Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Your favorite neck strap?

I've really only used OpTek gel straps in the past...while they are pretty comfortable...has there been anything new to come out worth looking at in the past 2-3 years that I don't know about?

05-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutly the best strap. Blackrapid R strap.

BlackRapid.com
05-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is pretty nice...I carry my camera that way with the Pentax strap but it's really short. Just don't know that I want to pay so much for a strap.
05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't like that type of strap. I keep a tripod quick-connect plate attached to the bottom of both camera bodies for a start, so having a strap that screws into where the tripod plates are won't work.

Second, I hate carrying straps diagonally across the body like that - I'm tall and quite big, so that method of strap-carrying pulls very unconfortably on the side of the neck - I call it a strangle-strap If I'm carrying just one camera, I carry it over the one shoulder, where the pull is straight down, not sideways towards the opposite side.

I've been using the straightforward Pentax straps that came with the K20D cameras since I first got them, but I've just got a Think Tank Rotation 360 backpack, which I love. They come with a camera strap (and I have a second strap arriving tomorrow) that is quite different. It has metal rings half way up the straps on each side, and the backpack has clips on the front of the shoulder straps. You simply clip the camera strap to the backpack straps, and the camera is then slung from the backpack, rather than your neck, and is instantly ready for use. For two cameras, you attach one to each shoulder strap. Works perfectly!

See:

Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

Click on the features icon bottom left then scroll through the "Next" butons - there's loads of features! But then click on the "Downloads" icon, and download the PDF called "Instructions" and check out how the camera strap works. Even without the Rotation 360 backpack itself, I'm sure the method can be adapted to other backpacks - just need to fit clips to the front of the straps.

Once you've carried the camera(s) attached to the backpack straps, you'll not want to go back to slinging it around your neck!

05-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

With the dual strap, the weight is taken on the shoulders instead of across the neck. I haven't tried mine with a single body yet.

The Blackrapid allows the use of any mounting device that has a D-ring or similar and screws into the tripod mount on the camera. One of my tripod's QR plate has an arrangement on the underside of the QR plate that's used to turn the screw when mounting to the camera and has a hole to allow something else to be attached. I haven't tried it yet with the BR strap. Maybe tonight.
05-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I like wearing my camera across my body and none of the standard straps are long enough for this. I modified an old Pentax strap from an ME Super and an old Op-Tech strap I picked up. I joined them together to give me the length, look and comfort I wanted. I wish Pentax would offer some more options for straps as I think the standard ones are pretty useless.
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I make my own straps and have done for decades. I used to be a rock and ice climber, and bought nylon webbing by the spool. I cut a length that allows me to carry my camera about mid-torso, or over one shoulder so it's firm against my body when hiking. If I want it shorter, I can easily re-knot the strap.

It's not for everyone, and isn't elegant, but it's strong enough for climbing so strong enough for my camera, as long as the knots are tied properly. I described it in an article on my website. If interested, see "Making a Custom Camera Neck Strap."

05-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Absolutly the best strap. Blackrapid R strap.

BlackRapid.com
I will echo this. I particularly like this for my 70-200 f/2.8, and especially when I have a second body with me.

When a little more casual, I actually use the thin strap from an SF-1 or a PZ-1. I have it fitted with quick release and also with a wrist strap on quick release. Something of my own making. This means I can use virtually any strap as long as it is fitted with quick release. Or no strap. Sometimes I take off the strap and use the wrist strap only.

Either way, here's a tip: when carrying the camera over your shoulder with a strap (not diagonally, but hanging down off of one shoulder) , try this... resist the temptation to put your arm through the strap with the lens facing out and away from your body. Face the lens in. Then position the lens along the small of your back. Much more secure, much more out of the way, much more discrete, better balanced, etc.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 05-03-2010 at 05:04 PM.
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I make my own straps and have done for decades. I used to be a rock and ice climber, and bought nylon webbing by the spool. I cut a length that allows me to carry my camera about mid-torso, or over one shoulder so it's firm against my body when hiking. If I want it shorter, I can easily re-knot the strap.

It's not for everyone, and isn't elegant, but it's strong enough for climbing so strong enough for my camera, as long as the knots are tied properly. I described it in an article on my website. If interested, see "Making a Custom Camera Neck Strap."
I used to rock climb too. The Black Rapid strap feels like a racking sling for hard ware. That's why I like it.
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
I wouldn't like that type of strap. I keep a tripod quick-connect plate attached to the bottom of both camera bodies for a start, ...
Kirk Enterprises : Kirk Security Strap

Thank you
Russell
05-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
I've really only used OpTek gel straps in the past...while they are pretty comfortable...has there been anything new to come out worth looking at in the past 2-3 years that I don't know about?
My favourite strap is no strap at all. I use heavy equipment. I have a battery pack on the K10d, and use heavier lenses (except for the 100/4 macro - the lightest lens in my standard kit!). I have recently purchased the Pentax hand strap and love it. I tested with the k10d + grip + 1.7X + 50-135 and was comfortable for over two hours while hiking. The hardest thing for me to get used to is putting my kerchief in my left pocket. It's kind of hard to get it out with my right hand complete with (see rig above).
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Closed Account

I've found this strap useful for when I'm using a tripod and don't want/need a strap. It's also wide and breathable and much more comfortable than the one that came with my K20D. The little memory card pouch also pictured is removable.