Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gitzo Traveller Tripod

Morning all.
Does anyone have this tripod, Gitzo Traveller GT1540T ?
I am trying to lighten my travel gear down and my regular tripod is the first victim, its just too big & heavy.
Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions. The folded length can not exceed 465mm.
Why even carry a tripod? Things called sunrises and sunsets generally turn out a bit better when I use one.
Thanks in advance for your valued input.
Grant

08-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Feisol #3401, 4 section tripod

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Morning all.
Does anyone have this tripod, Gitzo Traveller GT1540T ?
I am trying to lighten my travel gear down and my regular tripod is the first victim, its just too big & heavy.
Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions. The folded length can not exceed 465mm.
Why even carry a tripod? Things called sunrises and sunsets generally turn out a bit better when I use one.
Thanks in advance for your valued input.
Grant
Hi Grant,

May I suggest the Feisol #3401, 4 section carbon fiber tripod. Made in Taiwan. I bought mine off flea-Bay but you can buy directly from their website, I believe. It has twist locks instead of flip-locks, so they can't catch on things, and the locks are large & easy to handle in inclement weather (unlike the smaller Gitzo type).

I'm travelling right now and I can't get hold of a ruler. But I have my Feisol 3401 tripod with me and it is approximately 14-15 inches or a bit over 30 cm when completely folded up. It's sturdy, featherlight and quite good value for the high build quality. I have a couple of good ballheads (Markins M10 & Acratech) which I pair up with the tripod. It's a great combination and because it's a compact size and a solid performer, it is the tripod I use most. (I like mine so much I just bought a 2nd Feisol 3401 locally from someone who was getting rid of his like-new tripod).

If you go to nikonians.org, you will be able to find threads discussing the Markins M10 and the Feisol tripods.

Another suggestion: use a "L" bracket with the Feisol+M10/Acratech combo and you'll see why people rave about them.

Hope you and the family are doing well, especially Oscar. Are you spoiling him at every opportunity? Say hi to Anne for me.

-George
08-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi George,
Thanks for that, will check it out.
I am told that Oscar can now get from one end of the lounge room to the other in sub 6 seconds (should be walking soon)...much to the cats disgust.
All is good and hope the same is with you and your family.
Where have your travels taken you?
Cheers
Grant
08-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi George,
Thanks for that, will check it out.
I am told that Oscar can now get from one end of the lounge room to the other in sub 6 seconds (should be walking soon)...much to the cats disgust.
All is good and hope the same is with you and your family.
Where have your travels taken you?
Cheers
Grant
Well, I've been avoiding business travel for awhile. But it looks like I'll have to make at least 1 short trip to Toronto or Montreal this Fall.

2 weeks ago I got back from a 17 day vacation in Northern Ontario and Toronto.

I was back at work for 1 week and now I'm on another vacation in the center part of B.C., the North Okanagan to be precise. I'm teaching my youngest how to ride a bicycle, my big project for the week. That, plus riding small hobby trains and eating ice cream at a local fruit stand/farm.

08-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will post this as it may assist others with their decision making process.
The heaviest lens' I have are the Sig 135-400 & EX 24mm f1.8.

My criteria for the tripod search was driven by fitting it into luggage for airline travel, so I was limited by the folded length of the tripod, which could be no more than 500mm. Weight was an issue, although not critical, as at the end of the day the difference between the heaviest & the lightest is not back breaking.

A major consideration was the fact I already have some manfrotto gear (tripod was too big, some 610mm folded), so I did not want to introduce another "system" of plates, heads etc.

After much searching I had it narrowed down to a few, including Manfrotto, Fiesol, Gitzo, Velbon etc. Prices ranged from approx $170 aussie up to $600 plus....

However, after roadtesting a couple of these light weight beauties I was having serious doubts, particularly given what I was going to pay. My concerns were that none of them felt solid, they all had a degree of flex that left me unconvinced....when compared to my manfrotto.

I finally ended up with a superseded, but new, pro model aluminum tripod that folds down to 520mm....for $99!!

Its as solid as a rock, fits in the bag on the diagnol and I'm a few bucks better off. It pays to roadtest and shop around.
Cheers
Grant