Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Best geotagging device on the market now.

Hey!

It's time for me to invest in a geotagging device. I'm gonna buy my self a new iMac once it's been updated and I'm gonna start organizing my photos in Aperture 3 using "places". As Pentax never released any GPS device for autotagging into the metadata, I'll just have to buy one now before I'm going travelling this summer. I shoot in DNG(sounds like a dolce and gabbana abbrevation when saying it) by the way.

I need:
- Mac-compatible
- LONG battery time, I wanna be able to have it turned on for a whole day and still have power left. And I want rechargeable batteries.

Which device (price is irrelevant) is the best based on my demands and preferences?

I also think that I heard about a logging device with integrated memory and an SD card slot that would automatically input coordinates in the metadata if you put your SD card from your camera in the device? Anobody knows about this?

05-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have not used this device but have seen it reviewed recently and it seems to meet your specifications.

GiSTEQ Corp. PhotoTrackr Mini DPL900 - Photo Geotagging Device

It is MAC supported, 17 hours of battery time, rechargeable through USB.
05-31-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like this one?

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
Hey!

Which device (price is irrelevant) is the best based on my demands and preferences?

I also think that I heard about a logging device with integrated memory and an SD card slot that would automatically input coordinates in the metadata if you put your SD card from your camera in the device? Anobody knows about this?

GPS-CS3KA | GPS Image Tracker | Sony | Sony Style USA

I dont have it, ive never used or even seen one. I found the links while looking for an exif editor for geotagging.

edit: It takes SD cards or Mem Stick but as its a Sony not sure if software interface is compatible with i-Thingys.

Last edited by steve1307; 05-31-2010 at 04:26 AM.
06-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would reccommend an MTK2-based unit. Semsons.com carries quite a few of them.

I have an i-Blue 747A+ - i-Blue 747A+ Bluetooth GPS Data Logger Receiver (AGPS, Auto On/Off, 66 ch MTK v2, WAAS, Bluetooth, USB, Push to Log, 125,000 Waypoints) - GPS Data Logger

Highly sensitive and accurate, you can even stick it in your pocket, but you'll get significantly improved accuracy if you velcro it to the top of your backpack like I do.

The included software is Windows-only, however there's a quite robust Java application (BT747) that can interface with it and works in Windows, Linux, and I assume MacOS. (I can't check the information from my current location.)

06-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming that Aperture 3 using "places" can read any GFX file (GPS FIle eXchange), why not just purchase a GPS that has Mac compatibie software and export your track log from the GPS to the mack.

THere are, for the PC at least, many many freeware packages that can edit the EXIF data to link the photos to the GPS data in EXIF.

I would look for one of these as opposed to a device that modified your camera files directly on the card, for me, it is much safer from a data preservation point of view.

I use GeoSetter, with the GFX file from my garmin gps directly or exported from garmin's MapSource program.
06-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use GeoSetter...
+1 for geosetter.

I bought a delorme pn-20 last summer, with the included program it is easy to extract the gpx (or gfx?) file, and use it along with geosetter to tag the exif data with location coordinates. I am not very diligent with doing it on a regular basis, but it works well and is an easy post-process.

bought the delorme pn-20 for $150 last year from amazon; it was a good deal at that price, looks like its going for $103 now which is a downright steal. Especially considering the track log only units run at minimum $60-80 on their own and well, don't do a whole lot!
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

Haven't used it but there is a freeware program for mac, linux, and windows that add's GPS data to your images and appears to do so for raw files too.

gpicsync - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'll probably try this out some day recording my gps coordinates with my phone, exporting, and embedding them with gpicsync before importing into aperture.

looks like there's a plugin for aperture that will take gps data and apply it to pictures too.

Last edited by chrish; 06-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrish Quote
Haven't used it but there is a freeware program for mac, linux, and windows that add's GPS data to your images and appears to do so for raw files too.

gpicsync - Project Hosting on Google Code

I'll probably try this out some day recording my gps coordinates with my phone, exporting, and embedding them with gpicsync before importing into aperture.
That actually looks pretty good and probably an easy program to use (I am guessing this is some type of google beta program?).

I did find geosetter to be alittle slow back when I used my laptop, and never used it with raw files so don't know if that works - which that google code program does. I haven't tried tagging with my new desktop which should work much better than the laptop, maybe I will have to give this a go on the weekend and try out that google program. thanks for that link!
06-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That actually looks pretty good and probably an easy program to use (I am guessing this is some type of google beta program?).

I did find geosetter to be alittle slow back when I used my laptop, and never used it with raw files so don't know if that works - which that google code program does. I haven't tried tagging with my new desktop which should work much better than the laptop, maybe I will have to give this a go on the weekend and try out that google program. thanks for that link!
I think google code is something like sourceforge. From what I can tell, it allows people a place to host open source software projects.
06-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've just ordered one of those GiSTECH Phototrackr Minis, with the travel kit. Looks like it will do everything I need, and it's certainly not expensive.

My only question, which I will find out when I get it, is if it can handle the output of more than one camera (assuming that I don't have two photos taken at exactly the same time on two cameras). The device works by syncing the times in the EXIF data with the tracking points in its log, so I can't see that multiple cameras would be a problem, with the proviso mentioned.

And even if two photos WERE shot at the same time on two cameras (eg self and wife) then theoretically the system should still assign the GPS data according to the times - as long as we were both in the same place....

I'll let you know how well it works etc once I have it and have tried it out.
06-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
I need:
- Mac-compatible
- LONG battery time, I wanna be able to have it turned on for a whole day and still have power left. And I want rechargeable batteries.
Try an iphone with a GPS app. That should be pretty compatible.

Thank you
Russell
06-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Russell - how would you get the GPS data from the iPhone to the photos from your camera(s)? The PhotoTrackr Mini that I've ordered uses time sync and EXIF data, via the software (Mac in my case). Works directly with the JPGs, and for an extra $25, can upgrade to the Pro version software, which, among several extras, allows it to work with a whole range of RAW files including the Pentax ones (I use DNG).

Not sure how you'd marry up the GPS data from an iPhone to the photos from a Pentax camera.... unless you're talking about using just the photos taken with the iPhone on its 2 or 3 megapixel camera?
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Russell - how would you get the GPS data from the iPhone to the photos from your camera(s)?
Lots of software for merging gps tracks into RAW or JPG EXIF data in the files; Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Jeffrey’s “GPS-Support” Geoencoding Plugin for Lightroom, Early Innovations | GPSPhotoLinker Overview, http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/, http://www.apple.com/aperture/whats-new.html#places, ... How you get the gps tracks off the iphone will depend on the gps logging/tracking app you use on the iphone, but most will probably just sync the data files to your computer and you can then use one of the desktop apps above to merge the gps information into the EXIF data. I don't use an iphone or a MAC, but I am currently doing this with a Droid and Windows/Linux. The only issue is if your iphone app can't export the gps log to a file format that can be used by whatever tool you decide to use to merge the tracks in the photo files. There are, of coarse, other tools to translate the files, GPSBabel being the one I know of.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-05-2010 at 08:20 PM.
06-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I've just ordered one of those GiSTECH Phototrackr Minis, with the travel kit. Looks like it will do everything I need, and it's certainly not expensive.
I will be anxious to hear how well it works, I hadn't thought much using GPS but the more I think about it, the more useful I think it might be.
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My only question, which I will find out when I get it, is if it can handle the output of more than one camera (assuming that I don't have two photos taken at exactly the same time on two cameras). The device works by syncing the times in the EXIF data with the tracking points in its log, so I can't see that multiple cameras would be a problem, with the proviso mentioned.

And even if two photos WERE shot at the same time on two cameras (eg self and wife) then theoretically the system should still assign the GPS data according to the times - as long as we were both in the same place....

I'll let you know how well it works etc once I have it and have tried it out.
I can't see any reason why multiple cameras would be a problem. Worst case, pull the log using the included software and save it to a standard format (like GPX) and correlate that with other software. Plenty of options already discussed.

One negative I see - It uses a "Skytraq" chipset which is unknown in terms of performance and sensitivity. (GPSPassion.com might have some comparisons of that chipset against MTK2 and SiRF III based receivers though.) It also means that you will need to use whatever included software there is for pulling logs, whereas MTK2-based units have open source cross-platform software for pulling logs.