Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Battery Grip + Strap + Tripod plate Solution

i just got a battery grip and the first thing i noticed was that the neck strap kept getting in my way. the second thing was that i wanted to keep my tripod quick-release plate (arca-swiss type).

the quick-release plate turned out to be no big deal because it's a small one and holding the camera in portrait mode is not really uncomfortable with the plate attached. that is, it's there and a little bit in the way but not too bad at all.

the neck strap was driving me nuts though so it had to go.
i've been thinking about getting something like the r-strap and after searching online found people looking for ways to hook up their quick-release plate with the r-strap connector. this looked way too bulky and i wanted a solution now and for free

the answer was simple - use a key ring to connect both sides of the strap together and connect the key ring with the strap to 1 of the nifty strap rings that come with the k-7. see pic below.

i think the next step will be to add a small bolt snap or gate and get a more comfortable neck strap. then i will really be ready for the scott kelby photo walk!

Attached Images

06-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also try a Camdapter type plate, or I think Kirk makes some like this: this is an Arca-style plate with a slot for an end of your camera strap, so you can attach a strap vertically and/or a handgrip strap.

(I'd be just a little concerned about putting too much weight on the single strap lug, if you put any heavy lenses on there or anything.)
06-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
the heaviest lens i have now is the metal+glass-solid-as-a-rock FA 100 macro and i don't think it's too heavy for the single strap lug.
the strap lug feels really solid and i am sure that it can support quiet a lot of weight. although if i had a lens that used a tripod mount i would think again...

also, i like the small quick-release plate and the fact that nothing is hanging off of it and getting in the way