Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Dot Line PTTL Cord

Anyone know if the Dot Line PTTL cord is true PTTL?

Dot Line | HD PTTL Off-Camera TTL Shoe Cord | RS-0447 | B&H

I cannot find any information on it, but the description leads me to beleive that it may not be truly PTTL...

Any help would be appreciated.

Seaain

06-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think all it means is that it's compatible with the modern PTTL flashes. It's just an extension cord, after all...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered one at the local camera store. I am picking it up Friday am. I'll let you know how it works.
06-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I ordered one at the local camera store. I am picking it up Friday am. I'll let you know how it works.
Many thanks!

06-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I can pretty much guarantee that is is. All it needs is the correct contacts and the image shows that it does.
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can pretty much guarantee that is is. All it needs is the correct contacts and the image shows that it does.
Hrm, now that you guys mention it, I never noticed the contacts seem to be the exact same.
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one and it works fine.

06-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I have one and it works fine.
Thanks you all very much for the input.

I realize it is just an extension cord, but I did read some reviews or comments that seemed to indicate that it did not work well with Sigma flashes and another fellow who could not achieve P-TTL operation with it. That was all I found. It did not seem too promising.

Thanks for the help.

Seaain
06-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

does not work! :mad:

This cord does not work. It has the right pins in the right locations, they have continuity thru the cable with no shorts. It has no locking pin so in may not line up right.

Symptoms: Auto zoom does not work all the time. The red focus light flashes continuously. The flash photo is always over exposed. The speed and ap values on the flash are wrong. The K20 and K10 do not recognize the flash.

I don't know if I am going to return or exchange it. Maybe I should get the adorama brand.
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote

This cord does not work. It has the right pins in the right locations, they have continuity thru the cable with no shorts. It has no locking pin so in may not line up right.

Symptoms: Auto zoom does not work all the time. The red focus light flashes continuously. The flash photo is always over exposed. The speed and ap values on the flash are wrong. The K20 and K10 do not recognize the flash.

I don't know if I am going to return or exchange it. Maybe I should get the adorama brand.
This is what I was afraid of. Thanks very much for following up. This is very consistent with the material I saw elsewhere for non-Pentax. Thanks.

Seaain

woof
06-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use the Promaster Off Camera TTL cord on my K20D. I works just fine.

I think the Promaster and Dot Line cords are exactly the same cord from the same Mfr. So, it should work just fine.
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
I use the Promaster Off Camera TTL cord on my K20D. I works just fine.

I think the Promaster and Dot Line cords are exactly the same cord from the same Mfr. So, it should work just fine.
I also have the Promaster, and have used it a DS, K100DS, K10, K20, and K-7 without problems. It's very robust, much more durable seeming than my Pentax "FG, 5P, F remote" setup.

I would also agree with Ed that this is probably the same cord, just rebranded.

Scott
06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
FWIW, I ordered the "house" brand, and it was not in stock. In the interim I found that it was simply a different version of a Dot Line cord anyway. Looks like a lighter cord and a swivel head at the flash end.

Because it was not in stock, they shipped the original Dot Line that I had pictured in my original thread.

The cord seems to work fine on my K-x. All P-TTL functions seem to be present, and the zoom works fine. Exposure is actually darned good with P-TTL.

I do not seem to get the zoom functionality on my K10D and exposure seems less... consistent. I have to play with it some more, but I am not convinced that it is working on the K10D.

woof!
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Forum Member

Along the same lines of this thread (so not completely off topic), does anyone know if this product ever made it into the wild? Fotóbarkács Pentax Rendszervaku Kábel

I'm about to make my own version of this with ethernet cables, but this looked nice and slick. Pity the page says they are not made anymore.
06-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
FWIW, I ordered the "house" brand, and it was not in stock. In the interim I found that it was simply a different version of a Dot Line cord anyway. Looks like a lighter cord and a swivel head at the flash end.

Because it was not in stock, they shipped the original Dot Line that I had pictured in my original thread.

The cord seems to work fine on my K-x. All P-TTL functions seem to be present, and the zoom works fine. Exposure is actually darned good with P-TTL.

I do not seem to get the zoom functionality on my K10D and exposure seems less... consistent. I have to play with it some more, but I am not convinced that it is working on the K10D.

woof!
My guess is that it's not an electronic incompatibility, but a slight difference in physical connector dimensions.

I know one of the Vivitar P-TTL flashes gets utterly slammed for having an unreliable connection at the foot.