Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2023, 11:05 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3iii Mono and what lens? Let's geek out

Hi folks

This thread is for those of us who got tricked into buying K3iii mono, and for those who are about to be tricked into buying one, or for those who don't ever want to buy one because b/w photos are for peasants.

For the record, I was coerced into buying the Matte version, when my name was not even Matt.

While we wait for the mono to arrive hopefully on a weekday when my wife works all day, let's fantasize about the must have lenses we need buy immediately, aside from what we already have, that must be mounted to mono sooner or later.

I for one sure would like to mount some Canon lenses (no I don't).

04-28-2023, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Well, I have the standard Monochrome on pre-order. Not sure when that's going to arrive.

For me, I want to keep it as compact and light as possible, and I'm a big fan of the Limiteds. First lenses will likely be Limited 21 and 70. Thinking of the 16-85 for a WR walk-around general purpose lens. Will look at other lenses after working with these for a while.
04-28-2023, 01:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I pre-ordered, I didn't even know there were two versions of the KiiiMono, so I have no idea what I'm getting

As for lenses, I'll be trying them all! I have all the DA and FA Limited primes, all the DA* and DFA* zooms and primes, and a bunch of others. I'll be using the DA* 16-50 PLM every day in May as part of the Single In Challenge.

I have no plans to buy any new lenses. Coloured filters are another matter altogether though
04-28-2023, 01:50 AM - 4 Likes   #4

My mono was delivered to my neighbour ten minutes ago, I'm at work. Dammit.

I plan on using the 15/35/70 limiteds as well as the 100 macro. They all use 49 mm filters. Those are all in my Super-Tak Spotmatic bag :-)
Happy days!

04-28-2023, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I had a KiiiMono on the way -- which sadly I haven't -- I'd be looking for a K15mm/3.5 in good condition. The built-in yellow and orange filters would work wonderfully with that mono sensor, and being able to just dial them in whenever needed would make things a lot easier.

It would be fantastic if Pentax was to release something like a 16-50mm with built-in yellow, orange and red filters specifically for the KiiiMono. I know it won't happen, but there's no harm in imagining it.
04-28-2023, 02:07 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If I had a KiiiMono on the way -- which sadly I haven't -- I'd be looking for a K15mm/3.5 in good condition.
As luck would have it, I have one one them, and a K 17/4.0 Fisheye, which also has built-in filters. Good times ahead.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-28-2023 at 02:12 AM.
04-28-2023, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As luck would have it, I have one one them, and a K 17/4.0 Fisheye, which also has built-in filters. Good times ahead.

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the results you get with both of those lenses. I've never owned the 15mm, but I had the Takumar version of the 17mm and loved it.

04-28-2023, 02:26 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA 21 limited seems like a nice match for it.
04-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #9

The K3iiiM lured me back into the Pentax-system, after I sold my K-1 + DFA-glass last year to help finance my 2nd M Monochrom (M246, as my old CCD Mono starts to display the sensor-glass corrosion)

The K3iiiM will be for situations where the M Mono, or my GR3x (or GR3) is less suitable. So tele-work, bad weather & outdoors.

I purchased the following lenses to go with the Mono-Petnax, and already tested these on my K50:
  • HD DA 10-17 fisheye (great little lens with amazing min. focus distance; can't wait to do some crazy interior shots with this)
  • DA Ltd 20-40 for urban bad weather; sweet midrange-zoom.
  • DFA* 70-200 for tele; heavy but focuses really fast, even on the K50; seems (nearly) apochromatic; still need to have it calibrated as I didnt quite succeed myself.

Other focal lengths, as well as fast apertures, are already nicely covered on my other systems.
04-28-2023, 03:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
DFA 21 limited seems like a nice match for it.
Exactly my thoughts, too. Though my wife has almost all the DA Ltds, so might try to borrow the DA15 and DA21 if I wanted a lighter combo. I used to like the F28 on my K-5, but haven't really used it on the K3iii (colour) so far, it might go well with the K3iii mono - effectively 43mm on crop. And of course DFA*50 for portraits... So many choices!!! Just need the camera..
04-28-2023, 03:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm new to Pentax digital but after doing my research, mostly here, I've purchased four 'limiteds' on ebay. Two have arrived, two I'm still waiting for. I may or may not get the 20-40 zoom, I'll have to see how I use the camera.

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F/4 ED
SMC-Pentax DA 21mm F/3.2 AL
SMC-Pentax DA f/ 2.8 35mm Macro
SMC Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4
04-28-2023, 03:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
When I pre-ordered, I didn't even know there were two versions of the KiiiMono, so I have no idea what I'm getting

As for lenses, I'll be trying them all! I have all the DA and FA Limited primes, all the DA* and DFA* zooms and primes, and a bunch of others. I'll be using the DA* 16-50 PLM every day in May as part of the Single In Challenge.

I have no plans to buy any new lenses. Coloured filters are another matter altogether though
I bought two full sets (5) of vintage glass filters, 77 and 82, for a pittance. Filled out the 67 range for less than $120. But going on eBay just now it's slim pickings for good glass ones.

My guess is that's due to the news, comments, and reviews prompted by the K3III mono release raising the overall interest in black and white photography. Suddenly it's realistically affordable, which wasn't the case when Leica was the only entrant.

Oh, If you're curious why I only needed three filter thread sizes it's because I use three H&Y adapters that allow covering the entire range from 46-82mm.
04-28-2023, 03:56 AM   #13

If I were to test drive either version of the K-3 III (which I'm not), the two lenses I'd like to have with it might be:
1. DA 18-135 F3.5-5.6 for great versatility

2. D FA 50 F2.8 for great image quality, macro and low light capabilities
04-28-2023, 04:00 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
My guess is that's due to the news, comments, and reviews prompted by the K3III mono release raising the overall interest in black and white photography. Suddenly it's realistically affordable, which wasn't the case when Leica was the only entrant.
I think that if someone can afford a K3iiiM + 2 lenses, then a (used) Leica Monochrom + a few lenses should be no problem either. That's my personal experience.

A used M Monochrom M246 is in the range of 3-3.5k, and a good lens can be as cheap as 250-400. In fact, many of the lenses I acquired for the K3iiiM were more expensive than most of the lenses I have for my M-system. So for around 3.5k, you could have a Monochrom + 2 good lenses, so this is in roughly the same price range as the K3iii + 2 good lenses.

Of course, if there's also the likes of the APO Summicron, Noctilux, etc, but those are not mandatory to get into the M Monochrom

It all comes down to personal choices, preferences, and research.
04-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sjak Quote
I think that if someone can afford a K3iiiM + 2 lenses, then a (used) Leica Monochrom + a few lenses should be no problem either. That's my personal experience.

A used M Monochrom M246 is in the range of 3-3.5k, and a good lens can be as cheap as 250-400. In fact, many of the lenses I acquired for the K3iiiM were more expensive than most of the lenses I have for my M-system. So for around 3.5k, you could have a Monochrom + 2 good lenses, so this is in roughly the same price range as the K3iii + 2 good lenses.

Of course, if there's also the likes of the APO Summicron, Noctilux, etc, but those are not mandatory to get into the M Monochrom

It all comes down to personal choices, preferences, and research.
A Leica M246 is near-vintage isn't it? And buying one new will still hit your pocket for $4600USD.

Yes you can buy older, used, and less capable Leica M camera bodies and get sorta close, within 25% perhaps, of the price of a new warrantied Pentax kit even including a new highly regarded lens like an FA31 or DA21. Not exactly Apples to apples but as you say, you would be buying a Leica which means something for many photographers.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-28-2023 at 06:28 AM.