Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2023, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
All the comments so far still ignore the biggest benefit to me of using a dedicated monochrome camera. It forces a different perspective, and being far more cognizant of the elements in the subject when color can't be used as the interest crutch.
That's more or less what I was implying. The technical differences are (to me) not that relevant, it's the change in process and shooting that matters to me. As sensor-tech evolves, a newer color-cam may have better resolution, noise, ... than a mono-cam from a few generations ago. An example was my K-1 vs my CCD M Monochrom. But that doesn't matter to me.

04-24-2023, 05:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I find myself being much more selective with my color camera shots after using one of my monochromes for any extended time. In fact Saturday morning while hiking with my K3III I found myself thinking in black and white more than once, noting light/shadow and shapes more than I typically had until somewhat recently.
Interesting. The Pentax cameras have a decent BW simulation profile, could be used in the field too. The whole interface does not turn monochrome if I remember correctly, but the shown preview is BW. With a software-implemented color filters. I wonder how many people are using that mode.
04-24-2023, 05:44 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
Interesting. The Pentax cameras have a decent BW simulation profile, could be used in the field too. The whole interface does not turn monochrome if I remember correctly, but the shown preview is BW. With a software-implemented color filters. I wonder how many people are using that mode.
I'd used it before, but more often that happened in post. The downside was needing to consciously make a choice of seeing what a B&W would look like after having captured it in color. Most of the time it never occurred to me after the shutter press, and almost never before or during.

Once you have no option for color and so having to commit to learning what makes a monochrome, or more accurately panochrome in deference to Digitalis, both effective and interesting you start seeing your color images from a different perspective too, or at least I do.
04-24-2023, 05:59 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All the comments so far still ignore the biggest benefit to me of using a dedicated monochrome camera. It forces a different perspective,
Yes, of course, but that's apparently not the main interest point for some.

04-24-2023, 06:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'd used it before, but more often that happened in post. The downside was needing to consciously make a choice of seeing what a B&W would look like after having captured it in color. Most of the time it never occurred to me after the shutter press, and almost never before or during.

Perhaps I don't undertsand something. When BW mode is engaged, the resulted preview (shown on display) is BW.

You will only see color when you disengage the BW mode. And when you look into viewfinder, of course What for the images taken in BW mode -- they have a BW jpeg preview, so even activating a color profile is not enough for them. You'll need to process the RAW with a color profile to have a color jpeg. And that will be a new file, the embedded preview will stay BW.
04-24-2023, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, of course, but that's apparently not the main interest point for some.
Because they are the uninitiated, looking at it from a pure technical aspect. Within a couple of days using the new K3III the outlook of using one and the rationale for owning will change IMHO. I started out looking at it as a camera with the potential for better detail, not yet understanding the less obvious changes it would make in my photography overall, color or B&W.
04-24-2023, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps I don't undertsand something. When BW mode is engaged, the resulted preview (shown on display) is BW.

You will only see color when you disengage the BW mode. And when you look into viewfinder, of course What for the images taken in BW mode -- they have a BW jpeg preview, so even activating a color profile is not enough for them. You'll need to process the RAW with a color profile to have a color jpeg. And that will be a new file, the embedded preview will stay BW.
You missed the important aspect for me. Using a monochrome camera takes the choice out of your hands.

I don't have to remember to consider it beforehand or in post. I think different because I have to. In some small way it is akin to the Single In challenge, but on a much higher level. Color will not be a crutch holding me back from becoming more skilled in the art of photography. It is forced on me to succeed or fail, and for that reason alone it's worthy. It is not for the lazy shooter who just wants a focused photo with nice colors.

Think of it this way: Learning a few phrases in a foreign language doesn't make you fluent. The best way is to immerse yourself in the culture, learn the nuances of the language. Otherwise it's just something you generally avoid except for a few uses here or there because you could or perhaps it was fun to do in the moment. You are unlikely to become good at it, able to efficiently communicate, and certainly not able to creatively express yourself in the language as you should.

04-24-2023, 06:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

You missed the important aspect for me. Using a monochrome camera takes the choice out of your hands.
I see your point. But to me there's still plenty of choises: you can decide not take the monohcrome camera with you, or take two cameras and use the color one, or just use your smartphone.. Like with the language immersion, one can always withdraw (if that immersion was by choice).

I understand what you mean saying that color is a crutch. Sometimes it surely is.
04-24-2023, 06:56 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I see your point. But to me there's still plenty of choises: you can decide not take the monohcrome camera with you, or take two cameras and use the color one, or just use your smartphone.. Like with the language immersion, one can always withdraw (if that immersion was by choice).

I understand what you mean saying that color is a crutch. Sometimes it surely is.
it will not be a camera for just anyone. You are probably with the majority.
04-24-2023, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #25

it will not be a camera for just anyone. You are probably with the majority.
This is certainly true.

If we look at the Leica Monochroms for comparison: The 1st one was released in 2012, but on the Leica-forums, people are still debating whether a Mono-camera makes sense. The short answer is: to some it does, to many, it doesnt However, Leica keeps on releasing Monochroms, so it seems a viable product.
04-24-2023, 10:27 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sample pictures at pentax official site do look great technically. The only thing missing is the grain... Does the camera have some option to simulate film grain?
04-24-2023, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Because they are the uninitiated, looking at it from a pure technical aspect. Within a couple of days using the new K3III the outlook of using one and the rationale for owning will change IMHO. I started out looking at it as a camera with the potential for better detail, not yet understanding the less obvious changes it would make in my photography overall, color or B&W.
Hey, I'm with ya. My fave film camera was the Fuji GSW690II (and if you ever want to try film again, these Fuji's--they come in a few flavors---are the way to do it. Skip the 645 ones, handy though they are. Go for the 6x7 or 6x9 models...). The only time that camera saw color film was when I shot transparencies for documenting my artwork. All of my other work with it was B+W. So, I fully understand the "commitment" to B+W that the K3III Mono entails from the standpoint of head space. Which for most photography modes---not all!---is the most important thing.
04-27-2023, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One more report was published today.

Yodobashi Camera
http://photo.yodobashi.com/pentax/camera/k3iii_monochrome/

I added it to the original post too.
04-27-2023, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Ned Bunnell has posted high ISO samples to his album, from 51200 up to 204,800. Absolutely usable images at all of them. Impressive performance!
K-3 III Monochrome | Flickr
04-27-2023, 10:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Ned Bunnell has posted high ISO samples to his album, from 51200 up to 204,800. Absolutely usable images at all of them. Impressive performance!
K-3 III Monochrome | Flickr
WOW! with available light 51200, 65xxx ISO are very impressive. 204800 ISO is great, just some question about real ISO, because short info states 65xxx ISO.