Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2023, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Hard

No filter

Yellow-Green

Orange
The flag in the various images show very well the effect of the filters. Depending on the filter used, the contrast between the stripes and the rectangle around the stars greatly increases.

In another comment, someone asked about white balance. The is no white balance on a monochromatic camera. When you think of the purpose of white-balance, it will become obvious why.

Regarding the look of the files out of the camera: These are quite flat, and this is a good thing. This allows us to add the contrast where WE want it in the luminosity-range, and as such gives us more options for processing. The Leica Monochroms also deliver very flat raw-files btw, and the Phase One Achromat too, so this is not unique or specific to the K3iiiM. When I jut had my 1st Leica Mono 5+ years ago I played a little with jpg-modes and some gave a decent and pleasing contrast; but we're really wasting the potential of a monochromatic camera if we shoot jpg.

In my experience with my Leica Monochroms, I get the most dramatic results with dark blue and deep red filters. My most used filter is orange though, as the dramatic effect of dark blue and deep red is often too much. (I don't have filters (yet) for most of the lenses I use on the K3iiiM so haven't played with filters on it, but I expect similar results as on my Leicas)

01-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This chart should be very useful for understanding the effect of different color filters on your K3III Monochrome. Courtesy of a member at Leica forums.
Leica M10 Monochrom - Swatch Comparison | This chart shows t? | Flickr
02-11-2024, 10:21 AM   #33

I was watching a photographer, who primarily shoots in B&W, and he uses the Green channel and also pulls down the highlight end of the histogram curve to get his "chrome skin" look.

Question: Would a "Primary Green" filter on the Monochrome be much the same as shooting in the Green channel with a Bayer color sensor? Effect the same?

Go to 2:30 minute mark where he shows the computer screen and explanation.

Maybe a Tiffen #58 Green https://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-77mm-58-Filter-Green/dp/B00004ZCHO?tag=pentaxforums-20&th=1 or a Lee #139 Primary Green gel over studio lights or flash? 139 Primary Green - LEE Filters

Never really thought about gelling the studio flash for B&W shots rather than putting an expensive filter on the Monochrome's camera lens. Gels are pretty cheap, ~$9 for a 24x21 inch square sheet at my local lighting shop.

Last edited by Mack53; 02-11-2024 at 07:13 PM.
02-14-2024, 10:43 PM   #34

Some comparison shots with nothing, tiffen green 61, orange 21, red 29

---------- Post added 02-14-24 at 11:21 PM ----------

The file names don't show, actual order is green, nothing, orange, red

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
02-17-2024, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The crocuses blossoms show soft lilac gradation to the petals’ tips and pistrils of strong yellow to orange. A dark bug is climbing a petals border.

The wideband red filter erases the pistrils’ strong color contrast to low monochrome contrast - optical preprocessing at location. So the dark bug suddenly climbs in a landscape of white to light grey crocus petals. One reality my camera captured.
Using color filters can help reduce divertion from our main subject …

Viewing color has an effect on our brains. Experience and emotions might change if we look through colored glasses. So an optical color filter used in front of an optical viewfinder might have a different effect on our decisions as if using a monitor already showing the scenery in black and white.
02-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by avandesande Quote
Some comparison shots with nothing, tiffen green 61, orange 21, red 29

---------- Post added 02-14-24 at 11:21 PM ----------

The file names don't show, actual order is green, nothing, orange, red
It's really hard to see much difference! The hill in the background looks different, but more like a lighting change between the shots?