Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another "tripod" thread...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Okay, I'm in the market for a tripod. Eventually I'll get a "nice" one (like spending over $200), but currently my money is going towards new lenses. So, basically I need something that will offer best bang-for-buck and will allow me to analyze my specific tripod needs, that way when I do get a nice tripod it will match exactly what I need it for. So...

I need something that:

1. does macro
2. will hold my K7 and the DA* 50-130mm
3. easy to carry (in other words, not a beast that weights 10lbs!)
4. is under $90

To you guys who know, is there anything that even comes close to my specs considering the price? Obviously, I don't expect it to be perfect, but I don't want to end up with something that won't even hold my camera, or that falls over and busts my equipment!

I've looked at the Proline $40 one on Amazon, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's the best.

Let me know your thoughts...

06-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First thing first, you are going to have to give up weight savings at that price. The 50-135 is a rather heavy lens and without a tripod collar the camera/lens sits quite far from the camera in terms of its' center of gravity.

With that said, the $40 proline should suffice without breaking the bank (as long as you know it is a stop-gap for now - you can always use it for an off-camera flash later on); I would be extra careful that it is steadied when doing macro work with the camera/lens extended from the tripod's center.
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
First thing first, you are going to have to give up weight savings at that price. The 50-135 is a rather heavy lens and without a tripod collar the camera/lens sits quite far from the camera in terms of its' center of gravity.

With that said, the $40 proline should suffice without breaking the bank (as long as you know it is a stop-gap for now - you can always use it for an off-camera flash later on); I would be extra careful that it is steadied when doing macro work with the camera/lens extended from the tripod's center.
Ha! I wondered about that... Well, I don't own the 50-135mm quite yet. But that's okay I guess because mostly the tripod is going to be used for macro and also with my DA* 16-50mm (or will the proline even hold that?). Oh and BTW, would the K7 grip change anything?
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/97917-sale-sl...pod-conus.html

06-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This looks very much like an overall great tripod for the money.

Amazon.com: Davis & Sanford VOYAGERLTB Vista Voyager Lite Tripod with BHQ8 Ball…

Reviews:

Davis & Sanford VOYAGERLTB Voyager Lite with BHQ8 Ball Head in Camera Tripods at JR.com
Davis & Sanford VOYAGERLTB Vista Voyager Lite 63 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The Voyager Lite carries the Davis & Sanford 10-year warranty and is available through the Tiffen worldwide dealer network. See press release: D&S Voyager Lite Press Release

Hope this helps.

woof!
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
woof: Interesting. I'll look into this particular tripod further... I like that it gets so close to the ground. Thanks for posting it!
06-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
(or will the proline even hold that?).
Specs rate it for 13 lbs or so.

06-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Specs rate it for 13 lbs or so.
Yes, but do the specs really hold weight in real life shooting conditions??? I highly doubt that tripod would hold (especially on a vertical shot) with 13 lbs on the top of it. Actually, that may be fun to see!
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just remember those cheap heads won't adjust unless you loosen them fully. Not like a good clam head.
Maybe you could buy it for now and save for a better head.
Good Luck