Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D grip terminal rubber bung

Hi,

When I bought my (used) K20D it was together with the grip. So, only much later when I wanted to used the K20D without grip that I realize, the grip terminal doesn't have its rubber bung anymore

This is the small black rubber with the word "PULL" on it (see attached picture). Its purpose is to cover the grip terminal when no grip is attached. I suppose this rubber bung is part of weather-sealing feature of K20D. I'm not sure, can my camera get damaged if some liquid enters the unprotected grip terminal and making contact with the pins?

I'm having problem getting the right keyword to search this rubber thingie on the internet. Do some shops actually sell this part which I presume, got lost often? And any suggestions, what keyword I should use to find them.

All helps and comments are much appreciated. TIA.

Attached Images

06-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It would probably be easiest to get a hold of a local/national pentax rep to obtain a replacement. That said, looking at the contact area it is similar to my weather-sealed handheld gps - and those contacts are exposed, no covering. Nonetheless, you are probably best off getting a replacement, Pentax is probably a good place to start!
06-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PentaxImaging store sells them directly. This one is show as for the K10 but I don't know it its the same as K20D. Might take a reply from someone who has both. Yes, its $9.95 for a $0.25 piece of rubber but solves the problem.

PentaxWebstore Bottom Cap K10D
06-28-2010, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Juat a thought

Make sure it is not on the grip.

There is a place on the top side of the grip (mating surface for bottom of camera) where this piece is placed while the grip is on the camera. It is a blank hole intended for this purpose.

And yes, the K10D and K20D are the same piece. I know because I used the grip for both and put the rubber piece from both in the holder on the grip referenced above. Same piece.

woof!

06-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not to state the obvious, but just in case you're unaware:

Did you look for the bung on the part of the grip that normally faces the underside of the camera? That's where they're supposed to be stored.

Just in case you hadn't known.

edit: (Oops, crossed posts with Woof. )
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It would probably be easiest to get a hold of a local/national pentax rep to obtain a replacement. That said, looking at the contact area it is similar to my weather-sealed handheld gps - and those contacts are exposed, no covering. Nonetheless, you are probably best off getting a replacement, Pentax is probably a good place to start!
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
The PentaxImaging store sells them directly. This one is show as for the K10 but I don't know it its the same as K20D. Might take a reply from someone who has both. Yes, its $9.95 for a $0.25 piece of rubber but solves the problem.

PentaxWebstore Bottom Cap K10D
Thanks! Although Pentax Imaging Store does not ship internationally, googling "Pentax Bottom Cap" gives me a lot of alternatives. And yes I believe the grip for K10D and K20D is the same.
06-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Not to state the obvious, but just in case you're unaware:

Did you look for the bung on the part of the grip that normally faces the underside of the camera? That's where they're supposed to be stored.

Just in case you hadn't known.

edit: (Oops, crossed posts with Woof. )
Yup I've looked there and it's empty. Apparently the previous owner didn't bother to store it there
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Thanks! Although Pentax Imaging Store does not ship internationally, googling "Pentax Bottom Cap" gives me a lot of alternatives. And yes I believe the grip for K10D and K20D is the same.
Yes, they're the same, incidentally.

07-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K10D (also bought used) was missing the bottom cap. I ordered one through a local camera store (Henrys). It took a couple of weeks and too much money, but is worth it to keep the rain out when you don't have the grip on.

(Now you've reminded me that it's also missing from the bottom of my MZ-S :-)
07-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a Small Piece Should Do It.