Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Dimensions of focus screens

Hi, I been wanting to buy split screen focus screens, but ones from Katzeye and Focusingscreen are out of my budget and I would like to have better quality ones than the Chinese made ones.

Hence, I have decided to take the route of purchasing some Nikon K focus screens to take the DIY route.

I am very anxious about the whole process and am trying to get as much info as possible of the process.

As such, I was hoping to start a thread that would inform all who want to DIY the dimensions of various focus screens (K10D, K100D, K7) so as to cut down on at least one step of taking the original screen out and measuring it.

Thank you all in advance for all your info.

Peter

Last edited by pyiyha; 05-18-2010 at 11:10 AM.
05-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm nNot a bad idea, if we can get members to contribute! Wouldn't the focusing screens just be APS-C sized with a small tab to latch onto?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The Stock screen of my KX (L-90) without the tab is 26x17 mm and 1 mm thick.
Measurement aren't done with a caliber tough, hope it helps.
05-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pyiyha Quote
As such, I was hoping to start a thread that would inform all who want to DIY the dimensions of various focus screens (K10D, K100D, K7) so as to cut down on at least one step of taking the original screen out and measuring it.

Thank you all in advance for all your info.

Peter
I remember when quite a few people used to do this back in the film days. Interestingly enough, people prefer to buy them(ready made) now. Though etching seems to be the main reason behind this I think.

05-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
xjx
Forum Member

According to this post: Size of K100D focus screeen question, the size for K100D screen is 26.24mmx18.02mm. The same screen should fix K-x, too.
05-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xjx Quote
.......... The same screen should fix K-x, too.
Correct. KatzEye
05-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Using ruler only (no micrometer available):

The K10D LL-80 screen (and therefore the *ist D LL-60) are 25mm X 18mm X 1mm.

05-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #8

Hi, I been wanting to buy split screen focus screens, but ones from Katzeye and Focusingscreen are out of my budget and I would like to have better quality ones than the Chinese made ones.

Peter
For the record, before you spend $200 of your time, give the Chinese made ones a shot (if you haven't already). For under $20 shipped, it's not a bad alternative, and it works pretty well so far. -Just saying...
05-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
For the record, before you spend $200 of your time, give the Chinese made ones a shot (if you haven't already). For under $20 shipped, it's not a bad alternative, and it works pretty well so far. -Just saying...
I'm currently using (for the 2nd time) a Chinese screen - jinfinance - which is usable but certainly not completely satisfactory. This is because of the blackout above F5.6 and yes, you can (and I do) work around it, but I would prefer a solution that didn't need workarounds!

I only know that Katz-Eye with Optibrite, which I use on my Nikon, works very well and does not need workarounds. Just I don't like the price!
05-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I only know that Katz-Eye with Optibrite, which I use on my Nikon, works very well and does not need workarounds. Just I don't like the price!
To my knowledge Optibright doesn't address blackouts either(I once thought that too). If memory serves me right, the katzeye screens are cut from "nikon K3" material, which was designed specifically to reduce blackout. From my experience, I found katzeye screens start to black out at/or about f6.3 and over. And it gets pretty black at or around f/8.x and above. Which isn't too bad as I can usually move my eye level to get around the effect(top or bottom etc).

Having said that, the KPS eyecup/magnififier and katzeye, are items I could never see living without.
05-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

JohnBee (I just ran a quick test pointing out of my window) - I can only say that on my Katzeye equipped Nikon D80, with zero sun interference and in normal daylight there is almost no blackout - even at F32. On the K10D it blacks out - same lighting conditions - 50% at F5.6.
05-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
JohnBee (I just ran a quick test pointing out of my window) - I can only say that on my Katzeye equipped Nikon D80, with zero sun interference and in normal daylight there is almost no blackout - even at F32. On the K10D it blacks out - same lighting conditions - 50% at F5.6.
At the risk of sounding stupid, are you sure you D80 is manually stopping down?

TBH. I've never owned/installed a Katzeye on anything but Pentax bodies(DSLR's). However, I do recall using split screens on film camera's in the past. Though I honestly don't remember the black out phenomenon with those. I guess it's possible that the effect is linked to the viewfinder in some way... but I never would have thought that myself.

Also, 5.6 sounds about right(just looked)...
On the K200, it becomes apparent by f/8
On the K20, it almost seems as though its held off a bit longer(still in the 8 region though).

But camera's seem to be at their worst by f11
As odd as it may seem, it never really bothered me much. Since I usually top out around f/8 for most things other than landscape and some of my less popular tele's(f11). Both of which rarely rely on split prism focusing anyways.

Still... it would be awesomely good if someone could come up with a screen that didn't black out. But something tells me that live view is about to put this whole manual focusing business to rest once and for all real soon.
05-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
At the risk of sounding stupid, are you sure you D80 is manually stopping down?
Yes John, for this test I used an old AI lens (Nikkor 135/3.5) and manually went through F3.5 - F32.
07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hence, I have decided to take the route of purchasing some Nikon K focus screens to take the DIY route.
So how did it go ?
Always keen to hear about DIY !
Pete

about to attack ME screen with 100mm belt sander...