Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1973 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2023, 03:05 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post your K3iii Monochrome photos

Picked up my new toy today, only just had a few minutes to play today, but hope to do a proper comparison with my regular K3iii over next few weeks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome  Photo 
05-05-2023, 11:17 AM - 3 Likes   #2

Mo-Mo enjoying the early evening light

Pentax 20-40 Limited

A lot sharper on flickr.

05-05-2023, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todders1 Quote

Pentax 20-40 Limited

A lot sharper on flickr.

Nice pic!
We have cat named Momo too. The kids had just watched "Avatar: The last Airbender" when we got the kittne...and that was a character in the series.
05-05-2023, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Nice pic!
We have cat named Momo too. The kids had just watched "Avatar: The last Airbender" when we got the kittne...and that was a character in the series.
Excellent he was called Mamoa originally after Jason because of his size and colours, but my wife changed it to Mo-Mo :-)

05-07-2023, 04:45 AM - 11 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another photo that demonstrates to me the virtually noiseless performance at 6400 ISO, and lovely rendering from the DFA 21...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
05-07-2023, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by todders1 Quote

Pentax 20-40 Limited

A lot sharper on flickr.
Great image, perfect for B&W!
05-07-2023, 08:15 AM - 15 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been playing with mine a bit today:

Really interesting to start thinking and seeing in B&W.

05-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Picked up my new toy today, only just had a few minutes to play today, but hope to do a proper comparison with my regular K3iii over next few weeks.
Nice to find a picture that is "straight from the camera" … I think every other example I've looked at has been through one third-party package or another!
05-07-2023, 11:55 AM - 13 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very happy with the camera.

Staircase with skylight, K3iim & DA 15 Ltd, developed in C1.
Attached Images

05-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Nice to find a picture that is "straight from the camera" … I think every other example I've looked at has been through one third-party package or another!
Thanks! However, it was like that because I only had my phone with me - so sooc jpg was the only option.. .. normally I go through Lightroom. 😀
05-07-2023, 09:26 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Another photo that demonstrates to me the virtually noiseless performance at 6400 ISO, and lovely rendering from the DFA 21...
That's ISO6400... dear god.

Well, that solves that.
05-08-2023, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Straight from the camera" means it's processed according to the chosen "color" profile and maybe some chosen parameter changes.

Choosing the "Flat" profile - if existent - should deliver the captured physical light levels mapped to jpg 8bit values (jpg is an eight bit format) ... i.e. only 256 ((black = 0 ... white = 255) possible grey tone values, I guess. These are mapped from 16384 (black = 0 ... white = 16383) possible grey tones that are captured using raw of the 14bit (monochrome) sensor and its 14bit Analog-Digital converter.

Consequences using b&w jpg that should be IMO considered:

much lesser hue separation with b&w jpg files than color jpg files which support more than 16 million colors (three 8-bit channels, Red, Green, Blue)
• over all it's important to use optical color filters to optimize hue separation to work out subject and message as far as possible. This has to be done in the field!
post processing / editing based on b&w jpg should be avoided since it bares a much more higher risk to get banding and loosing even more data than using jpg color files. Think of very slight graytone gradients. In post it can cause banding very quickly I suspect
• it's even more important to shoot raw parallel to jpg when using b&w sensors than with color sensors. b&w sensors would IMO benefit more from real 16bit sensors, i.e. such with 16bit AD converter, than color sensors

A wish from my side

Since using optical filters in the field is something special, I'd really appreciate hints about filters used, and why in what environment ... like Ansel Adams did in some of his books. I think we could learn a lot from such descriptions.

Despite of all the adverting and "test" videos we can view on YouTube etc. Monochrome sensor b&w photography isn't only about the technical specs of a special camera!

Last edited by acoufap; 05-08-2023 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Consequences of b&w jpg added and a wish from my side
05-10-2023, 03:43 AM   #13

Has anyone tried the in-camera digital filters yet? I'm especially interested how the "Grainy Monochrome" filter looks like.
05-10-2023, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
Has anyone tried the in-camera digital filters yet? I'm especially interested how the "Grainy Monochrome" filter looks like.
Here is a comparison; it's subtle.

This is the SOOC .jpeg with the "Grainy Monochrome" preset in the camera (the preset applies only to the .jpeg in the DNG + .jpeg pair):
K3MM0028_Grainy | Grainy Monochrome in-camera preset for .jp? | Flickr

Here is the full-sized .jpeg export from LR from the original .dng file with no modifications:
K3MM0028-2 | Jpeg conversion from DNG in LR | Dan Peterson | Flickr

You can, of course, modify the the "intensity" of the preset; I left the Grainy Monochrome setting at its default level (Med). There are only 3 settings: Low/Med/High.

Last edited by dadu007; 05-10-2023 at 01:16 PM. Reason: extra description
05-10-2023, 03:13 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the first images shot with my Monochrome camera.

21mm F3.2 AL Limited
18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
on the K3 Mark III Monochrome.

I have others but I'm sort of fond of the 21mm on this camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF