Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shutter button - where to find one?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

While K10D is at Pentax for free warranty cleaning, I've been using K100D, and more I used this little camera, the more I find it ever so useful for just about any situation. While I bough this body as a backup, I think I would mount the macro lens onto it, leave it there and use it mostly for macro photography. I do however feel that it really needs a grip (so as many of you)

Ok, so I may be out of my mind, but I want to attempt to make a grip (see if I still have any skills left from the days of high-end custom car audio fabrications). I kinda have a plan for making the actual grip, but - I need the "stand alone" shutter release button to have it mounted into the grip, so it appears and functions as any factory shutter release button on the factory or aftermarket grip.

I know there are tons of remote controls on ebay with dual stage shutter release in one button, and are cheap, I could potentially buy one, take it apart and make the button work on the possible future grip, BUT - non of those are round buttons, and will be real hassle to fit into the grip.

So where in the world can I find one of those dual stage buttons? Needs to be round, needs to be for surface mounting... Is there specific name for this type of button (such as dual pole macro switch or what have you)? I tried online, but results are blahhhh, probably because I'm not using correct term for this thing.

Possibly getting one from an old non-working camera?

This is really the only thing that stopping me from attempting to make the grip, I want it at least to be functional with the shutter...

Any suggestions where I can find such thing is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
D

08-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I know very little on the topic myself, but I would look at the local electronic parts store. I figure the shutter button can only be a 2 level switch. Worth a look.

I seem to recall seeing someone else make a grip for their k100D. After a little searching, I found it on PentaxLife.

Accessories | PentaxLife

Maybe looking at this thing or looking deeper might help in the electronics part. It looks like he just used a cable release.
08-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for a good morning smile! If anything - it's rather "creative"

That button - I know, sounds simple, two stage button, but I searched web under different terms for 2 hours last night - nothing The only local store we have is Radioshack, will give them a try today...

Regards,
D
08-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Yeah, and ugly to boot lol. Not sure what he used, but it sure isn’t perty.

08-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
(snip) Ok, so I may be out of my mind, but I want to attempt to make a grip (snip) So where in the world can I find one of those dual stage buttons?

Your best bet would be to scrounge one off a used grip or camera purchased real cheaply on ebay or someplace like that. It doesn't have to be a Pentax product, just a grip or camera with a button like you're seeking. If you look around, it's not hard to find non-working cameras and accessories being sold on ebay for next to nothing to those seeking spare parts or whatever.

stewart
08-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I was thinking too, will keep an eye on the auctions for few days, see what comes up... Have another idea as a last resort, but I'll wait for now...

Stopped by Radioshack - they have no clue what I'm talking about! Looked through every drawer they had - nothing (not surprisingly)

Regards,
D
08-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i made one and it's really easy. i also just bought for $11 one of these. search ebay, there are some cheaper. the build quality of this one will make me carry my DIY for sure.

JJC Remote Switch for PENTAX K10D K100D K110D CS-205 - (item 140144444971 end time Aug-09-07 20:01:47 PDT)

08-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, saw that one and many others on ebay - not exactly what I'm looking for... In the ideal world, I need a stand alone round or smooth oval shape button to place in on the edge of the "future" grip, kinda like this one:

http://makeall.co.kr/bbs/data/photo_1/007.jpg

Regards,
D
08-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I am doing some digging for you and found this article on the Canon 20D switch and how to replace it.

I would imagine all shutter buttons operate on the same basic principles. If you take a look under MATERIALS, it tells you what the part is called and how much it may cost you.

Might be this is what your sort of looking for. Likewise, you could call Pentax and ask them how much it is to replace a shutter button.

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/20D_Shutter_Release.pdf
08-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

dual contact or acting momentary switches used on cameras are custom design and manufactured. Unfortunately, the world of electronic switches is immense because every one is never quite right.

You may have some luck investigating electronics parts suppliers like Keystone or Concord, but I highly doubt it.