Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Trekking solutions needed :)

Hello!
(I'm new here, dont be too harsh )

well, this july im going on a 4 day trek through the lake district in England, as part of my duke of edinburgh award. so i'll be wearing a 60 litre rucksack.

I recently bought a Pentax K-x (18-55 + 55-300mm) and I would love to take it with me.... won't take 55-300 to save weight. already carrying 16kg without the camera :P

the thing is i want it accessible!, i.e. i can whip it out in a couple of seconds and stow it in equal time.

my thoughts are some kind of top loader bag, of which i already have (lowepro TLZ mini) but i dont want it haning round my neck and the belt/waist fastenings tend to get in the way of my walking
second thought were some form of chest harness, but i dont think one will attach to a tlz mini, without serious modifications...

any suggestions people? thanks in advance

also, sorry for long post. go easy on the newbie :P

Nuts.

05-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you looking for a solution for when you're carrying the ruck, when you're not carrying the ruck, or both?

W/ruck- the TLZ should be able to connect to the ruck straps with small 'biners to a "D" ring. Small straps from holster bottom to bottom of ruck would stop any flopping.

W/no ruck- I have one of these to carry my top loader. Again, a strap can secure the bottom to keep flop to a minimum.

W/no ruck part deux- I just recently bought one of these. No field trials yet (hopefully the rain breaks and I can get out for a maiden voyage), but it's very stable. I have no fear that I can scramble anywhere that my knee will allow (including crawling on my hands and knees) without issue.

If you prefer a strap solution perhaps something like this might be more to your liking. This would be a with/without solution as well.

Lots of ways to go, just depends on how you want to get there. Oh... Enjoy the trip!
05-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

I would go with the R-strap or something similar. That style of strap goes over your shoulder and hangs at your waist. I will bet that you will find that you will want to vary the way that you carry your camera and some type of long strap would help with this.

One of the Lowepro top loader bags with a rain cover would also be nice but it always seems to be a pain to get the camera in and out when carrying it a bag.

I think you are doing the right thing leaving the 55-300mm at home, the 18-55mm is a great trip lens. I might suggest one piece of kit, that is a small tripod like the gorilla pod. It only weighs 6 ounces and there might be a time when you wish you could do a longer exposure or use the self timer to take a group picture.

Please just don't do what I did when I went on an extended backpacking trip many years ago. I kept my K1000 over the top of my pack and when I got back home it was ruined, all of the bouncing around had jarred the screws loose and dislodged the viewfinder.

Sorry for the long reply, hope you have a great trek and good luck on your DofE award.
05-29-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
rkt

ok... first a disclaimer... the blog linked below is "N" specific... but good information is good information... and I think you can find a lot of take-aways from this article ... and apply it to your Pentax gear ...

Take a Hike with a Digital Camera by Thom Hogan

05-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Are you looking for a solution for when you're carrying the ruck, when you're not carrying the ruck, or both?

W/ruck- the TLZ should be able to connect to the ruck straps with small 'biners to a "D" ring. Small straps from holster bottom to bottom of ruck would stop any flopping.
:
mostly for carrying with the rucksack (this one if its any help)

did u mean attaching directly to the shoulder straps or to the hip/waist strap?

also, thanks for speedy replies!
05-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually carry my camera around my neck but that does get tiring. I've been checking out this setup from Cotton Carrier. Home I'm not sure how comfortable this would be at the end of the day with 2 sets of straps over the shoulder. If their holster carrier can be used as a main carrier with a standard backpack, it would make a nice solution also with the camera handy and ready. A standard fanny pack that straps around the waist is another way to carry the camera along with a backpack and you can turn it to the front to keep the camera handy.
05-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For a dslr and 1 lens, i'd go with this. It has a wide belt loop on the back to run a strap thru and connect to your pack shoulder straps across your chest. easy in and out.

Case Logic SLR Zoom Camera Holster > Photo and Video > Case Logic

05-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beer_nuts Quote
mostly for carrying with the rucksack (this one if its any help)

did u mean attaching directly to the shoulder straps or to the hip/waist strap?

also, thanks for speedy replies!
Yes, directly to the ruck shoulder straps. Put your ruck on. Hold the TLZ on your chest where you want it to ride. The TLZ has D rings to connect the strap, right? Use a short bit of strap on each side to hang the TLZ from the ruck shoulder straps. Use velcro or affix a D ring to the shoulder strap somehow and connect that way. There appears to be a bit of strap end that could easily be run through a D ring and sewn to connect to.

