Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having trouble putting on a Pentax Hand Strap.

Yeah... I'm having trouble putting on the handstrap, I got the screw in part on, but having trouble attaching the neck strap part (the strap that's supposed to attach to the camera's right side neck strap loop) onto the camera ;/, can someone tell me the order in which the parts go... they seemed to have come off... (the two slider thingys and... a plate thing with 3 slots.)

05-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have confidence that you'll figure it out, because God knows how you can explain this kind of thing in writing.

In fact, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.
05-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I have confidence that you'll figure it out, because God knows how you can explain this kind of thing in writing.

In fact, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.
Sorry ;(, came with no instructions... and I think someone has been playing around with this and returned it. Yeah... I'll try my best!
05-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you post photos or links (or make)? Parts missing?

No experience with this but sometimes photos might clarify things

05-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Sorry ;(, came with no instructions... and I think someone has been playing around with this and returned it. Yeah... I'll try my best!
No. They come that way directly from Pentax. No instructions just a bunch of straps and leather bits.

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Yeah... I'm having trouble putting on the handstrap, I got the screw in part on, but having trouble attaching the neck strap part (the strap that's supposed to attach to the camera's right side neck strap loop) onto the camera ;/, can someone tell me the order in which the parts go... they seemed to have come off... (the two slider thingys and... a plate thing with 3 slots.)
1. The leather pad, with the strap passed through it, but undone at the right where it goes through the neck strap loop on the camera, the tripod mount at the left. Your nylon strap should go through the longest side of the pad.

2. Now you pass the nylon strap through the tripod mount, bottom to top. The end coming out of the leather should be nearest the camera when the rig is mounted.

3. This is how the nylon strap, rings and tab with D ring go together.
  • The strap comes from the tripod mount through both rings next to the leather end that protects your hand from the rings.
  • Slip the tab with the D ring onto the strap so that it is on the outside when you wrap the strap around the rings.
  • Wrap the strap around the outside ring and pass it toward the leather between the two rings.
  • Wrap the strap around the inside ring and put it through the D ring. This is where the strap binds against itself to stop the slipping.

To use the strap, pass your hand between the nylon strap and the leather pad. The rings will be on the back of your hand.

Tighten the strap by pulling the end of the strap toward the camera. Keep the tension and stick it to the Velcro.

Loosen the strap by removing the end from the Velcro on the leather, then pull the tab with the D ring toward the camera. This slackens the strap/leather hole that your hand is in.

After a few times, it proves quite easy to use.

Good luck!
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

WOW! I'm Sold!

No Pentax Hand Strap for me.

I am still tying granny knots.

Mickey
05-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
WOW! I'm Sold!

No Pentax Hand Strap for me.

I am still tying granny knots.

Mickey
Hi, Mickey. I should perhaps have quoted the questioner who couldn't figure out how it goes together. It's a few messages up in the thread.

05-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Albert,

"Hi, Mickey. I should perhaps have quoted the questioner who couldn't figure out how it goes together. It's a few messages up in the thread."

I saw his question. And then your carefully detailed answer.

I am hopeless. I still have a wonderous Op Tech Bino Cam horse harness hanging in my closet just waiting for me to try it once more so it can throttle me.

Mickey
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Albert,

"Hi, Mickey. I should perhaps have quoted the questioner who couldn't figure out how it goes together. It's a few messages up in the thread."

I saw his question. And then your carefully detailed answer.

I am hopeless. I still have a wonderous Op Tech Bino Cam horse harness hanging in my closet just waiting for me to try it once more so it can throttle me.

Mickey
Maybe you need an anal detail descriptor person to instruct you on using your harness?
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Save yourself the trouble:

http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Wrist-Strap-Black/

and my accompanying installation instructions:

Loop, pull.

And yes, it is great. Yesterday while I *ahem* adjusted my jeans up, this strap held the following:

GF1 Body

Sigma 400mm F5.6

and this attached to my aluminum amvona tripod (this swivel head is all metal, heavy!)

Last edited by pxpaulx; 05-10-2010 at 11:33 AM.
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Save yourself the trouble:

http://www.amazon.com/Op-Tech-Wrist-Strap-Black/

and my accompanying installation instructions:

Loop, pull.
It's not the same thing at all. A wrist strap does not keep the camera in position so that you can use it single handed. It only saves it from dropping.
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
A wrist strap does not keep the camera in position so that you can use it single handed. It only saves it from dropping.
Isn't that what your fingers are for? I've given these hand-grips a go before, all they do is lock your hand into an uncomfortable position, just offering up an alternative!
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Isn't that what your fingers are for? I've given these hand-grips a go before, all they do is lock your hand into an uncomfortable position, just offering up an alternative!
I have worn the Pentax strap for three hours with my K10d + D-BG2 + 1.7X + 50-135 without discomfort. At all times, my trigger finger was on the trigger, so to speak. My hand was in a comfortable position. Your mileage may vary.
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

"It's not the same thing at all. A wrist strap does not keep the camera in position so that you can use it single handed. It only saves it from dropping."
So does my simple neck strap.

"Maybe you need an anal detail descriptor person to instruct you on using your harness?"
Is that anything like a colonoscopy? I've had enough of that kind of photography, thank you.

I think my problem with knots and loops and stringy things is that I was never a Boy Scout.

Mickey
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks CanadianRockies! actually... the part that troubled me the most is... the part where it attaches to the right neck strap slot thing. I sorta get it now. It all got messed up and I didn't know how to put it back together. I think I got it now, thanks for the pictures.