Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What bag models compete with the Lowepro Fastpack?

as in title.

06-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kata 3in1 family - Kata Navigator

So do their 123 family - can't see much difference.
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Tamrac Areo 85
All models of the Kata 3n1
Clik Elite Compact Sport series
M-Rock 674, 675, and 676

I'll thrown in the Think Tank Rotation, but there might be some arguement over it.

Thank you
Russell
06-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Vanguard Up-rise 45, 46, 48 - with side access (43 is a single strap sling)

If you dont specifically need "quuck draw side access" then...

Kata dr 465, 466, 467 - cheaper and less 'boxy' than the 3N1
Lowepro Flipside - rear access (against your back)
Lowepro Versapack

I looked at the Tamrac Aero 85 - I dont like the weatherproof zippers, very difficult to open (when new at least)

06-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Get the actual (non camera) backpack you want. Select it not thinking about photography, but about comfort while hiking. think about rain resistance, back ventilation, space for a hydration pouch, side pockets, a place where you could strap your tripod, and so forth.

THEN... go get yourself a camera bag insert. And stop worrying. This will be LESS expensive than a dedicated camera hiking bag, it will be better fitted to you, and you will thus enjoy it more.

For my part, I went with a 35$ Domke SLR insert. It holds my K20D with walkaround lens attached, plus one tele lens, a flash, two small primes and accessories.

Have fun.
06-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Get the actual (non camera) backpack you want. Select it not thinking about photography, but about comfort while hiking. think about rain resistance, back ventilation, space for a hydration pouch, side pockets, a place where you could strap your tripod, and so forth.

THEN... go get yourself a camera bag insert. And stop worrying. This will be LESS expensive than a dedicated camera hiking bag, it will be better fitted to you, and you will thus enjoy it more.

For my part, I went with a 35$ Domke SLR insert. It holds my K20D with walkaround lens attached, plus one tele lens, a flash, two small primes and accessories.

Have fun.
In a similar line there is this insert which looks interesting if you like orange.
FOSSOUX F2 Partition padded bag SLR DSLR camera insert - eBay (item 270528101588 end time Jul-07-10 20:10:39 PDT)

Three sizes F2, RF, LC are available all $23-$25. This one I believe is also padded on the bottom. Oddly the more expensive Domke insert is nicely finished and padded on all the sides but not on the base??
The same seller has some other black coloured inserts of another brand if you like feeling around in the darkness at the bottom looking for your lens cap.
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
In a similar line there is this insert which looks interesting if you like orange.
FOSSOUX F2 Partition padded bag SLR DSLR camera insert - eBay (item 270528101588 end time Jul-07-10 20:10:39 PDT)

Three sizes F2, RF, LC are available all $23-$25. This one I believe is also padded on the bottom. Oddly the more expensive Domke insert is nicely finished and padded on all the sides but not on the base??
The same seller has some other black coloured inserts of another brand if you like feeling around in the darkness at the bottom looking for your lens cap.
I have this orange insert (got the bigger one). I've got some back issues so even my day-pack is an internal frame 32 litre backpack to keep every bit of pressure off the shoulder straps. As much as I'd like a specialized camera backpack, I couldn't use one even if I could afford one :P So this insert in the bottom of my frame pack works perfectly!

The panels are completely adjustable, the padding is pretty good (I've got a sheet of big-bubble bubble wrap layered in the bottom since I tend to set my bag down abruptly). And, best of all it's 3 camera bags in one: I can take the insert out and drop it into a messenger bag when I'm going super light weight carrying only the camera + daily purse stuff, OR if I'm going biking I can put the insert into my carefully constructed camera bungie suspension bag that hangs on my bike

It's not the ideal solution, but it's a pretty workable one that's very cheap and flexible
06-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Oddly the more expensive Domke insert is nicely finished and padded on all the sides but not on the base??
Indeed, the Domke is not padded at the bottom. for me it's a minor flaw since I just used foam I had lying around, cut it to fit, and placed it at the bottom of the insert. The sewing of the Domke is impressive. I have purchased inserts from eBay before, and the sewing always came off after a short time. Domke inserts seem better made.

I'm really happy with this solution however. I did the same for my messenger bag configuration. Pick a good bag, pick an insert, and start packing!