Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2023, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It will sell out, no question. We'll be lucky to see any of these outside of Japan.
Pre-orders being taken in the UK.

04-13-2023, 08:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
CFA-less benefits more lower pixel density sensors

Why?.
04-13-2023, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked Polish prices as shops here started to take preorders. 11500 PLN which is about 2600 more, ~1/3, then regular K-3 Mk III at preorder price. Well, M11 Monochrome is 4 times this price so in digital monochrome world it is cheap I suppose.

@c.a.m. - yes, it is nice that Pentax is taking its promise for future development with fans seriously. I hope we will hear more from them and from Ricoh about future releases.
04-13-2023, 08:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
Why?.
Possibly because low pixel density sensors are more prone to colour moire, and therefore a lack of CFA will have a higher likelihood of eliminating colour moire vs a higher pixel density sensor with CFA where it may not occur as often to begin with.

Anecdotally, I will say my K-3 III almost never produces colour moire while my old K100D did quite a bit.

04-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Yes, a little bit, but embargo, sorry.
I understand However, just a little feedback. I wish K-3III a huge success, but my feeling is that GR IIIm (a monochrome GR III) would be even more successfull. Simply because it is a street camera (where BW is more frequent) and not a camera for sports and birds.
04-13-2023, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice move from Ricoh!

Someone mentioned the price difference to Leica monochrome cameras. I think we really shouldn‘t compare the K3 Monochrome to the Leicas because the Leicas are fullframe and a totally different kind of camera. Interestingly Leica also brings a new camera to market - the M11 monochrome - a 60 MP camera (
).

Look at this video and it should be clear that the Leica 11 Monochrome and K3 Monochrome are no competition to each other. But the K3 Monochrome can be the entry point into this world for many more people.
04-13-2023, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Pentax K-3lll monochrome
Empire strikes back! A piece of art for sure. Paired up with a 20-40 Limited and you have street photography powerhouse. Reminds me of my MX days loaded with TMAX film hitting the street of Boston for some street photography.

04-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
Why?.
When color sensor can produce moiré / false colors, such is the case with the K1 (given suitable subject), meaning the lens out-resolves pixel pitch, the monochrome sensor remove artifacts and improve details.
On the K3 III , from color to monochrome the difference isn't as significant because the 26Mp color sensor already sample all the detail lenses can give.
Now, removing the color filter array on a K5 16Mpixels camera, you get a lot more details out of the monochrome sensor, plus less and refined noise, but that is the same for the K3 III.
To see the difference in detail between K3III color and K3III mono, you'd need to use a very sharp lens, e.g DA 35 macro, DFA100 macro, and not stop it down further than about f/5.6. At f8 the difference will be washed out already.
04-13-2023, 09:21 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 mono video shows the capability of the camera nicely. I noticed the WB controller button on the four way controller had changed to a fx button. I guess there is no need for white balance with a monochrome sensor?
04-13-2023, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #25

After Leica, I always expected Fujifilm to release a monochrome camera before any other.
Well, I'm really happy Pentax did it. I honestly don't care if it's aps-c or FF. For what monochrome is usually intended, aps-c is perfectly fine. Actually if I had to choose between K3iii mono & K1iii mono or future K2 mono, I'd stay with the K3iii because of the size and weight.
Eager to have one and use it asap.
*🍾*🍾
04-13-2023, 09:51 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
After Leica, I always expected Fujifilm to release a monochrome camera before any other.
Well, I'm really happy Pentax did it. I honestly don't care if it's aps-c or FF. For what monochrome is usually intended, aps-c is perfectly fine. Actually if I had to choose between K3iii mono & K1iii mono or future K2 mono, I'd stay with the K3iii because of the size and weight.
Eager to have one and use it asap.
*🍾*🍾
My favourite would have been a KP Monochrome.
04-13-2023, 10:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Several things strike me about the new Monochrome, other than the camera itself.

First, Ricoh Imaging's engagement with their Pentax 'fans'. They sought inputs and ideas -- albeit mainly from a Japan-centric community -- and responded with a real commitment. The Monochrome camera is a reality.

Second, Ricoh Imaging is demonstrating a practical positive example of their new "workshop-like" manufacturing method.

Direct orders for the Matte Black version have already exceeded their expectation. I imagine that the product team is pleased!

Finally, their openness to feedback has been underscored by a direct response from Shigeru Wakashiro, Product Planner in the Pentax Division, to a query from @kwb: March 17 Article on Pentax Film Project - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com. This was related to the film camera project, but I think it reflects the positive and open nature of the Pentax Division generally. How cool is that?

- Craig
“How cool is that”? VERY. Also an interesting business dilemma may await Ricoh: as their “workshop” ideas prove successful, how do they decide which ones to expand internationally, which they must do to realize the increased revenue & profit necessary to begin growing the brand once again.
If they can’t figure that out…well then having them available only in Japan is not the result I’m hoping for.
04-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
“How cool is that”? VERY. Also an interesting business dilemma may await Ricoh: as their “workshop” ideas prove successful, how do they decide which ones to expand internationally, which they must do to realize the increased revenue & profit necessary to begin growing the brand once again.
If they can’t figure that out…well then having them available only in Japan is not the result I’m hoping for.
They are already offered on the european Ricoh Online Stores - 2499,99 € … and I got an email about it.
04-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering about the use of filters on the lens that I used back in my monochrome film days, right at the end of the video, he mentioned that filters would help with the image contrast/highlights. Time to dig my filters out again perhaps. I also wonder how the different adjustments on the 3 capture modes can be utilised to give a preferred look in a user mode, so far none of the reviews I have seen gave explored those options.
04-13-2023, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
he mentioned that filters would help with the image contrast/highlights.
I made a note of that too. I am wondering how much of that filtering can be done in Photoshop. Perhaps shoot the image as flat as possible and add the contrast and other tonal adjustments to taste in post production.