Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which 3n1 do I need?

Okay so I desperately need a bag for my camera + gear... Here's my list of gear:

K7
DA* 16-50mm
D FA 100mm Macro
plus all the little accessories

And I'll have this added in shortly:
DA* 50-135mm
AF540FGZ Flash unit
Battery Grip

So, my question is... will all of this work in a Kata 3n1-10??? Or do I need the 20? I want to keep things as small as possible, yet not so crammed that I have to take hoods off, etc.

06-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Okay so I desperately need a bag for my camera + gear... Here's my list of gear:

K7
DA* 16-50mm
D FA 100mm Macro
plus all the little accessories

And I'll have this added in shortly:
DA* 50-135mm
AF540FGZ Flash unit
Battery Grip

So, my question is... will all of this work in a Kata 3n1-10??? Or do I need the 20? I want to keep things as small as possible, yet not so crammed that I have to take hoods off, etc.
You should always take the hoods off when stowing the lens or camera plus lens in the bag. They are all designed to go on backwards for storage, and this is how it should be done.

Also consider that you kit is bound to grow, at least with the addition of an ultra wide, and perhaps a 300F4 or something just as big physically if you want more reach.

Just something to think about
06-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the 3n1-30 listed in the for sale section here. It is really backpack sized. It is wide enough to take the K20 with the 50-135mm with the hood extended - which was my primary determining factor between it and the 3n1-20 - what would the point be of getting a quick access sling bag if you have to remove and reverse the hood every time you pull the camera out and put it back for a quick shot? The camera goes in from the side so there is not a possibility of putting any weight onto the hood (which is what I think Lowell was alluding to with the comment about always storing hoods backwards).

Anyway, shameless advertising aside I have gone back to a backpack as I prefer to have my camera either stowed or out for long periods and the sling didn't suit that style. The 3n1-30 is also wide enough to take a netbook up top, which is what I use for file storage when travelling, or a jacket/daily items. PM me if you have any other questions!
06-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a 3n1-20.

I don't have any of the listed lenses, but I can say this (which may or may not be helpful):

My K20D will fit in sideways (like pxpaulx has it set up) with a Sigma 24-60 attached, plus hood. I think you can also set up the bag so your camera drops in the top with the lens facing down through the bottom of the top compartment, and this way it should accommodate much longer lenses. But you'll lose the use of the top compartment for anything else, and the snoot of your lens will take up a significant portion of the main body of the bag, too. Plus you lose the main sling-bag advantage: being able to swing the bag around your body and open it up with the side panel facing up. (Or rather, you CAN still do that, but the camera won't be there!)

Other size benchmarks:

A Tamron 70-300, with hood attached, will fit but NOT while attached to the camera. It would probably fit with the hood reversed.

A Takumar 200/3.5 BARELY fits sideways with a hood attached. Again, no camera.

This works fine for me -- when the camera is stowed in the bag, it is usually wearing the walkaround 24-60.

I like this bag quite a bit. In addition to everything listed above, I can cram in a bunch of other things (AF360 flash, bulb blower and misc. cleaning supplies, M42 fisheye lens, 55mm macro lens, 4 or 5 smallish Takumars, battery charger, remote control, cable release, etc. etc. etc.) with little trouble. I can make it too heavy before I finish filling it, frankly.

But if I pick up any bigger lenses (I have my eye on a DA*60-250) I might have to upgrade.

06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

i have a k-x + 90mm macro + 16-45mmm + 55-300mm+ flash
+ 1tc and 1 ext tubes + cleaning kit + 8 batteries + 2 polarizing filters
it all fits in the 10 but no room for nothing else
06-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have gone through the numbers in a similar exercise to try and pick one. Dimensions on the Kata-bags website (eg 3N1-20)
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

In the 3N1 the body sits against one side at the opening with the lens across the bag for 'quick draw'.
The K-7 with a 50-135 is about 21cm from the LCD to the filter with hood reversed.
Internal dimension of the 3N1-10 is 19cm across (so no it wont fit) 3N1-20 is 22cm across. 3N1-30 is 29cm across (so this might even fit the with the hood mounted?)

The depth if the bag internally is 16cm on the 3N1-20&30 is 16cm and the 3N1-10 is 15cm so i assume this suits the K-7+grip. This depth would also suit the 16-50 and DFA100 "on end".
Plenty of room for the flash at the position they show in the website video.

I would think to get the larger versions 20 or 30 if you want to have the 50-135 mounted.

Not sure how you could pack in the 50-135 which is about 15cm long into the 3N-10 off camera.

If you are thinking to get either a 60-250 or DA300 in the future then only the 3N1-30 has the width.
06-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Very helpful Steve, thanks! I'm sure now that I'll at least get the 20, but most likely the 30. It's good to know that the K7 with grip on would fit... I just can't imagine how unhandy it would be to dismount the grip to put the camera away!

I'll check eBay prices on the 30...
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Very helpful Steve, thanks! I'm sure now that I'll at least get the 20, but most likely the 30. It's good to know that the K7 with grip on would fit... I just can't imagine how unhandy it would be to dismount the grip to put the camera away!

I'll check eBay prices on the 30...
I have a thirty for sale in the forum for sale section -mint and cheaper than any eBay listings!