If you wanted to you could use a quick connect buckle on each side and alternate the buckles (male one side, female the other) so you had a carry handle on the TLZ if you wanted.

Many ways to skin this cat, only your imagination will limit you.
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
For a dslr and 1 lens, i'd go with this. It has a wide belt loop on the back to run a strap thru and connect to your pack shoulder straps across your chest. easy in and out.

Case Logic SLR Zoom Camera Holster > Photo and Video > Case Logic
At $19.99 for Memorial Day, you can't go wrong!
05-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
i found that running the rucksack chest strap through the belt loop on the back of the tlz worked, but it was a but bouncey.

also tried a strap (the shoulder strap of the camera bag) thru the synthetic straps the run over the padded shoulder straps, it worked quite well and was fairly stabe, although i have to thread my head through the get the rucksack on which is somewhat tricky with 17 kgs :P....

i'll try a velcro strap and get back to you...

thnx for the tips.
05-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Cheap but effective

I first posted this last May, 2009.
It is neither elegant nor refined , but it does the job and is cheap and is very simple to use.

Carrying K100D on a Bicycle and trekking.
I have tried various items for carrying my K100D when bicycling. None were satisfactory.

A handlebar bag had me concerned about vibration on bumpy terrain as did a bag on the rear carrier.

The Op/Tech Camera/Binocular harness was difficult to adjust, awkward to put on, uncomfortable and allowed the camera to hang free and bounce against my chest.
Other devices have components that rest against the chest or back and can be uncomfortably hot and sweaty.

Sometimes the simplest device is the best.

This photo shows my camera hanging around my neck on its usual Op/Tech neck strap adjusted to my preferred working length.
It may be shifted from side to side, higher or lower as one wishes.
It is secured to my body by an inexpensive elasticized belt.
The belt is fully adjustable and quite comfortable and does not produce torrents of sweat in warm weather.
The belt holds the camera securely against my body even when using drop handlebars.
When the camera is in use the belt is not even felt around my chest.
I prefer to put the belt around the camera lens to keep out of the way and prevent it from banging against anything when I am not on my bike. Occasionally I may place the belt across the bottom front of the camera. It will also hold the camera vertically.
On long walks the belt can be used to relieve the weight of the camera on the neck.
When I put on the belt I slide the buckle around to my side so it cannot mar the camera.
The camera may be inserted or removed without opening or further adjusting the belt.
In an emergency the belt can keep my pants up.

The camera in the picture is a Canon T90 with a Sigma 70 to 210 mm lens. It is substantially heavier than my K100D.

The belt came gratis with a pair of slacks but I have seen some for under $5.00 CAN in mens' wear stores.
The frown is the result of trying to get a reasonably framed picture shooting with my K100D down at my hips. It took 8 tries.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 05-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.
05-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
hi mickey,

nice simple solution there.. but the i'm afraid the camera needs to be protected from the elements (it rains a lot in the lake district, it is england after all) and from potential minor bumps, so a padded case is necessary, thank you for your input nonetheless
05-31-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might have to think about a new bag. The one you have now is water-resistant according to the information I googled and chances are the bag will get really wet on a rainy day. A waterproof bag with or without a cover and a chest harness is my preferred solution when I 'am on a trek with a heavy backpack. A bag that's waterproof on itself and without a cover to give it that functionality is even better when you have to cross substantial streams en rivers.

I' ve got some pictures of my set-up (taken with my phone) over here: PentaxForums.com - Fries's Albums
05-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #14

Original Poster
if i had a chest harness, rather than attaching the case to my rucksack straps, i could just tuck the case (with camera inside) under my waterproof jacket.....its not a snug jacket, i the camera fits under neath comfortably.....
05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beer_nuts Quote
if i had a chest harness, rather than attaching the case to my rucksack straps, i could just tuck the case (with camera inside) under my waterproof jacket.....its not a snug jacket, i the camera fits under neath comfortably.....
That should work to. Whatever you choose; have a nice and save trip!