Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

SDHC durability?

For me, I think it will be more convenient to upload my photos by removing the SD card from the camera (Pentax K-x). I have a card reader with 1 button upload capability and I also have a laptop with a front load SD slot.

What I wonder about is durability, both for the SDHC card itself and also for the Pentax K-x. Will I possibly wear out the "depress/eject" functionality or the hinged door of the camera? Somehow I doubt if Pentax's testing includes MTBF testing for the seating of the flash memory.

05-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've experienced the plastic rails by the pins breaking on two of my cards, neither of which saw more than average use, at best. In addition, I've noted significant wear on the lock/unlock switch. I would strongly recommend being very gently with the card when inserting it into the pc/card reader to prevent damage. The multi-readers can easily break cards if you insert them incorrectly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
For what its worth, I accidentally put a Sandisk Extreme III through the washer and dryer and it came out unscaythed
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been told that SDHC cards do fail but I've yet to see it in 2 1/2 years. One of mine has come through the washer as well. Given all of that, I think Adam's remarks are words for the wise and I treat mine gently regardless. YMMV

05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDHC durability

Hi everyone,

QuoteQuote:
One of mine has come through the washer
havent tried that, but did drop one in a cup of coffee, worked fine
after, didnt load any faster though

After that "test" write lock disable/enable pin loosened up
and was able to chock itself in port of my k20, had to go through some
gyrations to remove it. card was destroyed in that adventure.
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moving this to the accessory section BTW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
I may have misnamed this original post as my question really centered around the durability of the K-x when opening and closing the door to the SD slot and the tension spring in the K-x that holds the SD card in. Sort of in the way I wonder about the durability of the compartment that contains the USB connection. That flap seems especially flimsy.
In light of this, Adam can you move this back to the camera section? I can live with destroying a SDHC, but not so much if the camera itself gets ruined. thx