Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What polarizer do you use?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

For those of you using polarizers, which one do you use? I'm just looking for recommendations. I recently got my 16-50 and am looking to get a circular polarizer for it.

This is especially for those that have a circular polarizer on their 16-50 but other lenses are also useful.

05-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally I am using linear polarizers. I find them to be better at what they do, and optically better for any given dollar value.
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To avoid any conflicts with spoiled metering and such, I bought a Marumi DHG circular polarizer (77mm). Don't know if it's needed but the filter itself also is great which isn't a bad thing. Only drawback compared to a linear polarizer is of course cost (~ $85) and light loss - steals 1-1.5EV.

Thin (even useable on 10mm wideangle) and of high quality.
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Hi,

I use circular polarizers, but only because they are much more easier to find here in France ... A linear polarizer would do the job for me, since i use my K10D in MF mode even with my Limiteds ...

My current brands are B+W (52 and 58mm) and Marumi (49mm) ...

Cheers

05-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Generally I am using linear polarizers. I find them to be better at what they do, and optically better for any given dollar value.
Do you have any problems with AF or metering with linear polarizer? I am looking for one as well.
I have Marumi WPC but not entirely happy with it. Introduces magenta tint to images.

Thanks,
Marcin
05-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use a B&W slim circular polarizer with my 16-50 (Amazon.com: B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Slim Filter: Camera & Photo). This polarizer is quite expensive, but its slim profile can reduce vignetting at the wider angles. Can't stack additional filters to it, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the slim profile.

- Jason
05-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a couple on different lenses, including one on the Sigma 10-20. I have a Hoya Pro Slimline CPL on there, and there is minimal - if any - vignetting.

On my "walkabout lens" - the Tamron 18-250 - I have one of the new Hoya Pro Digital CPLs. It certainly wasn't cheap, but it seems to live up to their claims of allowing about an extra stop of light through. This is quite noticeable on a lens with a maximum aperture of f/4.5 wide open.

My older Hoya CPL that was on there caused about 2 stops of light loss, the new one causes about one stop loss. And it is very slim, crystal sharp optically, and cost almost $Aus200....!

05-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Marumi DHG CPL for my Sigma 10-20 (sold) and liked it enough that I then bought the same filter for my other lenses. Twice

The Marumi DHG CPL is a slim one that still has reeeally narrow front threads so you can mount a lens cap on it. No vignetting on the 10-20. Much less expensive than the B&W CPL but very well reviewed. Really good deal on them on Ebay (click). Less than 60.00 for a 77mm, less than 35.00 for a 49mm.
05-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #9

I have a 77mm Kenko Pro1d (same as Hoya) slim CPL. It is coated so it's much better with reflections then 2 other non-coated UV filters I have. But it's also a major PIA to clean compared to those 2.

I'm in the market for a new 67mm CPL now. I'd like to spend less this time around...
@Ecaterin - are those Marumi filters coated?
05-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have a 52mm Hoya Pro1 Digital series Circular Polarizer for my K-x kit lenses. Does its job well and no problems yet. I have read/heard that it is not recommended to buy the cheaper class PL filters get lots of internal reflections, flare and ghostings. In order to avoid these look for a bit more expensive series which are multi-coated against reflections. More expensive ones tend to hold better agaist scratches.
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
I have a 77mm Kenko Pro1d (same as Hoya) slim CPL. It is coated so it's much better with reflections then 2 other non-coated UV filters I have. But it's also a major PIA to clean compared to those 2.

I'm in the market for a new 67mm CPL now. I'd like to spend less this time around...
@Ecaterin - are those Marumi filters coated?
The bullet points on Amazon read:

# Low profile: Just 5mm high
# Multicoated (6 coatings) optical glass filter.
# Double threaded metal frame

Lenstip.com says:

Marumi products are valued by photographers on account of good price/quality ratio. Filters with DHG symbol are equipped with improved antireflection coatings and the glass edges are blackened to avoid internal reflections.

So looks like the answer is yes It definitely cut down on flaring on my 10-20.
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow thanks for all the opinions. I think I might save up for the B+W one. Thank you.
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcinski Quote
Do you have any problems with AF or metering with linear polarizer?
No and no. Pentax metering is done off the focusing screen on every camera except for the LX, so there is no beam splitter in the way, and hence no need for a circular polarizer from the POV of metering.
I've never found that polarizers lend themselves well to AF anyway, and I tend to manually focus when using a polarizer, but even at that, it would be a rare occasion indeed when an AF sensor would be blinded by cross polarization.
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a B+W 49mm MRC (multicoated) Circular Pol shared amongst my Ltds.

The B+W is higher cost than some other brands but shared across 4 lenses and being 1/2 the price of the larger one you need for the 16-50, it doesnt seem so much.
It was $20 more than the linear pol. version which in reality i could have used instead.

They are quite weighty due partly to brass ring construction, making it feel like the "K-7" of filters.
Previously (from filmd days) Ive only had a couple of HOYA aluminium ring filters and had problems with them binding. (probably my fault though).
05-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
gasp

I use a Nikon Circular Polarizer, 72mm. It's very slim and seems to be very good to me --- but as it's the only CPL I've ever used, I have no basis for comparison. If they made one in 77mm, I would buy it. (I wish I'd bought one in that size back when I got it, actually, but live and learn.)