Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2023, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A Leica M246 is near-vintage isn't it?
Yes, it was introduced in 2015. The real vintage one is the CCD-era Monochrom, its brutal simplicity is an eye-opener when coming from the typical Japanese camera; the M246 is already a bit more polished

Yes you can buy older and less capable Leica M camera bodies and get sorta close, within 25% perhaps, of the price of a new warrantied Pentax kit even including a new highly regarded lens like an FA31 or DA21. Not exactly Apples to apples but as you say, you would be buying a Leica.
I've used both systems next to each other, vastly different but are both very engaging to use.

I'm really looking forward to pick up my K3iiiM soon. I already have so many ideas for shooting and highly anticipating going visiting some locations with it and my new lenses

04-28-2023, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Plot twist: suddenly, the old K- and A- lenses with built-in filters make sense again.
04-28-2023, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m awaiting a used k3 monochrome converted camera so similar questions percolating in my head. The DA Ltd series and the FA Ltd series are definitely on my list to try using with the camera. The DA* zooms I own will also get a spin on it. Honestly there aren’t many lenses that I don’t want to try from my collection.
04-28-2023, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, If you're curious why I only needed three filter thread sizes it's because I use three H&Y adapters that allow covering the entire range from 46-82mm.
I have been looking into those as well

04-28-2023, 06:57 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
When I pre-ordered, I didn't even know there were two versions of the KiiiMono, so I have no idea what I'm getting

As for lenses, I'll be trying them all! I have all the DA and FA Limited primes, all the DA* and DFA* zooms and primes, and a bunch of others. I'll be using the DA* 16-50 PLM every day in May as part of the Single In Challenge.

I have no plans to buy any new lenses. Coloured filters are another matter altogether though
You know - on Ricoh Japan website, the Matte version is listed for ~¥300,000, which closer to $3,000. I wonder they if they meant to list it for $2,999, not $2,299.

---------- Post added 04-28-23 at 10:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
DFA 21 limited seems like a nice match for it.
I was thinking that - precisely.

---------- Post added 04-28-23 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
Plot twist: suddenly, the old K- and A- lenses with built-in filters make sense again.
Even old Taks again beginning to look pretty good.
04-29-2023, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
SMC 18mm f/2.5: I sold this one a few years ago: smc Pentax 'K' 18mm f/3.5 lens -- Rare -- Price drop - PentaxForums.com

Maybe I should have held onto it in anticipation of the Monochrome!

- Craig
04-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K3IIIm won't be just a street camera and short compact lenses. For those with the DFA150-450 I think you'll find it makes a very viable "walkaround" lens.

When using my my K1 or K3 Monochrome, much of what I'm finding interesting, whether it's the shape or the contrasts, I'm capturing at a distance. which can mean some heavy cropping or a telephoto. The 150-450 works out so well because of the relatively close focus distance of just 2 meters, and the excellent performance at even full reach which is uncommon on long zoom lenses.

04-29-2023, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #23

When using my my K1 or K3 Monochrome, much of what I'm finding interesting, whether it's the shape or the contrasts, I'm capturing at a distance. which can mean some heavy cropping or a telephoto. The 150-450 works out so well because of the relatively close focus distance of just 2 meters, and the excellent performance at even full reach which is uncommon on long zoom lenses.
Longer focal lengths certainly provide great opportunities for B&W-images.

My 1st lens-pick for the K3iiiM is the DFA* 70-200, as I bought the camera specifically for some purposes my other B&W-system is less suitable for, such as tele. I'm really looking forward to bring the combination to the peat bogs for some depressive or slightly abstract shots.
04-29-2023, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

The K3IIIm won't be just a street camera and short compact lenses. For those with the DFA150-450 I think you'll find it makes a very viable "walkaround" lens.

The Fuji XF 90/2 was my most-used landscape lens here in southeastern Arizona. Sometimes it was a little too long, sometimes too short. We have some very wide open areas where tele works great for landscape.

I've been debating the 60-250, focal length on the K3mkIII would work great for landscape stuff, and still offer options for other shooting I do now as targets of opportunity (birds, aircraft). I know the 70-210, 70-200 and 150-450 have faster AF but size, weight, sharpness across the frame, OOF transitions and cost... trying to figure the balancing point I'm comfortable with.

I had the DA*200 and 300 previously, and their AF performance improved significantly moving them from the K-1 to the K3mkIII. I'm curious if the AF performance on the 60-250 is similar to the 200 and 300?
04-30-2023, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it seems only fitting that I go way back to the beginning, the mono beginning, the SLR beginning, so the lens that I have to try when my K3III Mono arrives is the classic Takumar 1:1.9 f=83mm Asahi-Kogaku, if it is good enough for an Asahiflex, it will be good enough for the new mono. A close runner up which would be more "normal" would be the bokeh monster Auto-Takumar 1:2.3/35 . Classic lenses to give the new camera some vintage chic
04-30-2023, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
Longer focal lengths certainly provide great opportunities for B&W-images.

My 1st lens-pick for the K3iiiM is the DFA* 70-200, as I bought the camera specifically for some purposes my other B&W-system is less suitable for, such as tele. I'm really looking forward to bring the combination to the peat bogs for some depressive or slightly abstract shots.
That's a good choice. I'm unsure if I've used mine yet for mono, but it would certainly be smaller and less in-your-face. Notice I didn't say lighter
04-30-2023, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #27

Notice I didn't say lighter
Yeah that's my punishment for wanting a short lens
04-30-2023, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd imagine the DFA21mm f/2.4 Limited will be a popular choice, since it its performance characteristic is basically identical to the FA31 with the minor difference of a slightly faster aperture on the FA31 which is offset by the close focusing ability of the DFA21.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-30-2023 at 07:20 AM.
04-30-2023, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'd imagine the DFA21mm f/2.4 will be a popular choice, since it its performance characteristic is basically identical to the FA31 with the minor difference of a slightly faster aperture on the FA which is offset by the close focusing ability of the DFA21.
I don’t own the k3iii mono or that lens but I do have the DA 21. I’m considering using a newly purchased k-3 mono (converted) in this months single in challenge with the DA 35. I wonder if the DA 21 should be on my list of possible lenses for this month. Hummmm.
04-30-2023, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'd imagine the DFA21mm f/2.4 Limited will be a popular choice, since it its performance characteristic is basically identical to the FA31 with the minor difference of a slightly faster aperture on the FA which is offset by the close focusing ability of the DFA21.
I used that lens on my monochrome K-1 for the first time last week. It did a great job, particularly impressive at closer focusing distances and wide open.