Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A few questions about tripods.

Hello to all,

I am going to buy a tripod, so I need some advice.
I have been looking at Benro brand as I can buy it locally easily. I need a tripod for my K100D camera with kit lens for macro, night and low light shots, landscapes, may be portaiture...
Do you think this legs are good BENRO А-258m8? Aren't they too heavy for carring on the backpack? Do I need this extra height of 144 cm or I can get A-068m8 - 113 cm/2.5kg or A-168m8 - 120 cm/4kg?
What about this legs Giottos MG 9250B?
I am totally confused with heads - ball heads, 3-way heads. I am leanning to ball heads, but which ones: BH or B, and what size?

Any help will be appreciated!
Please give me an idea. I have read a lot of information about tripods, that's why I am confused!
Thanks!
PS. Let me give you some links.

dobs

Last edited by dobs; 06-18-2010 at 09:22 AM.
06-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can understand your confusion, especially if you have been reading manufacturers PR fluff I suggest you read opinions about tripods from real photographers:

Michael Reichmann gives some sound advice about tripods, especially on what really matters when buying one.

Dante stella demystifies the confusing jargon.

the bottom line is that get whatever you are comfortable carrying around with you..though don't be too slack. If you cheap out on your tripod, it will most likely become more of a hindrance than an asset in your photography.
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Digitalis /I would continue it to say "lanata"/ for the input. I've followed the links.

dobs
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I prefer ballheads. However, one thing to bear in mind is that it may be difficult to replicate the perfect setup with a ballhead vs. the geared and gimbaled variety. Although I haven't used Benro (use Gitzo), the ball diameter on the B series looks larger than that on the BH. I'd go for the B.

06-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #5

I'm very happy with my Benro

I' happy with my Benro C-269M8: folds to 14in, extends to 61in, weighs 3.5lb, supports 26lb. I recently took it to Hawaii for long hikes up waterfalls and volcano rims, it didn't seem too heavy after 2 hour hikes (compared to the rest of the stuff in my camera backpack). Even in a strong wind, with 300mm lens, the pictures were sharp when zoomed in 100% (they were blurry with my old light weight tripod).

I use the K20D&grip with flash and heavy lens. If you are using the K100D with kit lens, I think you should be fine with the lighter 168/9m8. The Carbon legs are lighter and offer better shock absorption. Getting the 5 section legs instead of the 4 section legs cost about 1.5sec extra time to setup and breakdown, but makes it easier (shorter) to carry.

Russ G.
06-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you rgibbons and MrPetkus for your replies.

I tought that 5 -section tripods are not stable enough and as so are not preferable. What head did you choose with your C-269M8 legs?

dobs
06-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The slik sprint pro II is a awesome lightwirght tripod, very steady, supports 4.4lbs ands it great value for under $100!
QuoteQuote:
Designed to travel, the SPRINT PRO II GM is a compact tripod with 4 legs sections to collapse down to less than 19 inches and weighs just under 2 lbs.

An updated version of the popular SLIK SPRINT PRO series the new SPRINT PRO II GM (gun metal finish) has padded leg wraps for more comfortable carrying. The new tripod also has a new SLIK SBH-100DQ all-metal compact ball head with quick release system for faster, easier mounting of a camera.

The SPRINT PRO II GM is a full sized tripod when it is extended to its maximum height of almost 64 inches. The adjustable legs angles can be used to splay the legs out and lower the tripod. When used with the built-in short center column, (the included center column unscrews into two pieces) the camera is just 6.4 inches off the ground for extremely low angle or macro photography out in the field. Another way to get the camera low is to reverse the center column which could be used for macro photography or copy work.

06-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Inactive Account

yeah i have just bought this tripod,it is very sturdy and i travel alot and it is very compact
06-19-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you are interested to DIY a centre column hook for the sprint pro II, u can have a look at this little "howto" here ->

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50943-diy-tripod-mounts-using...tml#post972002

Hope this is useful to anyone who are using the slik tripods
06-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buy the best you can afford. And a ballhead and with the ballhead buy the biggest.

I use my tripod for macro shots and long exposures almost exclusively. Don't worry that much about weight.
06-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #11

I tend to agree with Omega Leader. If the exposure is long and especially for macro.

I have been doing a lot of macro work and enjoy the Gitos 2220 Explorer - used for about $130.

They allow you to place the lens very close to your subject.

This is an illustration of the idea

explorer

Giottos and other manufactures make them as well. I would not worry too much about weight - I hike and if I need a tripod I take a bean bag or simple put less in my pack to take the additional weight of aluminum versus carbon.

This is an example of a Giottos

MTL 92/82 Professional Tripods
06-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Any time there is a tripod thread, I have to jump in and say how very happy I am with my Feisols. Very good tripods, and quite reasonably priced.
06-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any time there is a tripod thread, I have to jump in and say how very happy I am with my Feisols. Very good tripods, and quite reasonably priced.
Would you give me the model number . Thanks .
06-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the one I carry with me most of the time:
NEW FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3342 Rapid. Mine is the older one with the rapidly turning legs, which is something they seem to have fixed.

I use it with my 60-250 which is a fairly heavy lens with excellent results.

I also have one of their 3371 tripods, which I put a Wimberley head onto for my large teles. It tames my 600 almost as well as my 15 pound Zone VI wood tripod.
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thank you very much Wheatfield .
I'm thinking about getting a decent tripod and I know it can't be wrong with your recommendation .