Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
External Hard drive disappeared

I plugged my external hard drive in and loaded it up with 20 gig and now it's just gone! The computer cannot recognise it. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

05-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it's a USB, try rebooting the computer with the drive turned on.
Not that this should make a difference.
Also, simply unplug the drive and plug it into a different port, preferably one that is on the computer, not a USB hub.
Or, consider that the drive itself may have failed.
05-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

Test it on a different computer (it might be a port failure on yours).
Test it in a different enclosure (might also have a failure).

If this doesn't help, then you're mostly up that particular creek
05-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My 320GB SATA drive in external cabinet with USB interface with Windows XT Pro, needs coaxing -- I've found powering up the drive and letting it run for a few minutes before connecting to computer, then after power cycling the drive while connected to computer, sometimes several times, the computer recognizes the drive which thereafter runs fine no problems. ymmv.

If that doesn't help, next thing to try is open up the external drive cabinet and disconnect/reconnect all of the cables inside. Oxidation preventing operation, on connections carrying low-level signals, gets wiped away.

05-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's my photographic nightmare #1. I always keep copies on at least three different drives. But I just started so it's still manageable. I think everyone here will be rooting for you to save your data, and keeping notes on how you've managed to save it. Let's remain positive!

A few questions.

Not that I can help out much but maybe someone out there knows these newfangled things known as computers much better than I do...as long as they have a bunch of info.

1- Is it on a windows platform or on a Mac, maybe even a linux-based computer? which one?
2- your external drive, whats the type? USB, eSata, Firewire? Can you remove the drive from its enclosure? Is it just a key?

Any info you might have would be good. Otherwise everyone here will be blindly giving suggestions like a shot in the dark.

Good luck!

Flickeroo
05-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This isn't really the right forum for questions like this; in fact, it really isn't the right site, period, as it has nothing in particular to do with Pentax or photography in general. But I'm moving it to what seems the closest fit.
05-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this relates or not, but i've found thru losing a drive myself that these externally powered external hard drives are VERY sensitive to shock. I had one fall off a coffee table in a hotel room about 12" to a heavily carpeted floor and it was dead. Then I switched to a lightweight slim USB 2 powered laptop external drive (mine is called a Seagate GO drive), its much more durable and will survive that same fall without failing (dumb, i know :-)) They are slower but if you're carrying your laptop with you, much safer to take along. Leave the larger external drives at home in a location that they can't fall from :-(
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This isn't really the right forum for questions like this; in fact, it really isn't the right site, period, as it has nothing in particular to do with Pentax or photography in general. But I'm moving it to what seems the closest fit.
I do apologise for posting it in the wrong spot, but us photographers need our storage.

The drive connects through usb and this ended up being the problem. Dodgey port.

Anyway, thanks all for the replies.

05-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy to hear it Carl!
Glad you didn't lose anything.
05-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'll second the congratulations on your not having lost anything, but there's a lesson in this; if this is your only "backup", you're in a really tenuous position. You need to have multiple bites at your data. Drives and CDs/DVDs fail - burn yourself some multiple copies. I would be devastated if I lost my digital photos. (With film, you at least have the negatives, but if you've scanned and edited them, you will have lost all that time and have to start over).

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 05-17-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: I may actually learn how to spell (or at least type) my own name.
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

backups...

Consider having an off-site back-up as well. I keep one copy at my office....just in case.
05-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Consider having an off-site back-up as well. I keep one copy at my office....just in case.
+1

Best,
Kevin
05-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I have everything on DVDs at the moment and this is why I have purchased this drive. I do need to go and get a few hundred prints done also. You know, something to hold