Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2023, 12:45 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Luigi Barbano's full review of the K-3III Monochrome

Hope this is useful. I do like his knowledgeable and experienced view on Pentax cameras and lenses.

Enjoy!

05-26-2023, 08:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This a very good review of the camera. For black and white photography, it definitely is the way to go.
05-27-2023, 02:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K3III mono is a great camera , but....

More than half of my print collection are black & white prints, black & white with a tweak.
I learned to dislike pure black & white image, both on display and in prints. I dislike pure digital B&W image because they feel too cold , and not even cold enough to convey anything.
So, counter the "cold" look of black&white images, I add a tiny bit of brown tone (but not sepia, or selenium look).
When I say, "tiny bit of brown" it's not much, but it's enough to make digital b&w look more like original b&w silver paper prints.
My secret recipe is to convert images to black & white within an R,G,B (R=G=B), and then shift the tone curve of the red by +3 to +5 and shift the tone curve of the blue down by -3 to -5. And by doing so, my black & white prints look just right to the eye.
If I had a Pentax K3 III monochrome, I would not like the output, too cold for me, I would need to bring back the file into R,G,B and tone them.
Hopefully, Ricoh will also provide some toning options in the K3 III mono, sometimes in the future, via firmware update.
05-27-2023, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K3III mono is a great camera , but....

More than half of my print collection are black & white prints, black & white with a tweak.
I learned to dislike pure black & white image, both on display and in prints. I dislike pure digital B&W image because they feel too cold , and not even cold enough to convey anything.
So, counter the "cold" look of black&white images, I add a tiny bit of brown tone (but not sepia, or selenium look).
When I say, "tiny bit of brown" it's not much, but it's enough to make digital b&w look more like original b&w silver paper prints.
My secret recipe is to convert images to black & white within an R,G,B (R=G=B), and then shift the tone curve of the red by +3 to +5 and shift the tone curve of the blue down by -3 to -5. And by doing so, my black & white prints look just right to the eye.
If I had a Pentax K3 III monochrome, I would not like the output, too cold for me, I would need to bring back the file into R,G,B and tone them.
Hopefully, Ricoh will also provide some toning options in the K3 III mono, sometimes in the future, via firmware update.
Tone is there as a setting under the custom image button. From blue to brown. It is probably what you want.

05-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Tone is there as a setting under the custom image button. From blue to brown. It is probably what you want.
Yes but I haven't seen any review talking about toning, and none of the sample monochrome images I 've seen were toned.
05-27-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes but I haven't seen any review talking about toning, and none of the sample monochrome images I 've seen were toned.
For me personally, the toning doesn't look great depending upon the subject. Also, for me personally, I prefer just a hint of toning and find the in-camera and DCU minimum settings too strong. I have not explored other options as of yet.

I have examples of an outside and inside scene, and can post them in the image thread if anyone would like to see them.
05-28-2023, 02:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
For me personally, the toning doesn't look great depending upon the subject. Also, for me personally, I prefer just a hint of toning and find the in-camera and DCU minimum settings too strong.
Same for me. What I'm doing to my black & white is a mini sepia/brown toning, roughtly 1% to 2% of brown added to pure b&w, you can't tell images have been toned, but they look like traditional silver black&white paper prints.

There is a story behind the correction I apply to b&w images. Photolabs use papers optimized for color images, those modern papers contain optical brighteners, they are whiter than natural paper.

When printed pure black&white images on those papers, they exhibit a subtle blue tint (which will fade over 10, 20, 30 years..), while traditional b&w paper pulls very slightly towards yellowish/brownish (natural paper).