Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tripod Recommendations?

do you have a tripod that you recommend? one that is not too expensive? under $50?

05-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proline. Can be found on Amazon.com
05-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
id like to add that i want want with a smooth pan and tilt as i will use it for video sometimes.
05-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #4

In selecting a tripod you are looking for stability and ease of use. Typically you get what you pay for and personally, I cannot think of ANY tripod in that price range that I would recommend to anyone. I can honestly tell you, though, anyone purchasing a sub $50 tripod will be in the market again in almost no time purchasing another that actually does what they were looking for the first time around. I would recommend looking at a used tripod with a good head, but again, you probably will not find one in the price range you are contemplating.

05-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
clarkebd

In the 'FIELD ACCESSORIES' section - there is a great 'Tripod - Review' sticky right at the top.

Tons of user reviews of all kinds. I'd start there first.
05-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mods: I suspect this thread belongs in Field Accessories ......
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #7

For 50 dollars and doing video, get a monopod. Any tripod-head combination under 100 dollars isn't going to be worth your time, and you'll only buy it again later. If you will only ever need a tripod for group shots or self portraits at decent shutter speeds, buy a cheap tripod and a decent monopod. If you intend to use the tripod for long exposures, or if you want to take pictures from a tripod while standing instead of kneeling, save up some cash for some manfrotto legs.

I went down this exact road when I first got into dSLRs, buying a slik sprint pro. Just a couple weeks ago I tried using the slik, because my manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 didn't fit in my duffel bag I wanted to use. I figured the slik would be okay, since I only needed a little help to stabilize shots at 1/4th to 1/15th of a second. It wasn't. I had to drive home to get the manfrotto. The only thing I would use my slik for now is my canon sd600 p&s (that I never use).

05-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's helpful to call out occasional video use, but you haven't provided any other kinds of requirements. How do you plan to use the thing? Indoors? Outside? Sports? Flowers? Closeups? Hiking? Around the yard?
Often, weight matters with tripods.
The only stuff worth buying under $100 are used Manfrotto workhorses like the B3021. Bombproof and you will grow with its capabilities. Check Craigslist or put a wanted up on the excellent Marketplace here.

M
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #9

Induro Adventure Series

You can try the Induro AP0, if you don't need too much height. I have the AP1, and it has pretty good quality aluminum legs, with most other parts made of some lightweight metal alloys, including parts on the pan-head. If you search "Induro apo" on ebay, you might be able to find good deals.
05-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Not to sound like a broken record, but...

Under $50 budget = waste of money. You'll end up buying something better because you won't be getting what you need from it, and it'll end up costing you MORE in the long run.

Best inexpensive (as opposed to cheap, which you don't want) tripod and head combination is the original style Tiltall with the three-way pan head (critical! - buy NOTHING with a TWO-way head).

TE01B Tiltall Tripod - Black (Max 70")
05-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
For 50 dollars and doing video, get a monopod. Any tripod-head combination under 100 dollars isn't going to be worth your time, and you'll only buy it again later. If you will only ever need a tripod for group shots or self portraits at decent shutter speeds, buy a cheap tripod and a decent monopod. If you intend to use the tripod for long exposures, or if you want to take pictures from a tripod while standing instead of kneeling, save up some cash for some manfrotto legs.

I went down this exact road when I first got into dSLRs, buying a slik sprint pro. Just a couple weeks ago I tried using the slik, because my manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 didn't fit in my duffel bag I wanted to use. I figured the slik would be okay, since I only needed a little help to stabilize shots at 1/4th to 1/15th of a second. It wasn't. I had to drive home to get the manfrotto. The only thing I would use my slik for now is my canon sd600 p&s (that I never use).
I do agree with Kirivon's view in the first paragraph.
The criteria in selecting a tripod - stability and ease of use.
And please bear in mind, "you pay peanuts, you get monkey", ie you get what you pay for. And for anything less than $50, IMO, I would not recommend any tripod in that price range to anyone as most cheap tripod will not withstand the load / usage/ test of time. Many a times, the people who bought a sub $50 tripod will be in the market again, looking for a new tripod to replace the old one.
My recommendation is to look for a good tripod (either new, if you have the budget or used) with a good head.
05-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Cheap gear is'nt alway the most economic solution on the long run, as this guy tries to prove:

Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #13

Depends on wath you want to do, but maybe bean bag will work if you *really* can't stretch your budget? You could even get that fancy Kirk OmniPod thingy
When it comes to tripods - anything cheaper than £300 or so (UK prices, of course) for legs+head is probably useless.
05-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Dolica 620 is pretty well reviewed, though it comes with a ball head. Any 3-way will be at least as much to add on.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ixian Quote
When it comes to tripods - anything cheaper than £300 or so (UK prices, of course) for legs+head is probably useless.
I disagree-- it depends on your requirements.

I need a tripod I can carry and fold small for checked baggage. It has to be light since allowances are going down by the day. No expensive heavy duty tripod makes the grade.

I spent £60 and got the SLIK Sprint PRO II with a 3-way head. It weighs under a kilogram, sets up quickly and provides decent support for at least 1.5kg. OK, it's not as well made as others and it simply cannot be as sturdy, but it fits a niche for a travel tripod and was worth every single penny. You can even reverse the centre column for ground-hugging macros.

Last edited by rparmar; 05-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.