Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
I have K3iiiM and D-FA*50 1.4 : the combination rocks. (as does the D-FA Ltd 21 2.4 and I agree the DA*200 2.8 is also a good match)

For portraits, I doubt you would be disappointed with the D-FA* - it's clinically sharp from F1.4, but transitions to out of focus beautifully. Hope that helps

I'll try to upload something with the combo tomorrow.
Thanks a lot phoebus!! It's the answer i was looking for.Real user feedback.The K3III Mono is so sharp natively,i was astonished at first!Much sharper IMO than a bayer 24 mp sensor aps-c (i have one btw).So it came by surprise to me and i had to look at what lens could provide at least the same native sharpness across the frame at the wider f stops.

The other important thing for me is the field curvature.Do you notice any with the D-FA*50 1.4?
Again,thanks a bunch.Much appreciated.

Last edited by Artphoto; 06-02-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Adding something usefull to the conversation.
06-02-2023, 03:23 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Artphoto Quote
The other important thing for me is the field curvature.Do you notice any with the D-FA*50 1.4?
None I can see here! Crop camera. Wide open. Bigger version in Flickr

A look along the bottom of this full frame shot shows a pretty straight line of focus as well.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-02-2023 at 03:34 PM.
06-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Excellent!!Thank you Sandy!
06-03-2023, 03:17 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the DFA *50 and a regular K-3 III. I have been very pleased with the combination and find that it locks focus quickly and is sharp from wide open.

I wouldn't see why using it with a monochrome K-3 III would give different results.

06-03-2023, 04:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have the DFA *50 and a regular K-3 III. I have been very pleased with the combination and find that it locks focus quickly and is sharp from wide open.

I wouldn't see why using it with a monochrome K-3 III would give different results.
Great photos.Thank you Rondec!
06-03-2023, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Hi @Artphoto,

I'm away from my home fileserver, so here is a new photo with the D-FA*50 fully open. Subject matter is not very photogenic, but hopefully illustrates the performance!

First photo is JPG direct from the camera (almost 11MB before being downsampled on upload Dropbox Link to original), second is via LR Classic. There is virtually no distortion I can detect with this lens, focus is quick, accurate and quiet - no focus fine adjustment has been necessary on my K-1, K-3iii or K-3iiiM.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome  Photo 
06-03-2023, 03:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Hi @Artphoto,

I'm away from my home fileserver, so here is a new photo with the D-FA*50 fully open. Subject matter is not very photogenic, but hopefully illustrates the performance!

First photo is JPG direct from the camera (almost 11MB before being downsampled on upload Dropbox Link to original), second is via LR Classic. There is virtually no distortion I can detect with this lens, focus is quick, accurate and quiet - no focus fine adjustment has been necessary on my K-1, K-3iii or K-3iiiM.
Wow!!It's really good for a wide open shot.I like the precision of the lite gray fine lines on the label.Thanks a lot @phoebus

06-03-2023, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A look along the bottom of this full frame shot shows a pretty straight line of focus as well.
Sandy, you are showing off a little more than your field curvature with this lot!
06-04-2023, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
Sandy, you are showing off a little more than your field curvature with this lot!
Sorry (not sorry)
They were actually the best examples I had to demonstrate the flat focal plane with this lens.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-04-2023 at 03:31 AM.
06-25-2023, 01:37 AM   #25

Wow

Can I please be invited for a drink at your pkace?
06-25-2023, 01:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Seen Quote
Can I please be invited for a drink at your pkace?
That photo was taken at my brother's 60th birthday party, at Falls Creek in the Victorian snow country.
I you want an invitation, you'll have to earn it
06-25-2023, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #27

That photo was taken at my brother's 60th birthday party, at Falls Creek in the Victorian snow country.
I you want an invitation, you'll have to earn it
I guess if it’s in the past it’s gone. That is one heck of a drinks list. Impressed.