1 Dinner (set meal) at lodge, snacks, drinks, donation to Pentax Forums

I need to know by Tax Tuesday (the 15th) definite numbers for food/attendance and if anyone objects to a public slide-show so I can get firm pricing on food and talk to the GM about the free space for the slide-show presentation to the resort.

*Details:

Fee is to cover expenses only! All remaining money will be donated to Pentax Forums for Server/site maintenance
>T-Shirt will have the date on it, sponsors logos on it red or black (TBA)
>16x20 Print will be from a photo of your choice (digital cameras/files only) Ready on Sunday Also a group shot 8x10 will be taken/given out
>Freebees from sponsors (some will be free-raffled off due to low quantities)
> Use of available Pentax/K-mount lenses that I have (trying to get more from Pentax)
>Slide Show of groups work on Sat. Night
Classes:
>Sunrise shoot if requested (requires waking up at “o-dark-thirty”)
>2 guided hikes (about 1.5-3mi round trip)
>Use of camera and camera basics (as needed)
>How to make your wildlife/scenic shots better
>Advanced Lighting Techniques with your hot-shoed flash (Sigma 500/530 DG Super or Pentax AF360 or 540 required, others may work but not guaranteed)
>Portfolio reviews available on request for Sunday only

We will need to drive to 1 or 2 places (depending on options/hikes chosen); I ask if we can car-pool to save gas/parking. Those who opt to be a group-vehicle (anyone have a mini-van?) for this I will give an extra 16x20 print or 2 to compensate for gas

PLEASE PLEASE email me at bominb@hotmail.com so I have your email to send a PDF form with everything on it to you asap.
thanks
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Menu!

Hi, Attached is a 2 page PDF of the dinner options. Lets try to choose 1 or 2 items that are similarly priced along with an option for soup/salad. In a set order I think we get some % off, but their email was unclear.
I know from past experience that the Turkey dinner is a great value (lots of food) and is very tasty. As for other recommendations, based on price I think the Meatless stuffed Cabbage, the Summer Style Ratatouille or the Va. Ham & Cavatappi sound good and all are less than $16 on this menu (think I will be better with a set order, but unsure.
Add option of a soup or salad, light desert and water/ice tea/soda (Sorry all alcohol is Dutch-Treat only)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sky Dinner Menu2.pdf (207.6 KB, 477 views)