Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dynatran carbon fiber monopod review

I just treated myself to a Dynatran carbon fiber monopod complete with ballhead. Since I hike a lot but have a somewhat weak knee a walking stick is mandatory, and I figured I could take advantage of that and get myself a monopod.

I bought the monopod from Henry's in Canada, something like 60$ shipped (CND). It comes with a carrying case that is very well made.

The monopod is very light, however the head (removable) is a bit on the heavy side, but it's very sturdy. The same can be said of the hole monopod. The head swivels laerally, which is great for panoramas, and is graduated in degrees! The ballhead is independant of the lateral swivel, Both lock in place firmly. There is a quick release plate. The camera can be put completely vertical.

The monopod foot has a strong spike but you can unscrew a rubber foot that covers the spike for fragile floors. The extending lens lock positively in place, however instead of a "flip switch" like some other tripods have, to extend or lock the legs you have to loosen a ring, which works well but maybe not as fast.

The monopod can be extended to be taller than I am, which might be a bit overkill but could come in handy on certain cliffs. Using three of the five sections will be enough for a walking stick. The monopod can bear 7 kgs IIRC. It's around 20 inches long when collapsed, including the head. One thing surprised me (not sure if it's standard) but the head screw is not the same size as the camera so I need to use the head. My other tripod has a "permanent" head so I have no experience with this.

I compared offerings from Manfrotto, Velbon and Gitzo and I would have had to pay over 150$ for an equivalent. Apart from the minor aspect of the locking rings, I have nothing but praise for this monopod. I can hardly believe I've gone so long without one.

Highly recommended!

06-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the contribution! You should add this here as well: PentaxForums.com Photo Software and Pentax Accessory Review Database - Monopods

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Will do. I had not noticed that there was a section for this, I thought it would become a maze really fast. I'll add it right away.