Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

DSLR mounted on motorcycle question

hi, i have an old RAM GPS mount and i recently ordered a camera base plate which i plan on using with my DSLR. (part # RAM-B-149ZA-C1U is a good reference).
the camera will be mounted to the handlebars via this mount.

what i am concerned with is the beating my camera will inevitably take because of the motorcycle shaking while riding and idling (i have a buell with an HD motor so shake is inevitable) as well as shock from bumps traveling up to the handlebars.

i was thinking about adding some kind of padding to the mount but the bolt it has is fairly short so i am not sure if that will be possible. otherwise the entire assembly is very rigid so there aren't any other places where shock could be absorbed.

does anyone have experience with these mounts? is shock something i should be concerned about?

05-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shock is definitely something to think about. You may shake your beloved dSLR to bits on that Buell LOL!

Seriously, it's a challenge to keep a dSLR stable on a motorcycle. You'll likely want to zone focus with small apertures for good DOF and high shutter speeds to limit the effect of camera shake. SR will help, but only if you ride with your finger half-pressed on the shutter until the SR system is primed. And the mirror assembly and shutter of your camera aren't really designed for this type of application, so be forewarned.

I eventually ended up using a good, lightweight compact Ricoh GX100 for on-bike shots:

It's worked out pretty well:

In this application, the greater depth of field of small sensor compacts actually helps achieve usable shutter speeds.

Good luck
05-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
cool shots john! and a nifty rig on that mp3

so i got the adapter and went for a test ride with my old k100d and a good ol' 50mm MF lens.
most of the shots show way too much camera shake with only 1 "keeper" out of 20 or so.

i might switch to a P&S if i can find one with a remote shutter. in the meantime, i'll keep trying with the k100d since i really don't want to kill my k-7!
i am especially curious to see if i can get any neat shots with the 15mm lens.
05-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #4

Here's my k7 on my bike. just using one of those "Ebay Camera Mounts", the ones that screw into your petrol tank.

Its best if you mute the video. i talk WAY TOO MUCH!!!

But at least it gives you an idea of Vibration and viewing angle.

This is a Pentax K-7 @ 720P 30FPS with DA 12-24mm @ 12mm.

Hope this helps!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfuc1j8LoDI[/YT]